Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Road Rage

On 29 Nov 2016 at 7:15pm Intimidated wrote:
I was driving along the Laughton Road (B2124) yesterday at 6pm. It was pitch black. No road lights. It is a road with lots of bends which are hard to see in the dark. So I was driving at 40 m.p.h which I felt was a safe speed for me to be driving at under those conditions. From out of no-where a car appeared close behind me. It was too dark to be able to see the car, all I could see were its headlights. It then put it's full beam lights on (which hurt my eyes in the rear view mirror), started flashing the full beam light at me repeatedly, and then drove right up to my rear bumper bibbing the horn non stop. I had my 2 and 5 year old children in the car with me and my 2 year old started crying and my 5 year old became worried and asked me why the car behind us was bibbing us so loudly. I wanted to pull over to let the car get past but there was other traffic behind this car and because the road is so dark I didn't feel safe to do so. Eventually once we got on to a straight stretch or road it overtook me (it was a 2 seater sports car) and accelerated up to about 70 m.p.h. and sped off.
Why do people behave in this way on the roads? It is mind boggling.
On 29 Nov 2016 at 7:28pm Intimidated wrote:
BTW I should have explained that when this car overtook me, all it did was speed to the bottom of Laughton Rd and then turn in to the premises of Westgate Joinery at the bottom of Laughton Rd. I drove past to see the driver park and get out of his car and go in to the building walking at a perfectly relaxed pace.
So my point is that it was not as if he was in an emergency situation or trying to get to hospital or anything.
On 29 Nov 2016 at 7:34pm We've had our fun wrote:
This happens to girlfriend regularly on this road and she finds it very threatening. All you can do is get reg and report them on operation crackdown. You can email Mike Higgs at ESCC but he is lazy rude and not at all interested in road safety despite his job description. Always worth reminding him who he actually works for. It's basically anarchy and thuggery by a handful of idiots round here. Police and council don't want get involved at all which must be hard for people who have lost relatives to this way of driving.
On 29 Nov 2016 at 7:54pm Rosalyn St Pierre wrote:
Intimidated, I am really concerned at your report. I will follow up immediately if anyone at ESCC is not takin this seriously, but I suspect that as We've had our fun states this is one for operation crackdown. If this happens regularly can people contact me via my ESCC email?
On 29 Nov 2016 at 8:05pm We've had our fun wrote:
Firstly to intimidated, go and get the reg and report to.operation crackdown. If he's done it to others they will know or can look into it. Rosaliyn I will be in touch about Mr Higgs and several other members of ESCC Road safety team who think it's great to ignore and insult people who raise concerns about driving in this area. Even a police officer told me they sit in there hands until someone dies.
On 29 Nov 2016 at 9:41pm John wrote:
He was an idiot but 40 is very slow on that road unless the weather is bad. You need more confidence at driving at night- as long as your eyes and lights are good it's actually easier and safer than in the daylight (you can see if vehicles are approaching from the front for example).
If you do choose to drive at 20 miles per hour below the speed limit you should be sensitive to the fact that people will want to overtake (even if some are idiots) and pull over/indicate at an appropriate spot.
On 29 Nov 2016 at 9:51pm Limitless wrote:
Limits are limits not recommended speeds.
On 29 Nov 2016 at 9:55pm Intimidated wrote:
Thank you for your responses.
Unfortunately because it was pitch black there was no way I could see the registration plate. (Anyhow he accelerated off so fast after eventually overtaking me that it would have been too quick for me to see the Reg even if it had have been light!)
It did cross my mind to pull in to the car park at Westgate joinery to confront him about the danger he had put me and my children in, but then I thought I don't know what type of character I would be dealing with and also by then I just wanted to get my children home.
I'm not easily shaken up but this did really frighten me.
What is operation crackdown? I haven't heard of this.
Is it worth emailing ESCC road safety team if I have no registration number? And are they really that uninterested?!
Also - to Rosalyn St Pierre, apologies, but please could you explain who you are/what your job is? What is your ESCC email address please?
I'm worried because I have to drive along that road every week. Being such a dangerous road in the dark I really thought every driver using it would take their upmost care in driving safely and with respect to other drivers.
Many thanks.
On 29 Nov 2016 at 10:04pm FromLaughton wrote:
@John
40 mph is not slow at all. Intimidated has explained that it was pitch black (there are no road lights on that road) and that it is a winding, bendy road. This means that she/he judged it to be difficult driving conditions and adjusted her/his speed accordingly, which was the right thing to do, especially with 2 infants in the car. She/he has also stated that there was not a safe place to pull over to allow the car to overtake.
This car driver sounds like an absolute maniac and it is people like this that cause death on the roads. If he was frustrated at the speed of the car in front of him, he needed to just wait until safe to overtake, not start trying to intimidate by aggressively putting on full beam lights, flashing the car in front and ramming itself up to the rear bumper! John, you cannot possibly defend this sort of behaviour on the roads. 40 m.p.h is a perfectly acceptable speed to be driving!!!
On 29 Nov 2016 at 10:09pm Elaine page wrote:
John how unhelpful of you to give someone who has had a bad experience the advice to get confidence. Regardless of the person in fronts speed beeping flashing etc is not acceptable, If that person is a particularly cautious driver then they are the one in charge of a machine capable of kiling so maybe leave it to the individual to drive. I know who id rather be in a car with.
On 29 Nov 2016 at 10:11pm Limitless wrote:
Will check out the joiners. Won't be hard to spot him. John read and learn.
On 29 Nov 2016 at 10:15pm Greg wrote:
Just out of interest john how many times have you pulled over when the person behind is flashing you and driving aggressively because they think you are not going fast enough. Hardly great advice to give a woman and small children on a stretch of road thats poorly lit etc.
On 29 Nov 2016 at 10:17pm Limitless wrote:
Intimidated, just Google Rosalyn and operation crackdown or phone 101 and discuss with an officer. They are actually interested but won't do anything
On 29 Nov 2016 at 10:23pm Jinx wrote:
Well said Greg , wonder if John would give his wife or daughter the same advice to pull over in that situation ?
On 29 Nov 2016 at 10:35pm John wrote:
You are all the same person, right?
On 29 Nov 2016 at 10:39pm Local wrote:
Rear number plates are illuminated at night.
On 29 Nov 2016 at 10:40pm Local wrote:
And remember that if a car runs into the back of you, it is always their fault legally.
On 29 Nov 2016 at 10:50pm Horseman7 wrote:
But little consolation when they've just annihilated your 2 children in the process.
On 29 Nov 2016 at 10:55pm We've had our fun wrote:
John you have upset a lot of people. Don't compound your stupidity. Learn something. Local you try and read the plate and drive the car and write it down in this woman's situation
On 29 Nov 2016 at 10:59pm Local wrote:
Had to do precisely that on two separate occasions. Not easy, but certainly not impossible. And I'm a 60-something woman.
On 29 Nov 2016 at 11:00pm John wrote:
One person with a lot of names.
I'm not unsympathetic, she was obviously frightened by an idiot. But driving at night isn't the same as being in pitch black, and there are plenty of places to slow (further) down to let someone past. It was dry last night, and wasn't freezing, I don't understand the problem really.
On 29 Nov 2016 at 11:07pm We've had our fun wrote:
Was it you John? God you are thick.
On 29 Nov 2016 at 11:18pm Also scared wrote:
Some years ago I was driving at night in unlit lanes; I was a bit lost (pre satnav days) and it was pouring with rain; I was going at a reasonable speed (I'm a confident driver) but only a moderate one as I was looking for turnings and signs in the dark and rain. A car zoomed up behind me and the driver started beeping and flashing his lights; I was really scared, and didn't dare stop; eventually a pub came into sight and I drew up right next to the front door, locking my door and opening the window a crack. The driver leapt out and started abusing me for going slowly, and I could smell the alcohol on his breath; he seemed to be looking for a fight but eventually he backed off; I was too shaken to think of taking his number and phoning the police - I wish I had, as he needed breathalysing and taking off the road.
This isn't much help to @Intimidated - just a supportive note. It is a really frightening experience, and it's hard to think straight at the time about what's best to do, especially when Intimidated was trying to calm two scared children.
On 29 Nov 2016 at 11:22pm Dredd wrote:
You should go to the police and report the incident,it's really more serious than just bad driving.
On 30 Nov 2016 at 5:46am Jinx wrote:
John just to check you now think that your post offeded just one person and they have taken the time to write multiple posts, it speaks volumes that this is your first thought rather than see your opinion is in the minority .
On 30 Nov 2016 at 7:39am Towney wrote:
Firstly, the actions shown by this moron are way out of order and should not be condoned in any way.
However, what do you expect to be done about it? No reg number, no CCTV, no witnesses and yet people are still having sly digs at the police, saying they're not prepared to do anything.
I can understand you coming on here for a rant to get it out of your system but i don't know where this is going.
On 30 Nov 2016 at 7:44am Hot lips wrote:
John, you are an utter tw@t. Really people like you should have their licence removed along with their plums
On 30 Nov 2016 at 7:47am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
The sports car driver's behaviour was appalling, and this must have been a very frightening experience, but I'm not getting why everyone's having a go at John.

I know the Laughton Road well, it has some long straights, the bends aren't tight and none of them seem to have adverse camber. I would have been very frustrated if I'd been stuck behind someone doing a steady 40 in dry conditions. And I agree with John that in many ways driving in the dark is easier.
I'm shocked that the police don't seem to take this sort of thing seriously. Imo, it can be just as frightening as any other sort of threatening behaviour.

On 30 Nov 2016 at 8:14am Towney wrote:
ACT....please tell me what you think the Police can do ?
On 30 Nov 2016 at 8:30am Dredd wrote:
The police could start by inquiring at west gate joinery about owners of sports cars,obviously there is very little proof but they could put the wind up someone and maybe prevent an accident later on.
On 30 Nov 2016 at 8:52am Towney wrote:
Oh please Dredd. The OB are stretched enough without going round every shop which sells sports cars in the hope that someone will admit to road rage.
To be honest, all i need to do is fall out with someone....a neighbour, work colleague etc, get their reg no and report them for aggressive driving. Not hard to do.
On 30 Nov 2016 at 8:57am Lewis Rosberg wrote:
What planet do you live on?
The police don't investigate burglaries let alone hurt feelings!!
And if you can't drive at more than 40 along there you shouldn't be driving at all
On 30 Nov 2016 at 9:12am Driver wrote:
John does have a point about drivers doing 40mph on a 60 road. But what I have found disturbing on occasions, quite often on this road, is that when I attempt to overtake the slow driver they accelerate. That type of driver has an attitude problem as bad as the one in the original post; and should also be reported.
On 30 Nov 2016 at 9:22am Pedro wrote:
Seems that some people have no patience or manners whilst behind the wheel (or keyboard!). If you approach a slow driver, just take a few deep breaths and accept that you will either have to wait to find a safe moment to pass, or just stick cruise control on, relax, and back off - go the speed of the ambient traffic and keep a sensible, non-aggressive and safe distance. You will get to your destination in one piece, perhaps a touch later, but calmer and less frustrated.

People who are quick to anger, should put things in perspective more. That is far bigger waste of time (and mental resources!), than getting riled up by slow drivers!
On 30 Nov 2016 at 9:22am Dredd wrote:
The angry driver is a time bomb in charge of a lethal weapon.We all have on occasion been stuck behind a slow driver ,yes it is annoying but it is not going to kill you,over reaction in a missile like a car can kill on the other hand.This individual is a potential murderer.
On 30 Nov 2016 at 9:38am Robbie wrote:
At 44 I'm halfway between the "boy racer" and "slow safe older driver" stage.
Whilst I would of waited at a safe distance behind a driver doing 40 along that road (tailgating just makes the driver in front slower), I would have been cursing under my breath the whole time.
A few bits of advice I can give you
1. Always get the number plate (pointless even complaining without it)
2. Never pull in
3. Slow down when safe and let him pass
4. Never follow them to their destination
Never try to be funny either (slowing to a crawl or slamming brakes on), the driver is a dick he is not flashing you personally, he is flashing the "slow car", the second you play games his attention goes from "trying to get someone quickly" to "you".
Would you drive quicker along there during the day?
There is no good reason your speed or style should change at night, if it does maybe you should try to limit your night driving as much as possible.
Do your headlights suck (do you have normal bulbs or brighter ones)?
Is your windscreen clean, I mean the edges where the blades don't reach (it can make a big difference)?

On 30 Nov 2016 at 10:47am Pedro wrote:
@robbie - I largely agree with most of what you have written.

I think there are perhaps a few circumstances when driving at night should mean some modifications and adjustments to driving style and awareness. If there is little street lighting, and you're relying on road markings (not always consistent in quality) and your own headlights, and you are not familiar with the area, then visibility is more challenging and so you should reduce speed. Yea, not to a crawl, but within reason, and 40 in a 60 limit is not a crawl, and its still making progress. Also, given that its at night, its more likely to be colder (especially around this time of year!) so roads will be more likely to be icier, and tyres will be colder and have less grip, brakes worse etc etc. Also, wild nocturnal animals can suddenly pop out of nowhere.

As I said before, if people focused on tolerance, and being less in a rush and less irritated and frustrated, outcomes in so many aspects of life would improve!
On 30 Nov 2016 at 11:32am FromLaughton wrote:
I find it really baffling that several people on here have referred to 40 mph as 'slow' driving and have admitted they too would have felt frustrated behind this driver.
40 mph is not slow.
A 60 mph road means that you cannot exceed 60. It does NOT mean that you have to drive at 60 mph! If you think that you have to drive at the speed limit of the road then you very quickly need to re-take your theory test.
Any driving instructor will tell you that you have to drive safely, not put yourself or others at risk and that you have to judge what speed you feel safe to drive at.
If drivers are tired and are not able to pull over and stop for a break, they are advised to slow down their seed.
If drivers are driving in hazardous weather conditions and cannot stop their journey they are advised to slow down.
If this driver wants to drive along the Laughton Road at 40 mph because she deems that to be a safe speed then she jolly well can do!
Robbie - I cannot believe you are questioning her on whether she would drive faster during the day. What is the relevance of your question? 40 mph is not an unsafe speed to be driving at, so what is the relevance of you and several other people on here questioning her speed?!
I live in Laughton and always drive carefully along that road.
It is wrong to say that driving fast in the black of night is as safe as driving fast in the day. It is not only cars that you find on roads, it is pedestrians crossing roads that are found there as well (i.e. us villagers who live in Laughton and need to cross that road!).
Driving faster means you have less time to respond to something if you need to slam your breaks on for any reason. Driving at a sensible speed (i.e. 40 mph) means that you have more time to respond and are less likely to crash if you need to do an emergency stop.
To the people who have questioned this woman's driving speed; Are you aware that in April this year a young man was killed when he hit a tree at the side of that road whilst driving in the dark along the Laughton Rd? He was from Heathfield who knew the road well. A woman crashed her car in to a ditch on the side of the Laughton Rd in December, overturning the car and seriously injuring the driver. And a couple of Summers ago there was a serious car crash (not involving any other car) on this road, again, in the dark, which left 3 casualties.
This driver was driving carefully and should NOT be being questioned by a minority on here for doing so.
On 30 Nov 2016 at 11:38am FromLaughton wrote:
@Pedro
Can I just point out that there is NO lighting at all on the Laughton road. It is literally pitch black, there are no street lights at all, you cannot see anything other than the distance of road ahead of you that your car lights light up.
When this driver says in her post that it was pitch black, I can verify that she does mean it literally.
Robbie - you might like to drive along the Laughton road when it is dark tonight, then go home and re-think your advice specifically to that road, since this is what the issue is here.
On 30 Nov 2016 at 8:21pm David Pattenden wrote:
I am the Managing Director of Westgate Joinery. We were alerted to the posts at the start of this string posted by 'Intimidated' through an email sent to my company by him/her through our website and felt I must respond to the two posts and in particular the statement in the 2nd post by 'Intimidated' which refers to my company's premises and implies that the driver may have been known to us...
'Intimidated' states ....'I should have explained that when this car overtook me, all it did was speed to the bottom of Laughton Rd and then turn in to the premises of Westgate Joinery at the bottom of Laughton Rd. I drove past to see the driver park and get out of his car and go in to the building walking at a perfectly relaxed pace.'
As I was personally working late last evening in our offices I found this statement surprising as we have a sensor with a buzzer on the ground floor entrance door to the offices (the only door that would have been unlocked at that time of evening) and had anyone entered our building I would have heard them.
Our premises are protected by CCTV and having checked the camera film for the camera covering our gate entrance for the period 30mins either side of 6pm last evening (Tuesday) the only car that entered our gates in this period was just before 6pm and was indeed a sports type car but contrary to 'Intimidated's statement the car did not park and nobody got out of the car; it simply turned around and drove back out of our gates in the direction of Laughton. If intimidated wishes to contact me we would be pleased to show him/her the CCTV camera film confirming these facts; unfortunately the images are not clear enough to pick up a registration plate.
I am sympathetic to anyone who is intimidated by bad or reckless driving and certainly do not condone this but would rather that 'Intimidated' stuck to the facts when posting on such forums and did not expand on the situation with statements which are incorrect.
On 30 Nov 2016 at 9:40pm Intimidated wrote:
Dear Mr Pattenden,
Thank you for your investigation and your reply.
It was not me who forwarded my post or this thread to you, but thank you to whoever did.
It is a great shame your CCTV has not been able to capture the registration number of the vehicle when it entered your premises.
I saw the car turn in to your premises after it overtook me. It was driving at great speed so it reached your premises sooner than I did (because I carried on driving at the controversial 40 mph speed). When I drove past your premises I slowed right down to look at the car and saw it had stopped in your car park and I 100% saw a man walking away from the car. I didn't actually stop though, so what I saw was a quick glimpse as I drove past. I have not expanded on the situation with statements which are incorrect. I posted what I saw.
I have to say that when I explained that the car drove in to Westgate joinery, I was not at all trying to cause trouble for your business. I only put it in after my initial post by way of making the point that the driver was not on his way to an emergency (which is the only thing that would have explained his behaviour).
On 30 Nov 2016 at 10:10pm Intimidated wrote:
Dear Mr Pattenden,
You are talking about working late yesterday evening and checking your CCTV footage from yesterday (Tuesday) evening.
**I posted my post on Tuesday about an incident that occurred on Monday.**
Please note the date of my post and read my opening sentence.
The road rage incident happened on Monday, not Tuesday.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Lewes to Uckfield Line 87:132
Lewes to Uckfield Line

I'm afraid the word jab always conjures up in my mind- in the eye with a sharp stick. To be avoided at all costs. I remember a... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams