Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Re proposed referendum march

On 17 Jun 2016 at 4:46pm watcher wrote:
Jeremy Corbyn has called a continued halt to national Labour EU campaigning over the weekend and for local campaigning not to be resumed until Sunday.
I do hope that the proposed march for Saturday will now be cancelled; it seems entirely inappropriate while the flag flies at half mast at Lewes Town Hall.
On 17 Jun 2016 at 5:25pm camera man wrote:
watcher good post
On 17 Jun 2016 at 5:25pm Concerned wrote:
If Joanna Carter wants to go ahead with the Gathering it should be held in County Hall Car park not march though the Town.
On 17 Jun 2016 at 6:00pm Lewes Voter 3 wrote:
Disrespectful. But what would "in" voters know about respect and loyalty anyway?
On 17 Jun 2016 at 6:19pm Fact Check wrote:
The March is indeed cancelled which will disappoint you no doubt as you will have to stop being swivel-eyed for a while.

On 17 Jun 2016 at 6:59pm Old Malling wrote:
I'll be pleased to walk over Cliffe bridge without being accosted by Leave or Remain tomorrow. Will be glad when this whole process is over - whatever the outcome.
On 17 Jun 2016 at 8:38pm watcher wrote:
This has got me thinking about the whole concept of this march. Leaving or
remaining - actually of what exactly - is a complex multi faceted issue that should be outside the realm of tinny party politics. To propose a march supporting one side shows a woeful misunderstanding of the complexity of the issue in the first place and also a complete lack of understanding of the social implications involved. It is misplaced rabble rousing and reflects
the crass fever of this whole spurious scheming political 'debate' embarked upon so recklessly for all the wrong reasons in the first place. We are in a hard place with the wrong choices being the only thing on offer; neither are good. And we have not been informed enough to debate which is the less bad. It has indeed been a nasty manipulative process.
On 17 Jun 2016 at 11:14pm Clifford wrote:
What has to sad death of this MP got to do with the continuing referendum campaign? There is no connection.
On 18 Jun 2016 at 1:07am Bored of Brexit wrote:
Come on Clifford, you're better than that. I rely on you for common sense sometimes so it shouldn't have to be spelled out. But here you go: Pro-immigration, pro-remain MP murdered by allegedyly pro-Britain First man, on the same day the Brexit campaign's Nigel Farage champions an incredibly divisive poster that has people arguing the desinger is a Reamin-er such is it's capacity to engender fear of Nazi-ism post-Brexit. If nothing else the way the Leave poster echoes Nazi propaganda should terrify people. Unfortunately, not everyone is capable of thinking for themselves though.
Whether the two are linked or not is irrelevant. People need to take a step back and think about the decisions they are making and whether the reasons behind them are rational or bred by a fear that has no basis in fact.
At the moment the fear-mongers are winning because it's easy to kid people who don't think about things too much. My view is that they need to be told we're not stupid; Each to their own though.
On 18 Jun 2016 at 7:00am Labour Party member wrote:
I see Farage's leave poster as simply drawing attention to the uncontrollable levels of immigration. Yet the inclusion of non-white faces seems to some to be racist.
We see advertising everyday on hoardings or TV that contains a racial mix of people. Where is the outcry about those?
On 18 Jun 2016 at 8:14am pn wrote:
Both the UK citizens living in the EU and the EU citizens living here are white "Labour member". Why do you think Brexit shows to show a tidal wave of dark faces.....I think we all know .
This imaginary invasion of other races , let us not forget is endlessly accused of sucking up resources ( which an utter lie they contribute to the exchequer ). The Brexit advert featured an old white lady unable to access services due to our EU contributions ….Our highest ever inward contribution would constitute a bit over a 1% increase (c.) in public spending , set against a £40bn black hole predicted by the unimpeachable IFS ,the treasury and the Bank of England . More lies
Lewes 3 asks “what would "in" voters know about respect and loyalty anyway? Presumably he is unaware that the dead victim of a Nazi nut was an in voter and campaigner.
Sums it up.
Thankyou Bored of Brexit - Your post was a pleasure to read I still hope people will step back from the abyss but we shall see .

On 18 Jun 2016 at 8:34am Reality wrote:
Why on earth would anyone need to march to get their point across in this referendum, there's been more than enough coverage already across all media & through our doors. Even more campaigning & quoting of 'facts' coupled with some of the characters involved in the March could, dare I say it, be a potential 'own goal'
On 18 Jun 2016 at 8:38am Reality wrote:
PN when the public raise fears of immigration it is the sheer numbers involved NOT generally about skin colour. The cost in terms of additional housing, social care, infrastructure etc etc is potentially crippling for an already stretched nation, to deny that is just plain wrong
On 18 Jun 2016 at 9:37am Clear wrote:
Perhaps some remainer can tell us where the 1 million people every three years are supposed to live?
You simply cannot plan for any services in a rational manner with the current system therefore if you're intelligent you will vote leave.
The immigration question is so simple - the people who should decide it's levels are us through the ballot box not unelected commissioners.
Another point is that in favouring the internal open door migration of predominantly white europeans the EU is racist in blocking a fair policy for those outside of the EU.
On 18 Jun 2016 at 10:31am Clifford wrote:
Thanks for the compliment Bored of Brexit, but what I meant by 'no connection' is that I did not see why the campaign should be halted because of what is, I agree, a vile murder. What I do dislike is the way politicians of all parties are now using the MP's death as a reason to us, 'Look at us, aren't WE all wonderful'.
On 18 Jun 2016 at 10:38am pn wrote:
Reality –There is no outcry about the French population living and working in the City of London eg. Remain thrives vote is in places where EU citizens come to work , like Lewes. Brexit dominate where there are almost no EU incomers . There are however new populations of Bangladeshi Sudanese and Pakistani (Muslims , mostly .)
I have long been an opponent of the irresponsible rate of settlement of this latter sort ,and the Liberal inability to see what they were doing to working class England but that is not for today.

None of this has anything to do with freedom of movement within the EU there are as many rits abroad as EU citizens here , they have provided growth contribute to the exchequer and as a consequence create more resources than they use . They grow the economy !! IT IS SIMPLE !!!!
Even if you do not accept that ( despite its quantifiable truth) and you view the Germans and French in Lewes as an unpleasant burden ( ugh) have you seen the IMFs forward projection today ?. A 5% growth drop in the next three years . That’s about a £100bn tax shortfall
HAVE YOU ANY IDEA WHAT THAT WILL DO TO THIS COUNTRY , TO THE PEOPLE IN IT , TO JOBS IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR TO INTEREST RATES , do you realise the MPC are standing by right now for emergency interest rate rises. ?!!!!!!
What are you doing for god`s sake !!!
I can only say to anyone who will listen please wake up , ask people to help we can still save the country from poverty isolation insurgent Fascism and , incidentally an ultra right wing Conservative Government happy to lose Scotland
PS-I am so disagusted at those elements of the Conservative Party happy to encourage this that I am thinking of joining the Liberals if they`ll have me . Not sure quite how I`ll go down with that lot but anything to take revenge on that imbecile I voted for ( Doh )
On 18 Jun 2016 at 10:39am Tom Pain wrote:
Would you do business with a company whose accounts have not been passed by the auditer for every year of it's existence? That's the EU folks.
On 18 Jun 2016 at 12:10pm Fred2016 wrote:
IMF have a very poor record on predictions. Not to be trusted.

On 18 Jun 2016 at 12:14pm Just Bob wrote:
Interest rate rises pn?
Perhaps those who have savings and pension funds will welcome this. Their savings and pension pots have shrunk, whilst buy to let landlords and others have reaped the benefits of 'cheap money.'
As for the referendum, all it has nurtured is lies and hate within the population of the U.K. At the end of day the government will choose what they want regardless of the electorate's wishes.
The U.K. a democracy?..............only if you do as you are told by those whose only criteria is 'what's in it for me?'

L
On 18 Jun 2016 at 12:52pm Fred2016 wrote:
All UK pension schemes will be hit by Euro rules which we cannot avoid. Will require significant increase in ring fenced capital in funds which means less available for paying pensions. Do not underestimate how serious this will be.

On 18 Jun 2016 at 1:01pm Clifford wrote:
Tom Pain wrote: 'Would you do business with a company whose accounts have not been passed by the auditer for every year of it's existence?'

I'mvoting Leave. But what you say is quite simply wrong Tom. There are many good arguments against remaining in the EU wIthout making some up.

Check it out here »
On 18 Jun 2016 at 4:13pm Violet Elizabeth Bott wrote:
Tho pleathed it didn't go ahead as it wath a thupid idea

On 19 Jun 2016 at 6:43am William wrote:
For once I have to agree with you, Violet.

14 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Elly Angel 114:132
The Elly Angel

Yes in some cities they have now tow trucks for the emergency purpose is roads are blocked but you still need tow service from... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the way streets have street parties!!!!!!!
JoJo