Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Remembrance Sunday evening

On 7 Nov 2017 at 6:05pm Jonjo wrote:
Does anyone know the arrangements for Sunday evening st the war memorial. Times etc
Thanks
On 7 Nov 2017 at 7:52pm Billy wrote:
Apart from a publicised road closure between 16:30 and 17:00 I can't find any information at all. That is a shame.
On 7 Nov 2017 at 8:02pm inthegutter wrote:
I believe those representing fallen soldiers will make their way from the home of soldier to the war memorial carrying a torch. I think the plan is for them to all converge on the war memorial between 4.30-5.00pm to extinguish their torches as their names are read out.
On 7 Nov 2017 at 8:19pm The people wrote:
Inthegutter/ how do you know about this event?
On 7 Nov 2017 at 8:23pm Jonjo wrote:
Thanks for that guys hope they get a good turnout finish work at 4 so will be there
On 7 Nov 2017 at 8:50pm inthegutter wrote:
@the People
I'm one of those representing a fallen soldier matched to my age.
On 7 Nov 2017 at 10:45pm The Greek wrote:
Correct, there is an appeal for men 17-40 to take part, mostly to the bonfire societies.
On 7 Nov 2017 at 10:54pm Tropper wrote:
It's interesting how as Britain declines further then military fantasies become more important. We become more like Portugal or Spain every day.
On 8 Nov 2017 at 6:31am Jonjo wrote:
Nothing to do with military fantasies it's to do with remembrance. When people in this country fought to protect our way of life .the same way if life tropper that you and your sort are giving away cheaply so stay away simple
On 8 Nov 2017 at 7:51am Englishman wrote:
@Tropper- I have not noticed any decline in Britain; at least not in economic terms. You should think more positively.
And be grateful you live in a free country where you can exercise your opinions.
On 8 Nov 2017 at 8:16am Serious Joe wrote:
I would like to show my respect and attend the remembrance proceedings at the war memorial. But we have a baby, does anyone know whether or not they light bangers as I understand a number of bonfire societies assist during the event?
On 8 Nov 2017 at 8:26am reflecting wrote:
Unfortunately 'Englishman' exercising our opinions seems more and more to be circumscribed by the amount and quality of information we are fed in the first place. Opinion is of no use without facts and we have few in this age of dark arts and fake news. Occasionally a faint amount of truth does filter through - the Paradise Papers being one such example. Now there, coming through the murk are a few facts for you to have an informed opinion on. But mostly 'freedom of speech' is a quaint and impotent dream nowadays.
On 8 Nov 2017 at 11:15am Tropper wrote:
Jonjo what was our way of life that soldiers fought to protect?
On 8 Nov 2017 at 11:35am Mr Drummer Smurf wrote:
Tropper Freedom of speech
On 8 Nov 2017 at 1:01pm big dick wrote:
just bloody keep the white poppy a way
On 8 Nov 2017 at 1:22pm Older wrote:
There will absolutely be no white poppies as far as I am concerned. White is the colour of cowardice. White is the colour for traitors. White dishonours our brave boys who went off to war to let us be free. I remember after VE-Day we were properly forced to remember the boys who won freedom for us so we'd never forget. We were made every Sunday to polish our shoes and put our ties on for Church Parade to the Memorial. You had to be neat! You had to be on time! You were thrashed at school if you weren't! In the rain and in the cold we were all made to march properly and stand for Honour and for Freedom. We were told to be grateful to have freedom and we wore RED. I'd shame anyone wearing white for cowards. Same nasty do-gooders that did away with bread and water for prisoners and abolished hanging. Now, you try putting that to a public referendum!
On 8 Nov 2017 at 3:05pm Bob wrote:
@big dick and Older:
Ill-educated, ridiculous, scare-mongering claptrap.
You should be ashamed of yourselves peddling such utter rubbish. White poppies have nothing whatsoever to do with cowardice. Shameful.
On 8 Nov 2017 at 3:28pm The people wrote:
Bob, you really donít know the history on this, why donít you find out......
On 8 Nov 2017 at 5:25pm Bob wrote:
@The people:
I have found out thanks, from various sources. Easiest is to look at wikipedia, but it's pretty much the same message everywhere... care to point me in the direction of your sources?

Check it out here »
On 8 Nov 2017 at 7:06pm a good compromise wrote:
White poppies have eff all to do with honouring the dead so why place them on a war memorial that is there for exactly that reason, more lily livered left wing hypocrisy, set a peace memorial up some where, Oh yes the fairy ring is being turned into a peace garden well here's a deal, stick your white ones there and the red ones can stay where they always are, and I promise i will not put a red one on the fairy ring or indeed pick up the white trashy ones and throw them away
On 8 Nov 2017 at 7:57pm inthegutter wrote:
@a good compromise et al.
You're wrong.

From the Peace Pledge Union's own website:
"There are three elements to the meaning of white poppies: they represent remembrance for all victims of war, a commitment to peace and a challenge to attempts to glamorise or celebrate war."
On 8 Nov 2017 at 8:08pm Paolo wrote:
Siegfried Sassoon MC
On 8 Nov 2017 at 8:18pm Ben overton wrote:
Serious Joe, in answer to your question, it will be a Remembrance event.

Yes, people from bonfire are supporting this event - but it is not a "bonfire event".

No crackers, bangers or costumes. The purpose is to show how ordinary men of the town went off to war and didn't come back and to show the impact it would have on the population of the town today (which is why people have been asked to not dress up).
I hope people will come along and pay their respect. Thanks.
On 8 Nov 2017 at 8:42pm Paolo wrote:
Thank you Ben Overtones. A great way to pay tribute to those who did not return.
I have never really understood the connection between Bonfire and Remembrance, other than calendar proximity. Burning poppies in bonfire processions have always confused me.
Anyway, will be there Sunday.
On 8 Nov 2017 at 10:43pm Remember wrote:
White poppies equals brand theft. Pretty low to steal that particular brand.
On 9 Nov 2017 at 8:26am Impact on the population wrote:
Don't understand that one - the country as a whole had a much smaller population in 1914. Re. WW2 If you're of a certain age like me you remember men with limbs missing and ladies who remained unmarried. And there were occasions where "Jap P.O.W" was whispered with a knowing sad look.
On 9 Nov 2017 at 2:17pm Serious Joe wrote:
@Ben Overton - thanks for your reply. I will certainly be there Sunday.
On 9 Nov 2017 at 10:50pm Close the road wrote:
Serious Joe, the only role the bonfire societies play in the RBL Remenbrance Parade, and this year will follow on with supporting the evening event, is to ensure that all road closures are staffed because a few years ago it was cut from the budgets of Sussex Police, they stepped in to ensure that the event could go ahead without the costs of hiring security - no bangers, no fireworks, just a sense of duty and respect.
On 10 Nov 2017 at 7:30am Obviously never seen it wrote:
@ paolo, I think you will find there is more of a link than just date many bonfire boys left and never returned so why shouldn't every society remember the fallen? Also I think you will find the poppys are not "burnt" but lit up with lances so they can be seen from a greater distance, to burn them would be highly disrespectful.

On 12 Nov 2017 at 8:49am Robbie J wrote:
Being a coward and being a traitor is not mutually exclusive. The white poppies are a symbol for those who have fought, and died, in all wars.
Thank you for the info.

7 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Through the Barbican 125:132
Through the Barbican

The repeated attempts to dismiss the covid-19 pandemic as just another flu outbreak ignores a key difference. Flu victims feel... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa