Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Route timings

On 8 Oct 2016 at 12:35pm Southover smuggler wrote:
Can someone confirm what time Southover will be walking down the town from western road ?? There programme says 9.30 but that can't be right. ???
On 8 Oct 2016 at 1:16pm Old Bike wrote:
This might help.

Check it out here »
On 8 Oct 2016 at 4:21pm outlander wrote:
Someone trying to stir up trouble, surely not! could be Borough! .It's all been discussed and agreed on at BONCO so stop whining.
On 8 Oct 2016 at 4:57pm Nellie Second wrote:
All timings are approximate as it depends how much of a rest Cliffe need after struggling up School Hill ..
On 8 Oct 2016 at 5:26pm Cliffe Struggler wrote:
The Cliffe DO NOT struggle up School Hill! We struggle to get our members out of the pub to form up. This issue has been addressed this year as we will be wheeling a mobile bar up the hill complete with bar stools and a fruit machine
On 8 Oct 2016 at 6:44pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I thought the Cliffe fire engine was a mobile bar. All the old codgers sit on it and it carries their beer for them
On 8 Oct 2016 at 8:41pm Adele wrote:
Oh God ! We're up for a month of this, at least !!
On 9 Oct 2016 at 1:08am FIREMAN SAM wrote:
Annette, The amount of beer that engine holds, take it from me the engine weighs twice as much early on, but gets lighter as the evening go on.
On 9 Oct 2016 at 8:03am Dynamo wrote:
It says 9.30 in their programme but will be more like 10 pm so they probably won't arrive to the firesite until 11 at the earliest. I wish I knew why they think that is acceptable. Their members will be waiting up the top of town for nearly two hours and the public will be waiting on their firesite. Oh well, if that's what they want....
On 9 Oct 2016 at 11:28am Routemaster wrote:
Are Southover intending to storm the Cliffe Bridge early in the evening, just in time to disrupt the programme of processions and barrel races that South Street and the CBS have agreed with everyone? That standoff has been one of the highlights of recent Fifths. Last minute re-routing of processions takes a huge amount of skill and knowledge and, amusingly, Southover regularly demonstrate that the necessary talents to do this well have passed them by.
On 9 Oct 2016 at 4:25pm tosh tattle wrote:
Hi Roger, I wondered when you would comment!
What ever everyone on here is b*tch*ing about, they need to remember that it's a day for every society to hold fast on, not pull each other apart. I have heard that SBS rarely get what they want, they get what the bully boys of Cliffe and Borough allow them. Shame.
On 9 Oct 2016 at 7:47pm All for one wrote:
I can confirm that all timings have been agreed with all societies. Southover have been made aware and fully understand that they are not to move off until borough and the crowd that follows them have passed into spital road. Boroughs planned time is 9.30 but will be more like 9.40 being as it's a Saturday. So Southover will be lucky if they get away before 10.10pm. I have seen the email exchange between both societies so Southover are fully aware that they will be waiting for an hour and half or longer. SBS are not hard done by from bully boys from Cliffe or borough. They just tend to listen to the more experienced people in bonfire.
On 9 Oct 2016 at 8:22pm Tarquin Ponsington wrote:
Excuse me but us in the Southover bonfire parade have just as much right to cross Cliffe bridge as anyone else and if those smelly oiks in Cliffe have to wait for the police to clear the way for us at short notice and for us to work out how to turn our parade back around in the narrow street well that's just tough rasberries. I moved here in 2014 so I think you'll find I'm pretty clued up about this bonfire parading business!
On 9 Oct 2016 at 9:01pm Tom wrote:
Tarquin you have no idea.police do not clear the way. If routes and timings are not carried through as arranged. Then the whole night will be thrown in to chaos. Southover will not be crossing any bridges.
On 10 Oct 2016 at 8:19am WUNT BE DRUV wrote:
I'm curious to know the reasons that Southover have for wanting to come down through the town so late.
In all seriousness, I find SBS a concern. For what ever reason they have a massive membership and yet are organised by a committee and captains who seem to be making it up as they go along. This is a recipe for the perfect storm the consequences of which could affect all societies down the line.
Their lack of attendance at both Lewes and Sussex BONCO meetings is a concern, not just on of levels of communication but all so by the fact these are the places that they may actually learn something.
With in the other Lewes societies there is plenty of banter but deep respect is shared and most importantly, when it comes to the 5th, we work together to coordinate are separate evenings.
On 10 Oct 2016 at 9:03am Wotcha wrote:
When will Southover arrive at their Firesite, if they are still processing around the town after 10.30pm? Where is their FireWire this year?

On 10 Oct 2016 at 9:05am Wotcha wrote:
FireWire? I meant Firesite, of course.
On 10 Oct 2016 at 9:30am Ele man wrote:
There fire site is Stanley turner ground. With a procession of over a 1000 members if they leave western road at 10.10 (and it will be). They will arrive at there site about 11pm. There is no thought from Southover on this. Crowds will be heading back to the train station at this time. Which they will stop to watch. Causeing problems at the train station. Hope sbs officers are prepared for the back lash there going to get. From there members. Other societies. And other organisers of the night.
On 10 Oct 2016 at 3:32pm Fitness Fred wrote:
I can assure you that all at SBS at very physically fit (it is a requirement of the society that we maintain our membership of the David Lloyd Gym). So for our final procession (ha ha you tried to catch us out with parade didnt you?!) we will be jogging to our firesite ...
On 10 Oct 2016 at 4:02pm watsit wrote:
ele man,
where did you get a figure like 1000 from? Cliffe maybe, not southover.
For those of you who know, becasue you are actually at BONCO, you know that SBS have been attending meetings and that alot of this is just s**t stirring. So muc for the bonfire spirit, more of a bunfight again. BORING!

On 10 Oct 2016 at 4:45pm Ele man wrote:
It didn't say we had a 1000 members. But with bands and visiting societies we will be a 1000. And our final procession isn't to your fire site ??? Don't think there's any s...stirring going on just concerned people. I am a sbs member. And I'm also concerned that we will be standing at the top of town for a very long time.
On 10 Oct 2016 at 4:54pm Billy Bull wrote:
A lot of this is just stirring. Have to say I've only met a handful of people from SBS who I wouldn't be happy to have around me on the 5th. Still, good to see Cliffe failing again to try and be the most controversial society in Lewes.
On 10 Oct 2016 at 6:53pm Gas man wrote:
Billy bull what have Cliffe said to be controversial?
On 10 Oct 2016 at 8:11pm Mr. Therm wrote:
Have they said "No Popery "?

On 12 Oct 2016 at 5:35pm Jonjo wrote:
Ele man there will be enough trouble at the train station when people realise they can't get home .I would be very suprised if any of the societies get to their fireside before 11pm apart from south St .everytime it falls on a sat the crowd is so large the timings are all to cock

On 12 Oct 2016 at 6:50pm Ele man wrote:
Jonjo. Again someone who don't no what there talking about. Every society will get there just about on time. In fact most will be finished.

On 12 Oct 2016 at 8:35pm Jonjo wrote:
Lol I've been in bonfire for nearly fifty years ele man and I can assure you it's been tried before and never works all it needs is a hold up early on and it all goes tits up see how far I'm out .but as you say I don't know what I'm taliking about

10 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Arms Penny 56:132
Lewes Arms Penny

HS2 springs to mind. What a waste of money and environment. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If you lend someone £20 and don't see them again it was probably worth it.
Dan