Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Rapid Police Response

On 23 Jan 2008 at 9:01am The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Please can we have no more griping about the reluctance of the police to walk the beat, or attend crime scenes within a fortnight (unless it's to issue a spending ticket). Thousands will today pound the streets of the capital in their own time. You couldn't make it up, could you.

On 23 Jan 2008 at 9:21am Cynic wrote:
Yes, and who is going to police their demonstration !! Maybe some out of work miners, or the pro hunt protestors could go and rough them up a bit ?

On 23 Jan 2008 at 5:28pm The Honest Truth wrote:
I hope the police get their pay award as it seems unfair that the civilianised posts within the force have already received their awards.

On 24 Jan 2008 at 4:37am expat two wrote:
and I hope the police behave themselves. Lets hope they don't force whoverer has to er.. police the event into the baton charges and brutality meted out to the striking miners, poll tax protesters and hunt supporters (who have all obviously deserved it)

On 24 Jan 2008 at 7:41am Double Yellow Line wrote:
Well the hunt supporters certainly do.

On 24 Jan 2008 at 7:57am SHS wrote:
No they don't.

On 26 Jan 2008 at 6:46pm Northern bigot wrote:
I agree with TF, 25,000 in the capital apparently. Rather like Lewes bonfire, these days they either turn up in their hundreds, or on a day to day basis not at all!
I stand to be corrected by a forum regular, but is it not the case that they can retire with a handsome pension after 30 years work? Therefore someone who joins at 18 can look forward to putting his feet up at 48? If only we could all go under such circumstances!

On 26 Jan 2008 at 7:08pm Dan wrote:
If only .. Those of us who joined before the Age Disc Act can retire at 30yrs with a pension .. although it does not become index linked until we turn 55 .. it isn't bad because we put 11% of our salary into it every month but at the same time it is not enough to stop working and there is no employer contribution.. the vast majority of PCs go on to second careers ..

On 26 Jan 2008 at 9:40pm Northern Bigot wrote:
Dan,Thank you for youre informative response. I believe its similiar in the fire brigade. I only mention this because i got an irate response from a fireman on this subject "How would you like to be carried by a fireman in his fifties"!!! the mind boggles!

On 27 Jan 2008 at 7:19am FA wrote:
Would you do their job NB ? would you put yourself in the front line and risk your life every day ? would you enjoy getting assulted and spat at by a twelve year old knowing you can't so anything about it ? could you spend months trying to secure the conviction of a filthy paedophille only for some old fart of a judge set him free ? Could you pick up body parts after attending an RTA....and then go round and tell their families that their loved one has died ?
And all this, i do believe, for an annual salery of around 28k (many people who sit in an office and play with computers earn twice that)
The problem is, many people are very quick to blame the front line police for not turning up to roberies, not being on the beat, getting too involved with speeding tickets etc etc. But we all know that their directions come from above....chief supt's want their results which are set by chief constables and the home secretary.
If the "big bosses" want arrest numbers to be set at a certain level, they're not going to send their officers to a no hoper such as a burglary where there's no chance of catching anyone.
ALL our frontline emergency services do a superb job and should get everyone's support

On 27 Jan 2008 at 9:14am AF wrote:
I think a substantial wage increase for coppers is a great idea, if more people were attracted to the job then maybe they could get rid of all the control freaks and thuggish bullies that currently populate the ranks. You know who I mean - those coppers who enjoy dispensing a bit of 'authoriteh'. I know they're not all like that, but there's far too many who are and until they're sacked the rest of us have every right to be suspicious and contrary.

On 27 Jan 2008 at 12:06pm Northern Bigot wrote:
FA, there are many "difficult" jobs i couldnt or wouldnt want to do! I was not singling out the Police. I was looking for clarification that they can go after 30 years. Dan has confirmed this for those who joined before the Age Discrimination Act, but it is not index linked until they are 55.
Cheers.

On 27 Jan 2008 at 12:39pm FA wrote:
Yeah...sorry. I was referring to the toothless fairy's post initially.
I can't be certain but i'm sure the armed forces can retire even earlier if they want...maybe 45 yaers old. I stand to be corrected though.

On 28 Jan 2008 at 9:21am The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Ignore the Landport bore's first post. Seem to remember him saying his old man was one of the brave boys in blue, so he can hardly have an independent view on this matter. Best go back to the tally ho to shout at the television, eh? (Don't forget to wear your football shirt or Dick won't let you in)

On 28 Jan 2008 at 9:57am FA wrote:
So it is you who sits in the corner of the Tally "grooming" all the little kids on a sunday afternoon
Tut tut spineless fairy

22 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Harveys Dray 41:132
Harveys Dray

There seems to be lots of people with leaky fuel tanks in lewes as i keep seeing queues around all petrol stations in town.... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell