Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Rock in bog name change = trouble?

On 9 Apr 2014 at 11:48pm Woodliketomeet wrote:
I am a firm favourite of the Rock in The Bog festival and the money it raises for the Cliffe. But I am not alone in suggesting that last year capacity was pushed and a name change this year (deliberately made to sound like a large festival) has caused a surge in unwanted attention. If people are lead to believe this is a gentleman of the road affair. Then we will all be in trouble.
On 10 Apr 2014 at 12:02am Guitartheoryo wrote:
I think that after "Gentle man of the road" made so much revenue for the local businesses that a bit of false advertising couldn't go amiss. Even if it is for bloody Cliffe
On 10 Apr 2014 at 10:43am Sjep76 wrote:
I have heard that calling it "ROCK in the Bog" they feel it limits the type of music that can be played. With a more general name more musical genres can be played i.e. people won't be expecting just rock music.
On 10 Apr 2014 at 3:57pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Yeah, the name change is purely to reflect the much wider range of music on offer. There is still the same limit on number of tickets available and whilst Hayseed Dixie are awesome, I suspect they won't draw in quite the crowds of Mumford. Last time they played Lewes during the Lewes Guitar Festival there can't have been more than 700 people there.

What kind of attention is unwanted attention by the way?

On 10 Apr 2014 at 7:51pm Sedge wrote:
Last year me and a few of my mates did the local festival hat trick.
First we went to Love Supreme out at Glynde the next weekend we went to Rock in The Bog and then the third weekend we went to Mumfords.
It was a great month and we really enjoyed each festival mainly because each had a different vibe.
I had all ways been put off going to rock in the bog because I don't really like bonfire and knowing that it was organised by the Cliffe I had visions of loads of people walking round in stripy jumpers letting off bangers. This couldn't have been further from the truth. But for a few in Cliffe T shirts and sweatshirts you wouldn't have been aware that the event had been organised by the society. Looking back I think I enjoyed this one the best of the lot. The weather was kind there were more than enough people there to make an atmosphere and most importantly there was a real ale tent selling at just £3 a pop. I didn't know any of the bands but all were really good.
I'm not to sure about the new name of the festival either but I am very sure about Hayseed Dixie. Ask anyone who saw them at the guitar festival a few years ago they are certainly worth seeing.
As for Love Supreme this year, the line up is is well below last years standard and the price is a bit steep as well. Not going to bother one.
Bring on the summer

On 11 Apr 2014 at 1:50pm OP's legs wrote:
Someone's gonna have to shift a few fallen trees methinks for access.
No-one has actually said what the new name is?

On 11 Apr 2014 at 4:24pm Helpful Hanna wrote:
I understand that the new name is - LEWES LIVE
"A revamped Rock in the Bog but with more choice for all the family, from Rock and Folk to Ska and Blues, there will be something for everyone.
There’s still free camping included in your ticket price and a great selection of beers and ciders will still be available at the Torchmakers Thumb."
There's a new website with all the details. www.leweslive.com

30 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Infernal reflections 46:132
Infernal reflections

Ugh, you give TP an inch and he takes a mile with eugenics and other wackadoodle stuff. I do sense though that the power is... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare