Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Question

On 15 Jun 2016 at 7:47am SHS wrote:
Who is in charge of the EU and how do we have a say in policy and the laws which are drawn up and passed? Can we, as individuals, vote for a new EU leader?

On 15 Jun 2016 at 8:32am Wotcha wrote:
Can we, as individuals, vote for a UK Prime Minister?
On 15 Jun 2016 at 9:56am The Old Mayor wrote:
SHS - We do have general elections in this country !
But the EU does not, leaders are elected by committees !
Can anyone name them ? WITHOUT GOOGLE !!
On 15 Jun 2016 at 11:19am In the gutter wrote:
I think it's clear that we (the electorate) don't elect the PM. At best we select representatives (typically by political party) with the leader of the party holding a plurality (in most cases) becoming the PM. The leader of each party is selected from a limited franchise (arguably a committee) ranging in size from only the parliamentary party (the sitting MPs of the party) to pledged "supporters" of the party.
The executive of the EU is the European Commission (EC). In its narrowest sense the EC is a cabinet of 28 commissioners (one from each EU country) nominated by individual state governments. The President of the EC assigns positions (portfolios/responsibilities) to each commissioner. The President of the EC is elected by the European Council (the heads of government of the member states). The "commission" is then approved by the European Parliament (which is directly elected citizens of the EU).
In its wider sense the EC encompasses a large number of civil servants responsible for drafting (but not approving) legislation.
So... I would say that there is less of a connection between the EU electorate and the President of the EC than between the UK electorate and the PM however, IMO, this does not mean either are "undemocratic" (though see below about the UK PM).
The President of EC is ultimately decided by democratically elected representatives (members of national parliaments and members of the EP). However, you could argue that a UK PM appointed mid-term and selected (to be leader) by a limited franchise of "supporters" (and not democratically elected representatives) is actually undemocratic (or at least more undemocratic than the selected of the EC President).
On 15 Jun 2016 at 3:21pm Sad Lee wrote:
I've voted at every election since my 18th birthday in 1972. Thanks to the first past the post system, my vote has counted for nothing irrespective of whether I voted Labour, Lib Dem, Green or Independant. Perhaps it's time to try something else.
On 15 Jun 2016 at 3:45pm In the gutter wrote:
Alas, thanks to massive negative campaigning by the Conservatives we missed out on AV, the first step to a more representative system.
I guess your vote still counts (unless you favour very small parties) at European Parliament elections though I suspect we might not have another one of them.

31 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Pells Pool Perspective 97:132
Pells Pool Perspective

Well it looks as if I can jet off soon , none of the loud mouths with nothing behind them have anything to say, all piss and wind... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If you lend someone £20 and don't see them again it was probably worth it.
Dan