Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Rubbish by river

On 6 Jun 2015 at 11:56pm Annoyed wrote:
A large group of adults and children had what looked a very nice BBQ and picnic by the river today (close to the railway arch and gated path to Hamsey. What isn't so lovely is that they thought it was acceptable to leave a box of bottles and cans, and bags of rubbish, as well as still-burning BBQ coals in the grass.
On 7 Jun 2015 at 12:34am Picnic Dumpers wrote:
I once told a woman who seemed to be about 30 to 40 years of age, that she had dropped her fish & chip wrappings on the floor in the Street and she looked at me as though I were completely mad & started to be abusive. She was very indignant & there was no way that she intended to do anything about it.
Apart from actually holding her there & making her clear up her mess, I was powerless.
Another time I was with my daughter who was about 4 years old at the time, she had noticed someone dropping a sweet wrapper and my daughter looked horrified at me & wanted me to do something about it. I just picked up the wrapper & put it in a bin.. But she just couldn't understand why people should just throw their debris on the floor.
In the case of the Picnickers:
Maybe I might have asked, how do they expect their Box of Bottles & Cans etc to get cleared up? Especially if they had children with them. But on the other hand you might have left yourself open to a load of abuse.
On 7 Jun 2015 at 5:52am Flotsam wrote:
Not maybe..... you Would have been abused !
On 7 Jun 2015 at 5:54am Jetsam wrote:
Well said
On 7 Jun 2015 at 10:14am Tda wrote:
That's a shame. I saw them too, perhaps they are planning to go back today and clean up.
On 7 Jun 2015 at 10:38am Metatron wrote:
I was parked outside the Mc D's in Eastbourne one lunchtime. Opposite was a Chelsea Tractor full of kids with the windows wound down and the kids were throwing the food wrappers out of the window.
I got out and spoke to the middle aged lady driver and pointed out there was a bin three spaces down.
She told me in the front of the children to F..k.off and mind my own busness. Moments later she throw the happy meal box out of the window and drove off, whilst giving me her middle finger.
Next time I shall not get involved.

On 7 Jun 2015 at 11:11am A Person wrote:
In all these circumstances I'd be tempted to get my phone out and record some evidence. A picture online (and even better some footage online) of these jokers would very likely be most embarrassing.
On 7 Jun 2015 at 2:13pm Annoyed wrote:
Yes I should have taken a photo of the rubbish but those responsible were nowhere to be seen. We did hang about for a bit thinking they might come back but no sign. Hopefully they will come back and clear it up, otherwise the farmer at Offham or the river warden will have to dispose of it before the cows are put out to graze there again.
On 7 Jun 2015 at 2:56pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
Metatron - It sounds as if that woman broke the law on two counts, so you would have been within your rights to report her. I know the police have a reputation for being reluctant to pursue minor cases like this, but their website has a facility to report anti-social driving (and as she was behind the wheel, it should count). It was very brave of you to have a word in the first place. The more of us that act instead of complaining, the better, although people shouldn't jeopardise their safety - I once had a go at someone for being rude to an old lady on the bus and got punched in the face! So the moral is: make sure they're smaller than you first
On 7 Jun 2015 at 9:38pm litter picker wrote:
I once saw a group of young lads toss their Mc donalds wrappers out of their car window while they were parked in Newhaven. so I kindly picked them up and stuffed them back threw their window.

On 7 Jun 2015 at 10:24pm Englishman wrote:
You must realise that CT drivers can park-and do- what they like!
Seriously, though; you could have noted the reg. and taken the wrappers to the Police station as evidence. Even better if you had taken a picture.
the Police may have rolled their eyes and reluctantly logged your complaint: but if they followed it up with a visit to Mrs.Chav it may have done some good.
On 8 Jun 2015 at 12:50am Rookie wrote:
A few years ago I said to this guy lighting a cigarette, quite politely, that it was no smoking in this restaurant. Him and his 2 buddies then gave me the worst beating I've ever had while the staff and a couple of other customers just looked on. Never again.
On 8 Jun 2015 at 1:17pm Old Bloke wrote:
Some very tall stories being aired on here

On 9 Jun 2015 at 10:29am Earl of Lewes wrote:
Really? They don't sound outlandish to me. I used to work at a magistrates court and cases like these weren't unusual.

On 15 Jun 2015 at 4:41pm Chris Packet wrote:
While some are content just to moan about the litter, or waste dropping people for dropping sweet wrappers I actually go and pick it up. Seen quite a few people walk along turning a blind eye to litter in the country side/ on the streets because they didn't put it there, so it's 'not their problem' and 'somebody else should pick it up' surely if we all went along leading by example and going litter picking, the whole county would look impeccable. More to the point, perhaps if we collected up all the useless bits of plastic packaging, clubbed them all together and then dumped them on food manufacturers/ suppliers doorsteps company's might have a re-think and stop packaging products in so much unnecessary guff in the first place

22 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Keere Street Lewes 49:132
Keere Street Lewes

Eddi: Amazon delivered your parcels to us today you've got the wrong address in your account.

Please let me know what you... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Believe you can or believe you can't... Either way you're right
Paul