frame-src 'self' data:

Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Ringmer

On 17 Sep 2018 at 8:56pm Thinking about moving wrote:
We’ve noticed Ringmer is considerably cheaper than Lewes. Now obviously there’s a reason for this. We’ve looked on the net and it seems ok but friends that live in Lewes say it’s full of chavs, fifty odd year old ‘lads’, old people, and other undesirable types. Plus the two pubs are dross.
What do other people think of Ringmer?
On 17 Sep 2018 at 9:18pm Mr. Lot wrote:
My wife turned to stone when we visited Ringmer.
On 17 Sep 2018 at 10:06pm Horseman7 wrote:
I'm an old person. Does that automatically make me undesirable?
On 17 Sep 2018 at 10:15pm Unhappy shopper wrote:
The shops make me want to cut my eyes out in desperation.
On 17 Sep 2018 at 10:37pm Colonel Mustard wrote:
We moved to Ringmer last year, after 17 years in Lewes. We swapped a pokey terraced house for a four-bedroom detached house with a view of the Downs. It cost us almost exactly the same as the selling price for our Lewes house. Ringmer isn't Lewes, but it's okay and has all the basic amenities. Also, Lewes is only minutes away in the car (or 15 mins by bike, along the cycle path), so I still do all the things I used to do, but now have a house that I love. Whether you should move here or not depends on your personality and circumstances. If you have young children, it's probably best to be within walking distance of everything and there's a lot more going on in Lewes. Also, if you're very sociable and like drinking with friends at the pub, it's more of a hassle going out at night - the evening bus service is rubbish. But if you like a quiet life, clean air and a decent sized house, you could do worse than move here.
On 17 Sep 2018 at 10:53pm Hell is two miles north wrote:
Yes it does Horseman7
Rover driving , urine smelling, spam eating, polyester wearing , people are very undesirable. Stay in Ringmer where you can have a moan with those women that work in that dreadful bakery
On 18 Sep 2018 at 6:52am boozer wrote:
Nothing wrong with either pub.
On 18 Sep 2018 at 8:18am Local wrote:
You can't say the bus service is rubbish, it probably has the best one of all the villages in the district!
On 18 Sep 2018 at 8:25am Dixie Normus wrote:
Not to mention the gossip. My god the gossip of Ringmer, nothing happens there so they have nothing better to do than gossip about things that they should have no business in.
On 18 Sep 2018 at 8:43am @Dixie Normus.... wrote:
...what a terrible gossip you are ;-)
On 18 Sep 2018 at 9:51am Terri wrote:
Where you live has an enormous bearing on your lifestyle and your level of happiness.
Do your own research. Visit the area, walk around, go for a drink at the Anchor, try and get a feel for the place. You'll find that people you pass in the street will say hello and smile openly at you. You'll find that the pace of life is very relaxed. You'll find that the surrounding views of the downs and the high Weald are beautiful. You'll find the streets very quiet and peaceful in the evenings. You'll find the night sky illuminating due to having no street lights. You'll find the Anchor friendly. You'll see how happy and smiley the primary children are when they come out of school. You'll see how polite and respectful the secondary school children are who walk to Ringmer college in the morning. You will find the countryside provides relaxation and recreation for walking and cycling.
The shops are functional, they are not browsing shops. They are there to provide local amenities.
Ringmer is populated by families and people who enjoy living in the countryside more than they enjoy living in a town or city.
If none of the above appeals to you then look elsewhere. There are plenty of other places to choose from. Most importantly, don't view Ringmer as an extension of Lewes, as in "Lewes is too expensive so I'll move to Ringmer instead", because if Lewes is what you're really wanting then go and live in Lewes. Ringmer is very much its own village, set apart from Lewes. People who live in Ringmer do not see themselves or their village as being part of Lewes in any way whatsoever. It's completely different.
Comparing it cost wise to Lewes is unhelpful. It's cheaper, because every surrounding village in the district is cheaper than Lewes. Lewes has significantly risen in value+++ over recent years. The surrounding villages have risen too but nowhere near the same level that Lewes has.

On 18 Sep 2018 at 9:55am Cynic wrote:
Remember to lock your doors and windows when it gets dark.
They come out at night.........
On 18 Sep 2018 at 10:20am Rob wrote:
Lock your back door they like popping in the back door. From time to time
On 18 Sep 2018 at 10:26am I used to live there wrote:
Lots of surprisingly measured comments here and excellent advice from Terri. Unlike Lewes, many of the people who grew up in Ringmer choose to stay on - made possible with half decent house prices. The pubs are perfectly fine, the countryside excellent and the people lovely. It certainly hasn’t the architectural beauty of Lewes and commuting to London/Brighton can be a pain in the arse due to the traffic. As a family friendly place to live, you could do a lot worse.
On 18 Sep 2018 at 11:09am Jj wrote:
Village green is lovely the rest ,grey haired oaps
On 18 Sep 2018 at 11:56am Lovely views apart from wrote:
The poxy "entitled" wind generator @ Glyndebourne. Lewes Council - loved that but fought tooth and nail against the Amex. I rest my case.
On 18 Sep 2018 at 12:49pm Hell is two miles north wrote:
It’s such a dump even the village green Gypos couldn’t wait to leave
On 18 Sep 2018 at 2:04pm Pervy Pete wrote:
The Ringmer swinging circle is quite active. 2nd Saturday each month. Worth getting into.
On 18 Sep 2018 at 2:57pm Do it wrote:
Lovely place. I was thinking about selling up in Neville and moving to ringmer. Only downside which affected me is location to industry I work in. Am thinking about Polegate now. I would prefer ringmer to live in.
On 18 Sep 2018 at 3:52pm Pretty Please wrote:
Please keep up the derision of Ringmer, as it will dissuade those DFLs and OFLs (Over From Lewes) from moving here and ruining it.
On 18 Sep 2018 at 3:59pm Nosey parker wrote:
Driving through Ringmer last week I did a hand signal. Someone nicked my watch.
On 18 Sep 2018 at 4:07pm Sa wrote:
Can't stand the place,nothing going for it.old folks retreat,if you ask were they are moving or moved to it's there they can keep it.
On 18 Sep 2018 at 4:14pm Motorist wrote:
I made a hand signal at the sad old farts that stand at the roadside with their speed camera. From inside my car, with the windows up.
On 18 Sep 2018 at 4:14pm @Sa wrote:
Thank God people like you don’t want to live here!
On 18 Sep 2018 at 4:35pm Geoffrey Paddle wrote:
Only two types of people come out of Ringmer...
On 18 Sep 2018 at 5:17pm Male + Female ? wrote:
The quick and the dead ?
On 18 Sep 2018 at 6:56pm Hell is two miles north wrote:
The two types are those that live there because it’s cheap
And those that actually like it …

10 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Weeds for sale 130:132
Weeds for sale

Does anyone know the owner of a ginger cat on Hamsey Crescent that wears a blue/yellow or blue/grey collar? It is quite skinny... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine