Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Rude cyclist

On 30 Apr 2013 at 9:15pm Lewes 30 wrote:
If the rude cyclist that I came across in the high street this evening is reading this then I have a few things to say as you are to chicken to face the person that you shout abuse at,
Firstly I suggest you read the Highway Code, you will then see that attempting to overtake a car on the offside when it is turning right is not the right thing to do,
And to then shout Abuse at the driver is just dumb,
As for shouting "lose some weight" we'll how pathetic can you be.
Putting some lights on your bike would also be a good thing if you are going to continue to ride at night...
On 30 Apr 2013 at 9:38pm Cyclists against Come wrote:
If you came across me without asking I'd be really angered too. Next you'll be saying you came over a little queer. You're wrong, just wrong!
On 30 Apr 2013 at 9:45pm Disgusted wrote:
@lewes 30, you're disgusting, you're lucky they didn't call the police! Coming accros complete strangers is outrageous!
On 30 Apr 2013 at 9:47pm Lewes 30 wrote:
There are some strange people who post on this sight!!!
On 30 Apr 2013 at 10:01pm Hard to Breath wrote:
Strange people like you, you nutter? Who cares that you're an inconsiderate pollution spewing cow that is intolerant of cyclist saving the planet. Get a life, be mindful road user.

On 30 Apr 2013 at 10:07pm Ed Can Do wrote:
On a related but less serious note, the signs either end of the lights up the hill from Glyndebourne saying "Cyclists dismount" mean that if you're on a bike, you should get off and push your bike on the footpath, not just carry on cycling through the roadworks at half a mile an hour meaning that by the time the cars stuck behind you get through, the lights are green at the other end and cars are coming from that direction.

Just saying...

On 30 Apr 2013 at 10:07pm Lewes 30 wrote:
I'm amused by your post hard to breath, yes I am intolerant of those who choose to use public roads but have no regard for laws or common sense, they are a menace.
On 30 Apr 2013 at 10:14pm On Ya Bike wrote:
If you tried riding a bike for change, you'd probably be a better road user and probably less fat, have a salad!

On 30 Apr 2013 at 10:41pm Lewes 30 wrote:
You do make me laugh on ya bike,
I have no desire to ride to bike on a main road and disrupt the traffic.
As for being a better driver, I've been a professional driver for 8 years and have not 1 single blemish on my record.
On 1 May 2013 at 1:08am Pedant wrote:
Well.
Site.
One.
On 1 May 2013 at 4:47am Horseman7 wrote:
Keep up Pedant, you missed a "too".

On 1 May 2013 at 7:48am Grandpa wrote:
All these trollish, illiterate and rude posts directed against Lewes 30 only confirm what the rest of us tend to consider as unacceptable behaviour from cyclists.
Quite rightly, cyclists would like to experience considerate behaviour from other road users, although they continue to behave inconsiderately in return. Apart from the usual complaints about skipping traffic lights etc, there is also their behaviour towards pedestrians.
They ride on the pavement, or on a footpath, where people going in the same direction never receive the warning of a cycle bell to alert them as the cyclist whizzes past on silent wheels.
One reason is that they have no bells on their bikes. Why not?
Isn't it time the police checked bells and lights on bikes, as they used to. Of course, even if they did have a bell, the rude type of cyclist would not condescend to use it!
One of these days there will be an accident and I am pretty sure cyclists don't carry the same type of insurance that car owners do. They will get off scot free as usual

On 1 May 2013 at 8:45am Rookie wrote:
The same numpty cyclist is still whizzing flat out through the bottle neck at 6am every day. The traffic lights seem totally irrelevant to him.
On 1 May 2013 at 10:27am Trick Cyclist wrote:
Thanks for tarring us all with the same brush. I ride considerately, I have a bell on my bike and I adhere to the rules of the road. I think you'll find a lot of pedestrians, including some posters on here don't realise that many Lewes paths are joint cycle/foot paths and are to be shared. I get these fools deliberately blocking my way and my bell just makes them stand fast. After a ding ding and an excuse me,with no response, I generally barge past and I consider that to be the pedestrians pig headed, under knowledged fault. The highway code is for pedestrians too. I suggest you read it! As for some car drivers, I'll take the risk of being knocked off if they want to take the risk of a nice big payout in my direction.
On 1 May 2013 at 10:28am Pedestrian wrote:
Time: 9.30 this morning
Place: Cliffe High Street.
Event: Cyclist in full lycra heading towards Cliffe bridge at speed(that means 25 mph +). Oncoming Police car had to take avoiding action as cyclist unable to slow down.
Possible outcome: Badly injured or dead person who steps into road.
Cure: Cyclist needs to be aware that bikes can cause immense damage when ridden in an environment where due care and attention should be exercised.
Warning: Please slow down, although you may cycle in this direction, don't continue to pedal through the pedestrian area of Cliffe precint as you will be stopped and fined.
On 1 May 2013 at 11:02am Grandpa wrote:
Trick Cyclist: I agree it is annoying when someone blocks your way, but don't you realise that if you are behind them they can't see you, and if your bike is well maintained they can't hear you either. If they then freeze when they hear your bell, they need to turn round to see you. If they step aside without looking, to one side or the other, that may very well be the side you are travelling on. You need to be a bit patient, just as we are with you.

On 1 May 2013 at 11:28am jrsussex wrote:
The majority of cyclists do not have a bell fitted, one only has to look to confirm that. Riding on pavements whether they are joint pedestrian/cycle ways or not is alright but what is incredibly stupid is to ride at top speed when pedestrians are in the locality.
Also bear in mind that when ringing your bell, or more often doing nothing, the person you want out of your way may be deaf or hard of hearing, I like many older people do not have the hearing quality as when I was younger. It is very simple, as with most things in life try being more reasonable.
On 1 May 2013 at 12:23pm Clifford wrote:
Bike hits car - minor scratch. Car hits bike - badly injured cyclist.
On 1 May 2013 at 12:28pm Clifford wrote:
jrsussex - As a cyclist I believe cyclists who ride on the pavement should have their cycles confiscated. It is incredibly annoying to see adults doing that. If they find the road frightening they shouldn't have a bike at all.

On 1 May 2013 at 1:09pm Southover Queen wrote:
Trick Cyclist - how does one know if a path is shared or not? I don't think I've ever seen a sign, and as a pedestrian on a path I would assume that it single use only unless advised otherwise.
I used to ride a bike a lot when I worked in London, but Lewes is just too dangerous. The hills are too steep and the roads are too narrow - just the other day I was creeping up Winterbourne Hollow behind a cyclist desperately trying to make it up to the prison crossroads. Luckily I was a long way behind her because eventually she just fell off...
On 1 May 2013 at 1:31pm phantom wrote:
you wanna see the dickheads going down station street full pelt on the pavement its only a matter of time before they give somebody a serious injury

On 1 May 2013 at 4:34pm Spooked wrote:
Spooky or what Southover Queen "I was creeping up Winterbourne Hollow behind a cyclist" "desperately trying to make it up to the prison ". Please do tell more..

On 1 May 2013 at 4:49pm Southover Queen wrote:
Hah! Yes, fair enough, Spooked: "I was driving in first gear up Winterbourne Hollow behind a cyclist who was struggling to get to the prison crossroads". Who then fell off.

There. All clear?

On 1 May 2013 at 5:27pm Spooked wrote:
I just had a Enid Blyton moment that's all..
Is a little clearer now.. I think...
On 1 May 2013 at 5:59pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
While we're having a rant about the looniness of the lycra louts, why do they persist in the disgusting habit of spitting and/or snotting? Isn't there room in the lycra for them to carry a hanky?
They are a damn menace, especially on the C7. They might not produce emissions themselves (apart from their copious outpourings of phlegm and mucus), but they cause cars to produce a lot more than they would otherwise by causing queues of vehicles to drive at 20mph for miles at a time.
And as for a "minor scratch" when a cyclist hits a car, tell that to my colleague. A wobbly cyclist managed to scratch practically the entire side of her large estate car. Cost to put it right was almost a grand!
On a more positive note, have any other drivers noticed how very polite motorcyclists are these days? Now we're having some good weather at last, there seem to be loads of bikers out and every time I have tucked my car close into the kerb so they know I've seen them and it's safe to overtake me, or slowed down so they can continue to get to the head of a queue of oncoming traffic, they've given a wave or nod to say thank you without fail. It's quite endearing.

On 1 May 2013 at 6:31pm Ogri wrote:
I often gave a wave and a nod as I thundered my Ariel motorcycle around tiny streets.
On 1 May 2013 at 7:46pm Sussex Jim wrote:
A good post, Annette. Any vehicle travelling at less than 20 mph in a situation where following motor traffic cannot pass is going to involve more pollution being generated than if they could otherwise proceed at a normal speed.
This also applies to the recycling "milk floats" operated by LDC. They may be "green" electric vehicles (although most electricity still comes from coal-fired power stations) ; but they also cause more pollution from following vehicles as they creep back to the depot with a full load and depleted battery.
And before I get a rant from the cycling fraternity, just remember that the motor vehicle (not just cars) has been around for more than a century; and used by the majority. Not the minority who play around with bicycles and horses on the road.

On 2 May 2013 at 11:42am Kettle wrote:
We should all be very grateful to cyclists for not using a car.

9 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Love 70:132
Lewes Love

I pay lots of subscription fees for various tv, film and music services....including the BBC....i can't recall ever feeling... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina