Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Rusty House wins architectural commendation

On 24 Oct 2016 at 2:37pm roland wrote:
I read the Rusty House won a commendation in the Telegraph's Home Building and Renovating Awards. It seems the house is receiving some architectural merit. What do the people of Lewes feel about that?
On 24 Oct 2016 at 2:51pm Hmm wrote:
Tricky one to separate personal feeling from rational reasoning.
I have seen the program and the cost, given the size (small for cost), location (not my first choice as too open with poor access - my cats would be dead in a week living there) and end result (usual and quite striking), I feel it does deserve some merit. But if I had spent that much and ended up with that house in that location I would feel disappointed.
On 24 Oct 2016 at 3:45pm Janet Street Preacher wrote:
I really can't see what all the fuss is about, it looks like a car showroom to me and just because it has rusty metal for a roof doesn't make it architecturally exciting.
Culverwells is more attractive in my opinion
On 24 Oct 2016 at 4:45pm Towney wrote:
I actually love the design. I love the colour of it, i like the glass and i love the location.
Don't know why, can't put my finger on it but i love it.
On 24 Oct 2016 at 4:53pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I can see that the design has some merit, although I hate the rusty finish.
However, I will never forgive it for obscuring the view of the very attractive pink house next door. That house is so lovely and, to me, epitomises the best of Lewes. It set the scene for people arriving in Lewes, and always made me feel I was back at home when I drove into town via the tunnel.
To lose that lovely aspect to a "rusty shed" was a tragedy.
On 24 Oct 2016 at 5:57pm Mark wrote:
Snap Annette. I work in Eastbourne and the pink house and the chalk cliff with shades of sunset lighting it up as I head towards the tunnel have always been a big part of the return home. Good-bye Eastbourne, hello Lewes. It's quite a cool house though. I'll adapt.
On 24 Oct 2016 at 6:56pm GirlAboutTahn wrote:
I quite like it. You'd have to put some curtains up though wouldn't you?
On 24 Oct 2016 at 8:42pm La bon feur wrote:
I love it. All the more so because it annoys the narrow minded and small of brain.
On 24 Oct 2016 at 8:50pm Local wrote:
But what about the whistling in the wind? A major design fault.
On 24 Oct 2016 at 8:54pm La bon feur wrote:
More of a feature perhaps?
On 24 Oct 2016 at 9:10pm Local wrote:
Great. Impose noise pollution on your neighbours and passers-by! Think about it...
On 24 Oct 2016 at 9:21pm Tim wrote:
I really don't hate it and I really don't love it.So I suppose I think it's ok,but I was hoping to really like it.

On 24 Oct 2016 at 10:39pm La bon feur wrote:
Present your evidence Local
On 25 Oct 2016 at 12:17am Local wrote:
Go listen for yourself when the wind's blowing. I don't think it's at all times because obviously wind directions change and a certain speed is necessary. But there's no secret about it.

23 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Tiled House 86:132
Lewes Tiled House

HS2 springs to mind. What a waste of money and environment. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington