Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Road construction cockup?

On 13 Apr 2010 at 8:39pm No Pot Pourri wrote:
I noticed that in the central reservation as you go into Brighton, just by Southern Water, there has been a lot of construction work. Looks like a bridge or something. The contractor has spent some time piling, then building what looks like a massive reinforced concrete 'side' to a bridge. Late last week I saw a big machine tearing it down. I was too scared to approach the workers on site, so does anyone know what happened?

On 14 Apr 2010 at 5:51am Stig of the dump wrote:
These are two flyover supports. These roadworks are designed that when you come off the A27 by southern water, you won't go down the dip but will go over the flyover. I think the existing southern water slip road will be used for access to stanmer park only.

Apparently, the one that was knocked down had some flaws in it which could've compremised it's long term safety. It was decided to knock it down and rebuild it at the contractors cost.

On 14 Apr 2010 at 9:13am No Pot Pourri wrote:
Mistakes are bound to happen but so often they get covered up or bodged. It is quite refreshing to see the contractor remedy the defect at their own expense.

On 14 Apr 2010 at 9:40am Down and Out wrote:
It's just a wild guess, but:
For every structural concrete pour on a job like that you take 4in cubes from the mix. These go to a lab and get crushed to test the strength: one at 7 days & one at 28 days when the mix acheives (more or less) full strength. On site you plough on regardless. Concrete is a peculiar form of alchemy and sometimes what happens is that the 7 day cube is OK but the 28 day one fails. By this time you'll often have covered the offending concrete in a ton more concrete (or brickwork or whatever) so unless repairs or remedial works are possible everything has to go. File under 'sh1t happens'. Contractor pays; tries to recover costs off the readymix supplier.

On 17 Apr 2010 at 2:45am BP wrote:
One of the flyovers is for people coming out of stammer park and being able to turn right to go into brighton,And at the begining part of the entrance to the park will be another entrance to the uni for a spare car park for any extras going to the new stadium.

32 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Cross 67:132
Lewes Cross

Hello Lewes Forum, I have an enquiry.
Does anyone know of an enclosed field near Lewes where our delightful but errant 10 month... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell