Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Rail strike / London commuters

On 1 Apr 2010 at 10:27am Down and Out wrote:
Just wondered what anybody else is planning if the strike goes ahead? Southern says no trains at all from Lewes all week. I'm off on Tuesday but vaguely wondering whether it's worth trying to organise car-sharing to Haywards Heath or Gatwick - where there will be a reduced service - if anybody is interested? Think it still might be too much grief as the trains which do run will be packed.

On 1 Apr 2010 at 10:41am MC wrote:
How about persuading your employer to let you work from home? :-)

On 1 Apr 2010 at 10:47am Down and Out wrote:
MC - my employer is all for it; it's just that some of the things I've got on at the minute I can't really sort out from home. And some of my minions tend to swing the lead unless I'm there with my foot on their throat...

On 1 Apr 2010 at 12:04pm Commuter wrote:
I'm taking it as annual leave if it goes ahead- don't want to even attempt the crush up to London (if it was at all possible).

On 1 Apr 2010 at 2:31pm Clifford wrote:
Down and Out - I suppose your 'minions' swing the lead when you're not around because they know your attitude towards them. You must be very full of yourself.

On 1 Apr 2010 at 2:57pm Down and Out wrote:
Or maybe I could have been being less than entirely serious, perhaps.

On 1 Apr 2010 at 3:09pm Clifford wrote:
No, Down and Out, I think you were being serious and are now trying to pretend it was a joke. Petty NCO types are always like that.

On 1 Apr 2010 at 4:05pm Off-Message wrote:
Lighten up Clifford. D&O seems pretty fair-minded to me. Just cos you can't get away with skiving when your boss isn't around...

On 1 Apr 2010 at 4:44pm Down and Out wrote:
Oi! O-M! Get back to work NOW!

On 1 Apr 2010 at 5:08pm Clifford wrote:
I suppose if you think its okay to call your colleagues 'minions' there's no harm done.

On 1 Apr 2010 at 5:24pm Off-Message wrote:
Oh crickey Clifford, how much does the chip on your shoulder weigh?

On 1 Apr 2010 at 6:20pm Clifford wrote:
Don't understand Off-Message. How is it a chip on my shoulder to object to a boss calling his staff minions? Are you sure you're not Down and Out?

On 1 Apr 2010 at 6:43pm Stig of the dump wrote:
Our foreman once called myself and my colleagues "minions". I waited until everyone was gone then offered to rip his face off if he called us that again. He hasn't.

On 1 Apr 2010 at 6:56pm james wrote:
I am with Clifford on this one. What an insult. No-one is a minion. I hope they have a few names for you Down and Out.

On 1 Apr 2010 at 7:35pm Clifford wrote:
It's good to see there some other people here who don't think a boss is entitled to insult people he works with. That sort of thing is to first stage to bullying - 'I can do what I want because if you complain you'll be sacked'. Also good to see you took some action to put a stop to it Stig.

On 1 Apr 2010 at 7:55pm old Cynic wrote:
Stop panicking folks - its all off for the moment!

On 1 Apr 2010 at 8:07pm Clifford wrote:
The bosses can't really lose can they? They change your conditions and when you protest they get the judge to say you can't. And they call this a democracy.

On 1 Apr 2010 at 8:44pm Off-Message wrote:
So let's get this straight: calling your employees 'minions' in jest on an internet forum is 'the first stage to bullying,' but 'offering' to rip your boss's face off is a legitimate form of 'action' on the part of an employee who has been so-called. Hmm.

On 1 Apr 2010 at 8:47pm Clifford wrote:
You just don't get it do you Off-Message. A boss is in a position of authority and has the power to sack someone if they answer back. Insulting a worker in that situation is bullying. Taking the boss aside and warning him to be more careful about his behaviour is a natural reaction.

On 1 Apr 2010 at 9:26pm Off-Message wrote:
I'm not defending bosses who insult their employees nor, as an employee myself, would I be happy to be insulted (although, even then, I could think of worse things to be called than a minion). Once an employee has qualified for employment rights, they cannot be sacked on the whim of an employer for 'answering back.' This the C21st, Clifford, not The Condition of the Working Class in England in 1844. I notice you're backtracking a bit on Stig of the dump. First it was alright to offer (how kind!) to rip your boss's face off, but now, on reflection, it's acceptable to 'take the boss aside and warn him to be more careful.' In both cases you'd be making a real or implicit threat of violence, and this is potentially a criminal offence.

On 2 Apr 2010 at 7:06pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Gawd, what a sense of humour failure! Are you on the waiting list for an irnony transplant, Clifford?

16 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Crest 66:132
Lewes Crest

The idea, of course, is that the influx of skilled migrants from Asia will displace lazy Brits from their comfortable white... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell