Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Rip Off Sussex

On 25 Nov 2016 at 3:56pm Bob wrote:
I always try to shop local, whatever goods and services I am looking for. However, increasingly I am finding that things are cheaper elsewhere. Two recent examples:
Handmade wrought iron garden gate - cheapest local quote 275. I got one made to the same spec in Newcastle and delivered 115.
Wood burning stove - door repair - cheapest local quote 235. A firm in North Wales arranged for it to be collected, repaired and delivered inside 4 days - cost 127.
On 25 Nov 2016 at 4:04pm Bargain Bill wrote:
That's not a bad saving, is this because of Black Friday or are there low prices out there all the time.
On 25 Nov 2016 at 5:44pm Nigel wrote:
That's because rent, business rates and living costs in this area are so high. Your firm in north wales has low costs and probably benefits from an EU handout too.
On 25 Nov 2016 at 7:06pm Blindingly Obvious wrote:
Yes well done Nigel. Stupid Bob obviously couldn't work that out.
Wonder how much his house would be worth if it were in Newcastle or North Wales.
On 25 Nov 2016 at 7:16pm Philanthropist wrote:
What I do is I always get loads of quotes for a job that needs doing around the house and then go for the most expensive one. That way, I know I am keeping the economy afloat by throwing as much money as I can at self employed people who deal in cash so they don't have to put the job through the books so that they can avoid paying tax or N.I.
On 25 Nov 2016 at 7:35pm Bob wrote:
"Stupid Bob" here - Is a supermarket shop 45% cheaper in North Wales? Are cars 60% cheaper in Newcastle?
On 25 Nov 2016 at 7:39pm Fairmeadow wrote:
Cars can be 1,000 or more cheaper in the Midlands than they are in Sussex, for the reasons Nigel gives. Try carwow.
On 25 Nov 2016 at 7:44pm living up to your name wrote:
Possibly not those percentages Stupid Bob but certainly cheaper
I was in Ludlow recently and a pint in a nice pub, not a club, was 2.70.
On 25 Nov 2016 at 8:34pm I'm not paying vat mate !!! wrote:
Indeed philanthropist, and I bet you demand a discount for such cash payment
On 26 Nov 2016 at 8:08am I'm with Bob wrote:
Locally supplied UVPC door 900. Much better quality composite door from Leeds 850. If you can find tradesmen -c 300 per day cash only. You really do have to have a nice London job to afford Sussex these days.
On 26 Nov 2016 at 8:30am The Negotiator wrote:
@I'm with Bob
I was recently quoted for some replacement doors and windows. The first rule of glazing is never accept the first quote. So I told them they were quoting over other suppliers. They came back with a price 500 cheaper. 500! I pushed back again and got the deal 650 cheaper. Local Lewes firm - they will take what you will pay, so don't be prepared to pay what they first ask.
On 26 Nov 2016 at 8:44am Nigel wrote:
Supermarkets average their prices across all stores so you don't see the difference but, as said above, pubs don't so you see variation. You could probably have had your gate made in China by somebody earning a few pence per hour and get it shipped to your house for even less than the company in Wales.

On 27 Nov 2016 at 6:30pm Stan the peado wrote:
Stupid Bob needs to google 'market forces'
Live in Lewes then pay the price

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

south street badge 107:132
south street badge

Nearly half the care workers come from abroad, so I don't know what you mean by that comment. As far as going abroad is... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like tea and faerie cakes on the Castle Green
NCG