Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Road Rage2

On 30 Nov 2016 at 12:21pm Robbie wrote:
@FromLaughton, which part of my advice to you suggest I revise?
On 30 Nov 2016 at 12:45pm Also scared wrote:
It's not other cars etc that are hard to see in a dark road such as the Laughton one, it's nocturnal animals (as @Pedro says), branches on the road etc. At 40 mph there's a lot more chance of taking evasive action than at 60; and don't forget that @Intimidated had 2 young children in the car.
On 30 Nov 2016 at 1:24pm We've had our fun wrote:
Basically ESCC don't give a hoot about Road safety. We have really dangerous roads in Laughton used by all the idiots as there are no restrictions or law enforcement. I have been trying to get Michael Higgs who is the senior Road safety officer to help reduce the boyracers near me. My God is this guy lazy and evasive. He allegedly surveyed the road and when I asked for results he took 2weeks (foia) to tell me he drove up the road twice at 9.30 am which is about the quietest part of day! He doesn't even understand what I am asking him to look at, totally unfit for his salary. Please contact him on 01273 482106/07701394506 traffic.safety@eastsussex.gov.uk to experience our civil servants utter contempt first hand. Even the police moaned they do nothing!!
On 30 Nov 2016 at 1:27pm Outsider wrote:
45 to 50 is fine in parts along that road (as seen by the fact that 99% of cars are doing that speed on the straight bits).
Also I don't get the point about it being "Pitch black", it's no worse than any other country lane (none of which have lighting). Can someone explain to me why it's darker than the other roads?
On 30 Nov 2016 at 1:48pm The other angle wrote:
Is everyone who is saying that 40mph is a sensible speed to drive that road at night happy to suggest anyone doing any more than this is a hooligan who needs shooting? Can't be both ways!
If you are driving at 40mph and a car overtakes you doing 70mph (not sure how this is guessed at, speeds in dark conditions are hard to judge, but) then the car is going away at 30mph - this should be enough time for anyone with correct vision to read a number plate.
Perhaps the mad psychopath driver was flashing to suggest the driver's headlights are a bit pants, and that is why they couldn't see where they were going, forcing them to do 40mph. Or they had their fog light on. Or another reason.
I assume everyone is happy to be held up by slow drivers (including cyclists, tractors, learners, milk floats etc) who are doing 10mph through town (ie 20mph under the speed limit - and only 10mph under in some places).
Has everyone read what flashing means in the Highway Code?
On 30 Nov 2016 at 2:26pm The wrong angle wrote:
Idiotic posts from other angle and outsider. Read the thread properly
On 30 Nov 2016 at 2:33pm Pedro wrote:
The roads in and around Lewes are usually so congested, that following a milk-float is among the least of your slow-moving concerns.

Anyways, its little surprise that some people on this forum want to shift the blame on to the victims in this and praise bad ideas, mentality and driving. The adoration of belligerence is after all the new world order and revolution!
On 30 Nov 2016 at 2:36pm Fed up with bad drivers wrote:
Hubby was nearly wiped out the other day approaching Lewes from Ringmer - some boy racer In a silver Merc decided to overtake a vehicle and swerved into the wrong side of the road Into incoming traffic. Hubby was too shaken to take details. I've no problem with these drivers killing themselves in their vehicles (makes it safer for the rest of us) but putting other more considerate people at risk is beyond the pale. These tw@ts should catch the bus.
On 30 Nov 2016 at 9:34pm David Pattenden wrote:
I am the Managing Director of Westgate Joinery. We were alerted to the posts at the start of the string on page 1 of Road Rage posted by 'Intimidated' through an email sent to my company by him/her through our website and felt I must respond to the two posts and in particular the statement in the 2nd post by 'Intimidated' which refers to my company's premises and implies that the driver may have been known to us...
'Intimidated' states ....'I should have explained that when this car overtook me, all it did was speed to the bottom of Laughton Rd and then turn in to the premises of Westgate Joinery at the bottom of Laughton Rd. I drove past to see the driver park and get out of his car and go in to the building walking at a perfectly relaxed pace.'
As I was personally working late last evening in our offices I found this statement surprising as we have a sensor with a buzzer on the ground floor entrance door to the offices (the only door that would have been unlocked at that time of evening) and had anyone entered our building I would have heard them.
Our premises are protected by CCTV and having checked the camera film for the camera covering our gate entrance for the period 30mins either side of 6pm last evening (Tuesday) the only car that entered our gates in this period was just before 6pm and was indeed a sports type car but contrary to 'Intimidated's statement the car did not park and nobody got out of the car; it simply turned around and drove back out of our gates in the direction of Laughton. If intimidated wishes to contact me we would be pleased to show him/her the CCTV camera film confirming these facts; unfortunately the images are not clear enough to pick up a registration plate.
I am sympathetic to anyone who is intimidated by bad or reckless driving and certainly do not condone this but would rather that 'Intimidated' stuck to the facts when posting on such forums and did not expand on the situation with statements which are incorrect.
On 30 Nov 2016 at 9:42pm Intimidated wrote:
Please refer to the original thread for my reply to Mr Pattenden.
On 30 Nov 2016 at 10:11pm Intimidated wrote:
Dear Mr Pattenden,
You are talking about working late yesterday evening and checking your CCTV footage from yesterday (Tuesday) evening.
**I posted my post on Tuesday about an incident that occurred on Monday.**
Please note the date of my post and read my opening sentence.
The road rage incident happened on Monday, not Tuesday.
On 30 Nov 2016 at 11:00pm Nibbles wrote:
Let's hope David can check the footage on Monday. Then finally this man can be caught, tried and sent to the phantom zone for eternity.
On 30 Nov 2016 at 11:07pm We've had our fun wrote:
So the sports car is there both nights?? You stand your ground intimidated. Perhaps Mr Pattenden can now check correct date. Hope he doesn't get burgled if his cctv is so bad it can't read a reg plate. My money is on the convertible Audi I have seen doing multiple over takes on this bit of road. Good for you intimidated. You deserve a better name

On 1 Dec 2016 at 8:35am ;;;;; wrote:
;;;;;;
On 1 Dec 2016 at 8:43am Old motorist wrote:
Sorry about the previous :::::: I was checking that I could post successfully because I've had a computer fault for a while . Anyway, it seems like there is a Boy Racer on the loose and although the CCTV was from Tues. not Mon. I would suggest the "offender" is simply using Westgate's premises as a turnaround. Now that his antics are public knowledge I'm sure he won't be turning there again. But I'll bet he doesn't stop tearing about.
On 1 Dec 2016 at 10:11am Hot lips wrote:
Pretty good chance the low life also has no mot, no tax, no insurance, and dodgy gear in the car. Traffic cops where are you? Response from council??
On 1 Dec 2016 at 10:13am We've had our fun wrote:
So oldmotorist works for West gate? Or is the offending driver who works for Westgate???
On 1 Dec 2016 at 11:33am Towney wrote:
Give it a rest Hot Lips. Do you honestly expect a traffic car to cover every bloody mile of Sussex. What if they were attending another job...a serious car crash maybe with one of your relatives in or maybe they were on a wild goose chase looking for some alleged sports car when one of your family are bleeding to death in a RTA. You're getting on my tits now.
On 1 Dec 2016 at 11:44am Hot lips wrote:
Towney, the chance of me getting on your tits is zero. Don't be so dramatic. They do actually do stuff other than attending crashes you numpty.
On 1 Dec 2016 at 11:56am Gold Star wrote:
If the original poster is that nervous and lacking in confidence with driving at night, can I suggest taking an advanced driving course?
On 1 Dec 2016 at 12:11pm H wrote:
She's not...read the original post. She was nervous after some brainless neanderthal male thought he owned the road. No gold star for you, just a black mark...must do better.
On 1 Dec 2016 at 12:17pm David Pattenden wrote:
Good afternoon 'Intimidated'
Sorry for the confusion over which day this event occurred. We have now checked our CCTV for Monday night (28th Nov); we have checked back to 5.30pm and no cars at all entered our gates after that time on that day. The last person to leave our premises was seen to leave at 17.56 and the cameras show him locking the gates at 17.56 after which time no cars could enter. Sorry therefore that we cannot shed any light on who's car this was.
There are two other gates for other business premises pretty close to ours in this area of the Laughton Road (one before our business and one after) I am now wondering if maybe the car that you saw actually went into one of these rather than our premises. Not sure if either of these other businesses have CCTV but maybe worth you calling to enquire as this may help you to trace the sports car who intimidated you with their driving?
On 1 Dec 2016 at 3:28pm @H wrote:
I Quote:
"I was driving along the Laughton Road (B2124) yesterday at 6pm. It was pitch black. No road lights. It is a road with lots of bends which are hard to see in the dark. So I was driving at 40 m.p.h which I felt was a safe speed for me to be driving at under those conditions."
So the conclusion is over 40mph is an "unsafe" speed to be driving "under those conditions" (dark on a road with corners).
Hardly exceptional conditions, that road is no worse than any country lane (and considerably better than some), it's certainly no more "pitch black" than any other country lane in the area.
I just don't get the dramatics, going over 40 is perfectly safe on that road...

On 1 Dec 2016 at 4:16pm H wrote:
You seem more interested in why she was driving at 40mph rather than the threatening aggressive behaviour of a motorist. Are you saying his actions were acceptable? 40mph is not slow.
On 1 Dec 2016 at 5:15pm @H wrote:
No I am not saying his actions are acceptable, where do I say or hint at that?
I was actually a little taken aback by your aggression "She was nervous after some brainless neanderthal male thought he owned the road."
We know nothing about it other than he drove behind her and flashed his lights (he may be totally innocent and flashed his lights by accident), lot's of people have no concept of tailgating (including many women). He might just be a bad driver (and this was clearly bad driving not "Road Rage").
"40mph is not slow. ", on parts of that road it actually is quite slow it's more than safe to be doing 45 to 50 mph (without being a boy racer).
Quite frustrating to get stuck behind someone doing 40 MAX (probably 30 on the corners), on account of the fact that it's a "dark road with corners".
Hardly out of the ordinary conditions, there is no reason to be driving so damn slow...

On 1 Dec 2016 at 5:38pm H wrote:
Bad driver? Flashed by accident? Totally innocent? What planet are you on? Jeez

On 1 Dec 2016 at 6:23pm Have you read the post? wrote:
"It then put it's full beam lights on (which hurt my eyes in the rear view mirror), started flashing the full beam light at me repeatedly, and then drove right up to my rear bumper bibbing the horn non stop. I had my 2 and 5 year old children in the car with me and my 2 year old started crying and my 5 year old became worried and asked me why the car behind us was bibbing us so loudly."
Accident?? In what way is this not road rage???
On 1 Dec 2016 at 6:28pm Have you read the post? wrote:
And @H's "lot's of people have no concept of tailgating (including many women)" is a bit jaw-dropping in its implications, given that insurance companies all concur that women are on average better drivers than men. (Incidentally, we don't know whether @Intimidated is m or f).
I wonder if this is our friend 'John' back again??
On 1 Dec 2016 at 6:50pm We'vehadourfun wrote:
Yep sounds like the moronic John back again. The people with this attitude are the tailgating intimidating drivers. I'm going to drive at 40 everyday on that road. By the way it is a 40 limit by West gate joinery anyway
On 1 Dec 2016 at 7:04pm @h wrote:
Yes I have read the post, Tuesday night I was driving along the B2116 at the back of a queue of five cars. The car at the front was doing around 40.
He randomly stopped in the middle of the road just before Plumpton college, the queue of cars behind him came around.
When we were all past him he pulled out behind me with his lights on full beam and proceeded to follow about 20 foot behind me (way too close).
Every time a car came towards us he dipped his lights and then went back to full beam.
We continued to do 40 (as the car that took the lead was happy to do 40).
Now if I had not of been in the queue for a while all I would of seen was the car drive up behind me and sit on my arse, with his lights flashing on and off high beam. And if I hadn't of overtaken I wouldn't of known it was some random old bloke with dodgy eyesight (rather than a boy racer).
We don't know the full facts, some of your opinions are frankly shocking considering you only know one side of the story.
Yes 40 is too bloody slow for the average driver, but equally the average driver would sit behind another at close distance with lights on high beam.
All I am saying is you don't know the full facts (he might of had a heavy load in the boot and not been flashing his lights at all), you might not like my opinion but the speed limit is 60 because it's safe to do speeds of up to 60 on most roads (it's been 60 for many decades with no issues), accept that some drivers can safely drive at those speeds and move on.
On 1 Dec 2016 at 7:31pm We'vehadourfun had wrote:
If you drive like you write we are all in for a sh#t ride
On 1 Dec 2016 at 7:41pm Intimidated wrote:
Dear Mr Pattenden,
Thank you for your further investigation and reply today. It is confusing that nothing has been picked up by your CCTV though.
To Gold Star - I am not nervous or lacking in confidence with driving at night. I have not said this.
To @H - I am absolutely not saying that anyone driving over 40 mph is unsafe on a 60 mph limit road. You have misinterpreted my post. What I am saying is that I chose to drive at 40 mph because I judged that to be a safe speed for me personally to be driving at. That doesn't make me unconfident. My point, if it needs spelling out further, is that I was driving at a perfectly reasonable speed which should not have been causing the driver behind me to react in the way he did. As for saying ''this was clearly bad driving not road rage'', after switching to full beam, flashing repeatedly and bibbing repeatedly, he then ended up driving so close to my rear bumper that I could no longer see his front lights in my rear view mirror. Do you really class this as 'bad driving'? And do you really class 40 mph as ''damn slow''? I wasn't doing 30 mph on corners BTW, I kept to a steady 40.
I will be making some enquiries tomorrow and will then update my post.

On 1 Dec 2016 at 9:43pm Hot lips wrote:
Hi Intimidated. Most of us are supporting you. Just a few fruitcakes on here that are best ignored. Please do keep us updated. Sounds like you had a scary experience.

On 1 Dec 2016 at 10:35pm Intimidated wrote:
Thanks hotlips.
And thanks to all the others who have been brilliant in their responses.
I know most of you are supporting me! Thank you.
On 1 Dec 2016 at 11:17pm @h wrote:
Intimidated my post is not in response to your posts, you have been civil and reasons. It was @h and then @ have you read the post. As I said there are many reasons he could been driving like that, I expect most of us witness several incidents a week I see it for many reasons, too fast, too slow, not paying attention, shouldn't be driving. I doubt it was road rage, just sounds like crap driving, given that I think people need to calm down, what if the driver had been identified, what if he had been an employee, what if he had been sacked as a result?
Bit extreme maybe, but you never know. And you might not have said over 40 is dangerous but others did which is why I was vocal that it isn't.
On 2 Dec 2016 at 8:01am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
If over 40mph is unsafe on the Laughton road, then the limit on the C7 should be 30!
Modern cars handle much better and have brakes that are far more effective than those on older cars. This means that they are safe at higher speeds than say, a Morris 1000 or Mark 1 mini. They also have much better headlights. I really don't see why people need to drive more slowly at night.
As long as the driver is able to stop the car safely within the distance they can see clearly, 40 mph is, imho, unnecessarily slow for most of the length of that road.
None of which excuses the appalling behaviour of the driver following, however. He/she was behaving like a dick.

On 2 Dec 2016 at 11:14am Pedro wrote:
@Annette - I'm slightly disappointed with your response, as usually I feel your views on most subjects are quite rational and well thought through. Your last sentence is fairly sound though.

Yes, modern cars (although not all cars are equal, or even modern) are more capable, safer and have superior headlamps etc....but while cars have evolved quickly, human beings take millions of years to change! I've already expressed the variety of different challenges drivers face at night time in the first Road Rage thread, and I think 40mph is perfectly reasonable a speed through that section at night time. Given that night temperatures are currently considerably lower than during the daytime, meaning brake and tyre temperatures are also operating lower and have less effect (along with higher risk of ice patches), as well the headlights providing a more limited scope/view of the surroundings - particularly at either sides of the road where nocturnal animals often scuttle out without prior warning. I think 40mph is sufficient in the conditions "Intimidated" described, and I drive a 2-seater sports car, so not entirely against all principles of speed (and yes, I have an alibi for Monday!!)

We have to accept that speed has consequences (yes, too slow can also cause issues). The faster one goes, the less time one has to react to the unexpected. Always leave vast gaps between cars where possible and maintain those gaps (irrespective of how annoyingly "slow" 40mph may be in your mind), and always feel in control and be ready for the "unexpected".

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Lewes Station 83:132
Lewes Station

England's third test match against India starts today 9am till 5pm. Wed, Thurs, Friday, Saturday and Sunday this week... With a... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams