Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Registration continued

On 29 Mar 2013 at 1:16pm Southover Queen wrote:
Judge Mental was surprised that I included Padster in the list of regulars who I think would do better under a more controlled regime.

I included him in my list quite deliberately. I think Padster gets very wound up indeed by the trolls and malicious posters who abound on this forum. They know exactly which buttons to push.

His views are generally far from mine, but he's an excellent example of someone who should be allowed to voice his opinions without being trolled to the point of distress as he has frequently been. And frankly this town is full of people just itching to burn someone else, so he's hardly on his own there...

On 29 Mar 2013 at 1:51pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I agree with you, SQ.
The more I think about it, the more I'm coming round to the idea of compulsory rregistration. (I'm a bit surprised at myself, tbh, as I'm not generally in favour of compulsory anything)
I think it might deter trolls and troublemakers a bit.

On 29 Mar 2013 at 1:53pm Tim Wilkins real name wrote:
On Fri 29 Mar at: 13:05 Independent Thinker wrote:
Wow. Either the trolls are getting better at their impersonations of other users, or Tim really doesn't care how many strangers he offends!
I think you very well know it wasn't me but I don't disagree with the points made by my impersonator. I will always speak my mind but will always try to do it in a non threatening or accusatory manner.
I can't abide bonfire night for instance and i'm not afraid to say so here and publicly. How can killing and frightening countless animals be considered a good night.
Now half my friends are bonfire people, we just accept that our opinions differ. I am always right however.

On 29 Mar 2013 at 1:54pm Jane S wrote:
Tim (the real one) - it's rather like Second Life - it's part of human nature that a lot of us feel more able to express ourselves, for good OR bad, if we're behind a screen of some sort. I wouldn't dream of venturing onto a forum in my own persona, but my invisible friend Jane S is braver and organises her thoughts and views better, and speaks for me. I fear that the Forum would collapse if we all had to give our real names; many good voices would be silenced.

On 29 Mar 2013 at 2:45pm Southover Queen wrote:
Well frankly if you think Padster is plotting mass murder I think you're probably on your own. That goes for the locals too: burning effigies of popes (and others) is well documented and also rarely results in ethnic cleansing in Lewes. Introducing paedophilia into the equation is a fairly typical trollish argument - an excellent example of the kind of statement which winds people (like Padster) right up. It doesn't seem to have worked on me though. Sorry about that.

On 29 Mar 2013 at 2:57pm Jane S wrote:
No, Mr. (or Ms) Mental, 'many good voices would be silenced' if the Forum died out.
I'm leaving this discussion now as it's been taken over by a troll and the original good thread subject has been lost.
'Bye

On 29 Mar 2013 at 3:08pm Deelite wrote:
Whether he's a nutter or not (which he's clearly not) one errant comment in the mass of comment he made is immaterial. It is not comparable to the troll whose every comment is aimed at hurt and destruction and whose only desire us to destroy the enjoyment and use fullness of the forums for others. This is a diversion from the question of registration. Let's get back on course.

Emotionally I am against compulsory registration but the lack of maturity of one or two people who seem intent on destroying the forum make it necessary. It's shame, but these people will not grow up or go away so unless this forum us to die and/or the quality stay at a rock bottom level I think there will be little choice in the end.

On 29 Mar 2013 at 3:19pm Jane S (the real one) wrote:
As you see, registration would help stop the above - why be so unpleasant to me?

On 29 Mar 2013 at 3:27pm Clifford wrote:
I'm registered to post on the Guardian Comment is Free site (well, I would be, wouldn't I?). They still don't know who I am so identity is hardly a problem. You get lots of rentapost comments on there but obviously, the Guardian being the Guardian, they are generally grammatical and spelt properly. And anyone who offends against the Guardian's strange and inconsistent 'standards' is 'disappeared', or rather their comment is.

On 29 Mar 2013 at 4:31pm Deelite wrote:
Oh dear. Why don't you go away and find a nice high cliff somewhere? There's a good one at Beachy Head.

On 29 Mar 2013 at 7:44pm Shameus wrote:
I hope people like 'I don't live in Lewes' and me would be welcome to register and post, even though we dont live in Lewes.

On 29 Mar 2013 at 7:59pm Southover Queen wrote:
I'd have thought so, Shameus! One of our regulars lives in NZ so I'm sure a residency test would be on a hiding to nothing (and who's to tell anyway?)

On 29 Mar 2013 at 10:07pm Deelite wrote:
Ah. My post above makes no sense at all now the one I was referring to has been removed. It looks like I was having a go at Clifford instead, which I wasn't.

On 29 Mar 2013 at 11:16pm Lewes lady wrote:
Are you joking Clifford? It's not known in the trade as the Grauniad for nothing! Does it still have the corrections column in every issue?

On 29 Mar 2013 at 11:33pm Jane S wrote:
Hello Deelite - ditto, as my response referred to the deleted pretty scrubby post. Thanks, Webbo. Roll on registration....

On 30 Mar 2013 at 11:45am Deelite wrote:
Yes, lots of posts gone. and users too. Looks like Nixon Scrapes & Judgemental might have been seen off (for a while anyway). Good riddance.

Agreed, roll on registration. Then maybe Webbo could appoint some mods to free up his time.

On 11 Apr 2013 at 12:45pm echo wrote:
Southover Queen says introducing paedophjilia into the equation is not helpful yet she is quite fond of smearing people as paedophiles herself.
She has, for several years, insisted that she received threatening emails from an anonymous email service frequently used (according to her) by paedophiles but has refused to present the evidence of this to the person she publicly accused of sending them. She instead wasted police time by claiming she was being harassed. These are the lengths she will go to cover up her lies.
She is an extremely dishonest and highly manipulative individual who cannot be trusted to keep a cool head when people disagree with her.

20 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Burning Crosses in Lewes 15:132
Burning Crosses in Lewes

So today Iím on rest day and tomorrow, but my thought is the cost of those bangers could be put to better use by donating the... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare