Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Removing children from school without permission

4
 
On 19 May 2013 at 5:33pm jrsussex wrote:
Two children, whose mother cannot choose her holiday dates due to the employment she has, were taken on a five day holiday. The younger child's attendance record for the last three years is 96.6%, 97.8% and 96.6%. The elder 97.79%, 98.66% and 100%. During that period each of the children had one unauthorised day off. They are from a stable home, their parents have been married for some years and the children are well behaved at school and are always well presented, in short from a stable background and well brought up.
The result is that they are to be fined £360.00 for taking the children out of school for five days. Your opinions please.
1
1
On 19 May 2013 at 6:00pm mrs b wrote:
not sure what i think, but i would sure be miffed if i sent my children to school only to find out that the teacher had taken a five day holiday!! and why all the 'they are from a stable family bit'!!
1
1
On 19 May 2013 at 6:03pm Outintheestates wrote:
And how is this important . It your a 2.2 children family or single parent the same rules apply that's why they are there doh ....
4
2
On 19 May 2013 at 6:15pm landporter wrote:
JRSussex...that is disgusting and i'd fight it to the end. Took my daughter out of school for 2 weeks and didn't get a thing.
What school was it with as it's often down to the descretion of the school
2
1
On 19 May 2013 at 7:22pm jrsussex wrote:
Landporter - you have hit the nail on the head, whilst there is legislation the final decision in all cases lies with the headmaster/mistress, in short it is a discretionary power that they have. I would suggest, given the facts of the matter, that in this case discretion should be exercised.
Mrs B - That they force children to take days out when teacher training or if and when the schools are used as polling stations for example cannot be used as an argument, so sayeth the school. There is no suggestion that any family, married, partnership or single are not stable, I simply mention what are the facts with this particular family, do not make silly assumptions.
Outintheestates - Not sure what you are saying, please clarify your point. Should the "IT" bean "IF"
6
2
On 19 May 2013 at 8:21pm Dave wrote:
I would fight that to the bitter end.
This fining system is a purely politically motivated device to protect the offsted stats of the school.
3
2
On 19 May 2013 at 9:46pm Roly Mo wrote:
I agree, fight it. It annoys me that parents are penalised for this when it should be the holiday companies who are charging exorbitant rates. We've recently been quoted £850 for 4 nights in a caravan on the Isle of Wight, during August. If we took our daughter out of school in term time, we're looking at half that! We've decided not to go away now as I really can't afford to.
2
1
On 19 May 2013 at 10:10pm expat wrote:
What is the UK coming to? My children have always been able to be taken out of school within reason, for a family holiday, as it is considered educational to be somewhere different, with new experiences.
2
2
On 20 May 2013 at 1:01am The old mayor wrote:
Parents - Cash Cows !! Sue the school next time it snows !!
2
1
On 20 May 2013 at 8:14am Deelite wrote:
Take it up with Offstead and the government jrs. The school are just doing what they are supposed to. Most schools and staff are so badly overstretched nowadays that it would be almost criminal to add to their burden by taking issue with the school.
3
1
On 20 May 2013 at 8:20am Deelite wrote:
..and start a campaign to ensure that holiday companies do not unnecessarily increase their fares during school holidays. That would be good use of your time. Us working family people have very little spare time and depend upon the retired and people of leisure like you to campaign to put things right.
2
 
On 20 May 2013 at 9:46am sjep76 wrote:
I don't agree with taking children out of school during term time, the children have 14 weeks holiday a year so why do they need extra weeks? I also don't agree with holiday companies charging extortionate amounts for holidays during school holiday times.
Why can the parent not choose their own holiday times? I would hate to be told when I can take my annual leave!
1
1
On 20 May 2013 at 9:48am Numberjack wrote:
JRS -
What silly assumptions has Mrs. B. made?
You asked for opinion, she has given hers and you don't seem to like it?!?!
2
 
On 20 May 2013 at 10:16am Parent1970 wrote:
We are taking our children out of school for 2 days after the May half term.
The infant/junior school declined to authorise our request, the senior school said it was fine.
No fines as yet.
Last, year the infant/junior school sent out a stern warning about taking children out of school and then two weeks later allowed one of its teaching assistants and her child a week off to go skiing. Just fancy that!
2
 
On 20 May 2013 at 10:33am Woody wrote:
No fine for taking your child out of school is going to be enforceable surely? And it's nothing to do with with Ofsted either.
The Head needs to show some discretion here and make a judgement based on the individual case.
1
 
On 20 May 2013 at 11:31am jennyb wrote:
Perhaps the employer should pay the fine. Teachers have enough to do without helping kids catch up, going over old ground with kids who 'weren't here'.
4
2
On 20 May 2013 at 11:34am lewes lad wrote:
Kids get plenty of time off school already. its not right to take time out of school to go on a family holiday. If you don't like the system then teach your kids from home, then you can bugger off abroad whenever you want. If you let one family do it then how is the school supposed to provide a decent education when every family starts to chooses a different time to go on holiday.
2
2
On 20 May 2013 at 11:40am southover queen wrote:
Keep your brats locked up at school when they are supposed to be at school. Its not rocket science
3
 
On 20 May 2013 at 12:24pm Deelite wrote:
It is to do with Offstead. A schools attendance record counts towards the rating Offstead awards it. This is one of the main reasons schools are reluctant to allow kids to take holiday during term time.
8
5
On 20 May 2013 at 12:42pm Primary Teacher wrote:
Kids should not be taken out of school, full stop. Stop selfishly worrying about your holidays and worry more about your child's education. There's plenty of time for holidays when they've left school. The school is there to teach your child, not to pander after your every need. I can't believe this thread is worthy of any thought.
6
2
On 20 May 2013 at 12:56pm Malik wrote:
Assuming you really are a Primary Teacher, I am guessing it's sour grapes as you only get 14 weeks a year holiday. Everyone deserves some time out and a holiday is perfect for family time. If you're at home you are more likely to be doing chores, than spending time with your children. We've taken our child out of school for a holiday (and before you argue about how terrible that is, my partner is having Cancer treatment and we can't afford to go in the school holidays). I took several workbooks along so that we could do english and maths whilst we were away, and our child was also able to experience a different culture. Parents are not the selfish ones in this, we need to tackle the greed of the holiday companies.
7
2
On 20 May 2013 at 1:09pm Lewes lad wrote:
Stop blaming the holiday companies and schools. If you want a good education for your children keep them at school. Parents expect everything from schools but give very little back. Im sure parents would be pissed off if the kids teachers took time off when ever they wanted. Kids get too much time off already, and this clearly shows when they leave education and try and survive in the real working world.
2
 
On 20 May 2013 at 3:52pm grafter wrote:
One reason for this being enforced is the large number of children who are sent for extended trips abroad for family and arranged marriages each year. Although this is not apparent in Lewes anyone who has lived in other parts of the country may have come across this. In Lewes it is more likely to be a family visit their villa in Tuscany.
 
 
On 20 May 2013 at 3:54pm jrsussex wrote:
The assumption to me appeared to be the statement .. and why all the "they are from a stable family bit"!!. I was not implying that having a stable family applied to any particular group whether married, partners, single parents or any other combination. If I read that incorrectly then I apologise.
1
2
On 20 May 2013 at 4:04pm parent wrote:
have you got children southover queenie ?
7
 
On 20 May 2013 at 4:40pm Deelite wrote:
I'd be surprised if that post was by Southover Queen. I think's it more likely to be by the vindictive lowlife who has been hounding her (and the reason she does not post here much any longer).
4
 
On 20 May 2013 at 5:06pm Sussex Jim wrote:
Who operates the Fine? Only a court of law should impose a fine; and if a school fined me as a parent I would tell them to poke it.
However, I do not agree with parents taking family holidays in term time just because they are cheaper then. This is a problem between holiday providers and their customers.
But working parents should certainly be compensated for having to stay at home during the teachers training junkets, that should be arranged during the 13 weeks between term time.
4
 
On 20 May 2013 at 5:38pm lewes lad wrote:
why not try and put in a counter clam for when your children have to have time off because of inset days you must have to make alturnative arrangment for them wich is sometimes difficult
5
1
On 20 May 2013 at 5:45pm parent wrote:
It's a nonsense on the whole. All of my kids' education has been disrupted at one point or another by teachers on long term sick and inadequate / ever changing supply teachers. Schools aren't so important that most kids aren't able to miss the odd day here and there and still do well in exams.
At the same time, when both parents have to work in so many families these days, there is a genuine value to the family in being able to get away together on a great, relaxing holiday. It re-connects you with your kids, and gives them experiences of different cultures, in a way that taking time off at home can't. If that, or part of that, has to be in term time so be it. I'd never take kids out of school during critical bits of Yr10/11 say, but otherwise their absence just isn't going to ruin their education.
2
1
On 20 May 2013 at 5:48pm Woody wrote:
When I said it was nothing to do with Ofsted, I meant they are not the organisation to go to for an issue like this. The Head is the person to go and talk to.
6
2
On 20 May 2013 at 6:25pm Annette-Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I think it's wrong to take kids out of school in term time, unless it's just a day or two at the very end of term when there's not much teaching going on.
The curriculum is so packed now, that a child can be quite behind if they miss a fortnight. I realise that a holiday can be an educational experience, but there's no GCSE in holidaying yet, and it won't help them get through their SATs. With so much emphasis on school performance, I can see why schools don't like it.
I also think it sends the wrong message, that going to school is less important than having a good time.
And it means that I'm more likely to encounter families with obnoxious spoilt kids when I go away in term time.
7
1
On 20 May 2013 at 6:55pm lewes lad wrote:
I think its wrong for schools . To shut down for inset days in term times .
The schools can not have it both ways
6
3
On 20 May 2013 at 7:00pm Boris wrote:
In the real world ( and by that I mean not in public sector land ) you can't all ways take holiday at the same time as when the schools have broken up.
If you want to take your kids out for what ever reason then you should be able to.
I would tell them to stick the fine.
4
3
On 20 May 2013 at 7:48pm Annette-Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Yawn
 
 
On 20 May 2013 at 8:03pm Deelite wrote:
Sussex Jim. Do you tell the Lewes parking scheme to 'poke it' when they fine you?
1
1
On 20 May 2013 at 8:46pm Boris wrote:
Are you tired Annette?
2
3
On 20 May 2013 at 9:09pm Zzz... wrote:
I have the feeling your 'real world', along with your outlook, might be quite limited Boris.


This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one


 

Starfish Studios Lewes 118:143
Starfish Studios Lewes

It just bothers me that anyone thinks that they or the government have the right to tell me what I can put in my own body. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine