Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Recycling...

On 9 Dec 2011 at 8:21am Hummingbird wrote:
Hello all,
I'm new to the area and wondered if I'm the only one in Lewes that's a bit gutted that there's no food waste or cardboard collection? My rubbish has actually doubled since moving here, which is a real shame. ( I see they may recycle card on the outskirts of town, but have no car and a garden not big enough to do composting) From Scotland, Devon and South London they all recycle these items via the Kerb recycling scheme or at least at your local supermarket. Does anyone know why Lewes does not? I don't want to moan or encourage it even, just wonder if there's a positive way that myself and hopefully many others can get the council to look into this and follow other councils. Hope you can help...

On 9 Dec 2011 at 8:25am Southover Queen wrote:
I have no solution, but I do heartily agree. I throw out a lot of cardboard, and having to take it to the tip is surely completely counterproductive!

On 9 Dec 2011 at 8:31am DFL wrote:
There is a cardboard collection, but I think it's only twice a year, so if you have a lot, then that's a problem. However, if you go to the supermarkets, you could take a little with you and deposit it in the recycling bins ? As for food, I don't think there's any facility for that just yet, but you're right Hummingbird, when we lived in London, we had that collected as well. Maybe the council could up the number of cardboard collections ?

On 9 Dec 2011 at 9:19am Hummingbird wrote:
Southover Queen,good to hear that others think the same. I wonder how we can instigate some change on this....
DFL, when I visited Tesco and Waitrose, it said no cardboard only paper and magazines, is there one I'm missing? I don't mind taking it there each week....
Saying that if the council could collect it would save many tonnes from landfill.
If many people feel this way, I am sure the council will look into it...? (I'm an idealist)

On 9 Dec 2011 at 9:33am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Why not get a wormery for your food waste? They're supposedly excellent.
We have dogs, aka recycling bins on legs, so non-compostable food isn't wasted in my house.

On 9 Dec 2011 at 12:05pm PLUMPTON LAD wrote:
LDC are meant to be rolling out a doorstep cardboard recycling scheme, but not sure on the exact timetable. I know it has been given a test run in Newhaven. Someone else who posts on this site may know more

On 9 Dec 2011 at 12:22pm Clifford wrote:
We put our food waste in a composter too. Like most people in Lewes, we haven't got much of a garden, but the composter produces some nice muck to spread on what little there is.

On 9 Dec 2011 at 12:52pm Commuter wrote:
I have never understood why there is no collection for cardboard as it is one of the most common of recycling materials! this is the only place I know that doesn't collect it. I do hope that LDC will be rolling out a scheme to collect cardboard (I didn't know about the twice a year collection but I don't see how anyone could keep it all stored away for 6 months and not have a vast amount to hand over!)

On 9 Dec 2011 at 1:09pm Local(ish) wrote:
I live just outside Lewes but presume I get the same waste collection service as those in the town. To many people in my village, the current system is perfect, because generally "if it is left outside, it will get removed". For instance, my neighbour puts out 2 wheely bins a week (sometimes 3) and it always gets removed. Whether we are an isolated case I don't know, but it doesn't incentivise anyone to segregate waste and recycle.

On 9 Dec 2011 at 8:50pm Peasant wrote:
Despite its Green-tinged image, Lewes is rubbish at recycling.
Collecting food waste and recycling cardboard is routine in most places these days. Lewes District Council just doesn't care. Of course, cardboard burns quite well in the incinerator, along with the plastic waste they also ignore. Segregating food waste is basic hygiene though - it can be composted effectively and without it the rest of the rubbish is much less obnoxious.
On 9 Dec 2011 at 11:30pm Jack Hughes wrote:
LDC is RUBBISH at recycling. Why is there a four week gap between doorstep collections out our way - to coincide with the busiest time of the year for accumulating recyclable stuff?

On 10 Dec 2011 at 12:21am ethel wrote:
I used to live in Winchester, they did an alternate week collection. One week a bin full of household garbage. The other week, ANY recycling you could (including cardboard) all in one bin. These bins were quite large as well. Why can a large city adopt this but not a town?

On 10 Dec 2011 at 9:31am bastian wrote:
LDC is appaling for recycling.I would like to see collections or a point for collection of cardboard because not everyone has a car to drive it to the dump and what about the elderly who want to take part but can't manage?
Also some of us don't have storage space for our recycling .

On 11 Dec 2011 at 11:48am hummingbird wrote:
Great to see and hear lots of support for a better recycling kerb system. Thanks Plumpton Lad for letting us know about the possible future plans of kerbside cardboard recycling, I am going to see if I can find out more about this. If I get any facts, I will let you know.
Honestly a bit fed up of the doom and gloom from the media, so I am on a bit of a mini local mission to DO something positive. All support is very much appreciated and gives me a kick up the bum as motivation. If anyone has any ideas on how we can encourage the council to listen and make some changes on this, please let us know
On 11 Dec 2011 at 4:15pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Where are the Lewes Green party when you need them ??

On 11 Dec 2011 at 5:47pm Southover Queen wrote:
All power to you, Hummingbird. I don't think you'll find many Lewesians who don't think this is a bit of a scandal, so go nobble a councillor!

On 11 Dec 2011 at 7:30pm TT wrote:
We did have a better recycling system that was operated by Furniture Now but LDC ended their contract and took the service back in-house as reported in the Sussex Express a little while ago. FN had taken it upon themselves to start a food recycling programme which was collecting food from local businesses. LDC used to have a cardboard collection point at the recycling centre in North Street but they ended this as well...

On 11 Dec 2011 at 10:37pm Recy Cling wrote:
Is it just me that thinks the people that collect the recycling are miserable. They throw and kick the bins around and don't speak or smile when you acknowledge them. Obviously don't enjoy their jobs! Shame as they do a worthy job.

On 12 Dec 2011 at 9:39am Commuter wrote:
you have my support Hummingbird!

On 12 Dec 2011 at 9:55am Hummingbird wrote:
Good news just in from LDC!!
"Regarding cardboard recycling; we recently finished some trials of collecting cardboard as part of the kerbside recycling scheme on 4 collection rounds. I am pleased to report that they were successful so we will be rolling out a cardboard recycling service to the entire district over the next 6 months. As soon as it is available on your collection round you will be delivered a bag and information leaflet."
And for food waste, a bit of a vague yet positive response:
"Regarding food waste recycling; we have recently done an extensive study into how we can provide a food waste collection service to the residents of Lewes District. There are a few more operational issues to go over but it is looking increasingly likely that this will be a service that begins in the near future."
So I may push for a clearer answer for the food waste and if anyone wishes to show their support, perhaps you can E-mail helen.holland@lewes.gov.uk to show your support for this to be started ASAP. If they see support for the planned scheme and feel a little bit of pressure it may get to the top of that priority list!
Thanks Commuter and Southover Queen for the support! Good news hey!?

On 12 Dec 2011 at 10:10am Cliffite wrote:
Not sure if there is a recycling collection for residents on Cliffe High St, I just walk ours down to the point in the car park and for cardboard, take a jolly along the Ouse with it under one arm and turn up into Ham Lane and drop it off at the tip. Perhaps some enterprenurial chap can fashion a bike trailer thing and do a cheap collection and dump deposit service for those unable to walk it down themselves?

On 12 Dec 2011 at 12:58pm Commuter wrote:
Excellent news, well done Hummingbird! lets hope they keep their word and we see this happening next year.

15 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Impending Sheep 45:132
Impending Sheep

'credited to the 'rona' - Odd that. 'the 'rona' takes up less space and as much breath as 'corona' so why say 'the 'rona'? Is it... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine