Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Revised time table - disruption

On 13 Jul 2016 at 6:54am The happy commuter wrote:
Yet more disruption and cancellations on the new revised timetable. Reason given that trains are awaiting a member of the train crew. Whoever this member of train crew may be and no doubt it will cover a few, I would like to say Thanks for not getting out of bed this morning and thinking about yourself again. If you want industrial action then strike on the official days but stop this bloody cat and mouse game of sickness which only effects us the customers. No sympathy to your profession from me when this business is resolved just shows how unprofessional you lot are in the first place. And the Union doesn't go a miss on this one either.
On 13 Jul 2016 at 7:20am Bert wrote:
Couldn't agree more. I sympathised with the strike, even with the alleged sickness at first, but have now missed so many unique family events, been late for work so often, stood for hours on over crowded and then cancelled trains and spent so much I can't reclaim on buses and taxis on top of train fare that I'd now like to see the whole lot of them sacked from the top of the company to the bottom, and people who want to provide a service in return for the salaries we pay them employed instead. What makes them so special?
On 13 Jul 2016 at 7:49am Tim wrote:
In the year running up to this dispute, 14% of delays and cancellations were due to shortage of staff. Southern have now cut 14% of their services BUT are still short of staff. They admit this now (drivers, conductors and station staff). Claire Perry admits this now. The business is being run a shoestring. I like Sadiq Khan's call to let TfL run the franchise. Has anyone here travelled on the London Overground service?
On 13 Jul 2016 at 7:53am Gerty wrote:
14% short, yet profits nearly doubled at the same time to 28m, and fares increased.
On 13 Jul 2016 at 7:55am Tim wrote:
......and if you don't believe me, get down to Seaford tomorrow evening and ask the question. How many scheduled (I.e. contracted) services are reliant on a Driver or Guard working overtime or their rest day?
On 13 Jul 2016 at 8:09am worker wrote:
Tim - I probably won't be able to make the meeting in Seaford. Would be grateful if you could post on it afterwards.
On 13 Jul 2016 at 8:42am Southern belle wrote:
There is very little in the way of staff sickness! Southern are using this as an excuse for staff shortages and stopping the staff working overtime due to previous industrial action. They have also taken away staff travel and parking. It's all a big smoke screen.
On 13 Jul 2016 at 1:46pm Smokescreen wrote:
If you want a real smokescreen visit the Bluebell Railway. Oh, it's run by volunteers. Kind regards.
On 13 Jul 2016 at 2:01pm No sympathy wrote:
That move down from London isn't looking such a great idea after all now is it? One can only imagine what another year or so of this will do to house prices locally, possibly make them affordable for people who actually work in the area to afford to live here.
On 13 Jul 2016 at 2:29pm Smug Local wrote:
Totally agree with 'No Sympathy" - anyone moving down to Sussex coast/Lewes should run a few "what if" scenarios first, the main one being "What if the rail services I will rely on for my daily trip to work suffer long term disruption....?".
But no, let's not do that, let's just assume the rail network will aways be there, always meet our needs, and then blame everyone else whenever our trip to work is disrupted.
Whether it is the wrong type of snow, leaves on the line, flooding, low sunshine, improvement works, industrial disputes or whatever, it amazes me that Sussex commuters seem think they have some God-given right to be able to commute by public transport without disruption, and that they deserve sympathy whenever their routine is disrupted.
You chose/choose to live in town A and work in town/city B, you should have considered the risk of long-term travel disruption, whether due to human factors or adverse weather.
Stop moaning, if you lived closer to where you work you could walk/cycle or catch a bus whenever the trains don't run... but instead YOU chose/choose to live so far from the office (or to work so far from home), so live with the consequences of YOUR decision and stop blaming others, (regardless of whether you feel the blame lies those others are greedy Capitalist management or beligerent leftie workers..).

On 13 Jul 2016 at 3:54pm @Smug local wrote:
You're not smug, you're a knob.
It's one thing to point out to someone how they might not get sympathy as they created their own mess, it's another to suggest that they should have predicted that a 180 year old service could possible "not run" for a long period of time.
Basically a few individuals are affecting many 100's of thousands of individuals (by the way I live in Lewes and work in Albourne IT STILL AFFECTS ME), customer's who have paid for this service are quite right to moan, personally I think people should be sacked and prosecuted over this (both GTL staff and management and government).
On 13 Jul 2016 at 4:04pm Tractor Man wrote:
What ever the real reasons. if anyone does pull a sickie when they are not then shame on them.
On 13 Jul 2016 at 4:12pm ar10642 wrote:
Smug local, so you think everyone should work within walking distance? You must do because all the arguments you've just put forward apply to driving somewhere as well. I certainly hope you've planned for a strike by the fuel tanker drivers in 10 years time, otherwise you have no-one but yourself to blame.
There's not enough jobs locally for everyone to work in the same small town, and it's not unreasonable to expect the railway company to provide the advertised service. Maybe we can put a wall up around the town so you can all go full Royston Vasey.
On 13 Jul 2016 at 5:11pm Bert wrote:
Smug local is obviously a troll but I'll reply anyway. I am born and bred Lewes and so is my wife. She has a very worthwhile job helping those less fortunate in the town and surrounding area. As such she gets paid very little above minimum wage. To stay living in my home town these days that means I have to work out of it. I don't see why I should be penalised for that.
On 13 Jul 2016 at 5:54pm Smug 2 wrote:
I couldnt care less. I never use trains. Public transport is only for you lower classes and poor people. I don't want to travel anywhere next to you.
On 13 Jul 2016 at 6:35pm George wrote:
Smug local: what a load of b......., troll!

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

A Lewes Penny 1:143
A Lewes Penny

Examining the activity of the sun and assessing its influence on the earth's climate may well provide entertainment to some Tom... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina