Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Replacement Windows

On 17 Apr 2014 at 8:42am The Prior wrote:
Well our two - front and back - dormer(?) windows have almost rotted away and we'll need to replace them by the summer. Do I need council permission to do that?
Also, anyone recommend a good tradesman to supply and fit them - not too pricey!

On 17 Apr 2014 at 9:00am tobnac wrote:
Are you in the conservation area? if so, you'll need planning permission. If not, you won't.

On 17 Apr 2014 at 9:42am The Prior wrote:
Sure am....but if I replace like for like, do I still need planning permission?
On 17 Apr 2014 at 10:45am Southover Queen wrote:
Give the planning department at LDC a call. The answer should be that as long as it's like for like you don't need permission, but you do need to notify them that you intend carrying out the work and you might need to supply drawings (which a good joiner should be able to supply). If you're thinking about having double glazed panes (which is a good idea...!) then I have a nasty feeling you'll have to jump through the planning hoops.

On 17 Apr 2014 at 10:52am tobnac wrote:
If it's completely identical you don't need consent. The trouble is that what a layman considers identical is often just 'similar'. if you want to be reassured tat your work is truly like for like then you should do as SQ says and show some drawings to the planning department.
The good news is that if permission does turn out to be required, at least you won't have to pay a fee.

On 17 Apr 2014 at 12:32pm Computer Nick wrote:
I have just travelled the same road. I intend replacing my aged sashes with similar hardwood units and even though the Government website says that planning permission is not required for replacing windows I emailed LDC just to be sure.

The reply: "Thank you for the submission of the ‘Do I Need Planning Permission’ enquiry, received on 27 March 2014. Following an assessment of the details contained within the submitted form I can confirm that planning permission would be required for the proposed Replacement door and windows to front elevation."
On 17 Apr 2014 at 12:38pm The Prior wrote:
Blimey, looks like I have to then! Hope it doesn't take forever :-(
How do I find a good joiner who is reliable and doesn't cost the earth? The must be someone local I can use....

On 17 Apr 2014 at 3:29pm Long Time Lewes Resident wrote:
The Prior.
I can recommend Paul Furnell
Mob -07717862940
paulfurnell@btinternet.com
On 17 Apr 2014 at 3:32pm lewes born and bred wrote:
+1 for Paul. Top bloke and top quality work

On 17 Apr 2014 at 7:04pm Country Boy wrote:
Why would a good joiner be able to supply drawings?

On 19 Apr 2014 at 8:43am The Prior wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions....
So I need drawings....ok.

On 19 Apr 2014 at 11:15am Southover Queen wrote:
The joiners I've used have been happy to provide drawings, which they need to do for their own purposes anyway. Certainly if you're approaching a joinery firm I would expect them to supply drawings - it will be a very common request in Lewes, where most of the town centre is at least conservation if not actually listed.

On 19 Apr 2014 at 5:55pm Lewes person wrote:
If you are copying windows exactly using wood (which is the easiest way, and doesn't need drawings) it is 'like for like' repair, and doesn't need planning permission, even in a Listed building.

On 19 Apr 2014 at 6:07pm Southover Queen wrote:
That's true, Lewes person. However I think I'd let LDC planning department know that I was going to go ahead and do this, in case they get enquiries from neighbours or passers by when the work begins. Then you've got an email/letter saying that you don't need permission if you're making an exact copy. That said, I think I'd take the opportunity of putting in double glazed panes rather than the single glazing that Prior probably has currently which might change the answer. It does make a big difference in terms of heat loss and won't cost much more to do if you're doing the work already.

On 20 Apr 2014 at 8:08am The Prior wrote:
Yes, I think the windows will be double glazed that makes sense. I found, among old papers, a letter from the council dated 1959 granting permission for the windows to be enlarged back then.
They are not very nice, so will take the opportunity of getting some which are more sympathetic to the rest of the neighbourhood.
So I guess I'll also need lots of scaffolding too!

On 20 Apr 2014 at 9:17am Teacher wrote:
Keep away from Lifestyle, their guarantees are not worth the paper they are printed on and their work is suspect. I and a few others are talking from experience.

On 20 Apr 2014 at 11:14am Lewes person wrote:
SQ, Your advice is good. Unfortunately LDC planning department is notoriously unreliable, so check with an impartial source any LDC response which is unhelpful bizarre, illogical, inaccurate or inconsistent with the free-range given to bigger developers.
However, sounds like you will do a good job .

20 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Town Clock 88:132
Lewes Town Clock

This is a sad and infuriating subject, as so much misinformation is pushed, and the far-right lap it up as their truth. I was... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell