Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Quality of this forum

On 30 Mar 2011 at 8:37am Jane Rees wrote:
A few years ago I really enjoyed reading the forum, but it is really bad now and the quality of discussions is often childish and puerile...in particular the 'political' threads..can some of you grow up? or are you actually a bunch of 12 year olds just having a laugh?...frankly it is difficult to tell..

On 30 Mar 2011 at 10:46am Wagbo wrote:
I quite agree. Full of one upmanship crap these days. Who can make who look sillier. I gave up posting ages ago,

On 30 Mar 2011 at 11:05am Newmania wrote:
Hey don`t blame me .I happen to like politics but there are plenty of places where I can discuss that sort of thing without all the obsessive personal malice you seem to get here.Some of it has been pretty scary and none of it either entertaining or informative. Pointless really
I am a Lewes father of three , go to Tescos , go to work,do stuff makes things have the odd drink
Happy to chat about anything at all Ms. Rees.
Better get back to work right now though

On 30 Mar 2011 at 11:16am 'ere be monsters wrote:
Now I know you're a wind up Newmania, but really that is too much to stomach!!

On 30 Mar 2011 at 11:27am Hoist wrote:
I find newmania quite funny. I have seen a lot ruder stuff on this forum than the silliness he usually comes out with, (and quite often nasty comments are directed at him). He just can't argue very well, that's all. And his politics are rubbish.
You don't have to join in a thread you don't like and then if everyone feels the same way as you it will die.

On 30 Mar 2011 at 11:42am The Twister wrote:
This is a fundamental problem with internet forums. In real life you might meet up with a group of reasonably intelligent friends and discuss politics, sex, football etc etc. In this medium any half witted twat can join in , which generally leads to a situation where you can find a higher level of conversation going on in your average primary school playground. My tip? - Stick to real life.

On 30 Mar 2011 at 11:44am Hoist wrote:
What are you doing here then?

On 30 Mar 2011 at 11:45am The Twister wrote:
You have just emphasised my point.......

On 30 Mar 2011 at 12:05pm Hoist wrote:
And I've emphasised mine...

On 30 Mar 2011 at 12:14pm not from around here wrote:
Looking down the list of subjects discussed in this forum there is no shortage of non-political threads. The forum is useful for finding out what's happening locally but I for one think it would be ridiculous to only restrict forum postings to "I've lost my cat, can anybody help" or "does anybody know the phone number for the takeaway".
One of the negatives of Lewes is that it is often far too insular leading to some truly bizarre views among it's inhabitants so it definitely needs to be more than just local tittle-tattle on here.
Jane Rees, instead of complaining why not add you own comments or start your own thread - not only post to complain about the 'quality' of the forum.
If the forum ONLY dealt with local issues it would quickly become irrelevant. The political discussions (even with the name-calling) on here keep the place interesting. If you don't like them, don't complain, just don't read or respond to them.

On 30 Mar 2011 at 12:49pm Newmania wrote:
Well I hope to see some more on AV as the referendum, approaches for example . That is something that we will all be involved in and the more you know about it the better to make an informed decision.It would be very odd if a Forum like this was silent on the subject entirely

On 30 Mar 2011 at 1:28pm Hoist wrote:
I can't see why people look at stuff that's going to offend them. Reminds me of Mary Whitehouse.
It's quite obvious from a thread's title what it's going to be about and political discussion has always been a hurleyburley - have a look at the very funny political riot in Middlemarch.
The thing about chatting with your friends in a pub is that they will nearly always agree with you. I don't get the chance to chat to people like newmania very often and anonymity means that people can say what they really think. I see myself as largely left wing, but find that there is tendency on the left for a kind of thought police where you have to take the party line about everything.

On 30 Mar 2011 at 2:38pm Clifford wrote:
Exactly, Hoist. I've learned a lot on this site - both local information and a clearer view of other people's opinions. I'm a lefty but I've always been impressed with, for example, jrsussex's ability to argue the right-wing point of view coherently and without hysteria.

On 30 Mar 2011 at 3:22pm jrsussex wrote:
Thanks Clifford but I have to tell I have moved to the left (only slightly) due to some of the unecessary cuts, the return of some of the MP's expenses and our action over Libya.

On 30 Mar 2011 at 3:36pm Clifford wrote:
I had noticed, jrsussex. I think your opinion on the issues you mention could equally be held by someone on the right as on the left. For example, many of the cuts are as much a threat to business as to the public sector, MPs' irregular expenses go beyond party, as does action in Libya.

On 30 Mar 2011 at 3:42pm Newmania wrote:
I find myself left out on the right as the coalition fails to take on vested interest , re -shape the economy or do very much to cut spending ( If Economically Liberal is the same as right wing )
Of course what Lewes considers right wing is unusual . If you look at the electoral Map of the South at today`s polls Baker still gets in.
( There is an electoral map thingy widget )- He is so isolated in a sea of Blue that it reminded me of the village of Asterix The Gaul.
In broader terms , in the South anyway I am main stream whereas a Clifford , for example would be a dangerous radical .

On 30 Mar 2011 at 4:05pm jrsussex wrote:
Clifford - You're right of course but the coalition, Tory led, are the Government of the day and as such must take responsibility for their decisions. The return of what I believe to be unjustifiable expense allowances to MP's and yet again the interference in other countries has shaken my beliefs a little. Of course the left or the right could have come to the same decisions but that does not necessarily make it right. I thought the hand in hand decisions of UK / USA policies were behind us with the ousting of Blair and Brown but, unfortunataly, it would appear not to be.
To all - On the matter of comments on this forum never forget that all have the right to an opinion, that you find it repugnant is by the by. I may not agree with what you say................

On 30 Mar 2011 at 4:51pm Clifford wrote:
Newmania wrote: '... a Clifford , for example would be a dangerous radical.'

Flattery will get you nowhere Newmania.

On 30 Mar 2011 at 7:04pm not from around here wrote:
It's a pity we can't find other ways of categorising ourselves other than the black and white terminology of 'left' or 'right' though. I have views that take me to either side of centre at different times, what does that make me, Independent maybe?

On 30 Mar 2011 at 8:23pm onewhoknows wrote:
Newmania, were you not Chair of North Islington Tories?

On 31 Mar 2011 at 11:32am Mother of One (child!) wrote:
Shut it the lot of you...this has turned into another 'political' (I use the term loosely) thread..............

On 31 Mar 2011 at 11:50am Mother of one (dog) wrote:
Who died and made you headmistress?

On 31 Mar 2011 at 5:13pm Who's the Daddy wrote:
Mother of One - isn't that what the Queen used to call the Queen Mother?
Perhaps there is Royalty in our midst!

On 1 Apr 2011 at 9:46am Mr Change wrote:
Returning to the subject I must agree with Jane, I started posting on this forum beginning of last year thinking it would be nice to have a few discussions about current issues, and maybe learn a bit more of the town I have been part of for many years, and who knows even make a few friends..... What a laugh that turned out to be, I was immediately, repeatedly verbally attacked in an aggressive and childish manner, after a few months I decided I didn't need it, and I know I am not the only one who has left as a result.
From time to time I do still keep an eye on the threads in the hope that things might have changed, but clearly not. Some of you might well be intelligent, well informed people, interested in a genuine debate about issues of the day, regardless of what the subject matter might be, but I must say the majority are childish, rude and horrible. If the managers and mediators of this site want to have a truly local independent forum that is a place for local residents to share and discuss views they have, then you have some serious work to do because currently this forum is a very small world, mostly made up of 20 odd, not very nice people, who change their names every time they post and regularly insult people. I also disagree that web forums are of this nature, I belong to several others and I must say they are all a hundred times better managed and informative than this one.
OK I have finished, I won't be back, you can insult me now!.. bye.

On 1 Apr 2011 at 10:28am Mr Pompous wrote:
The real rudeness comes from people who are arrogant enough to try to tell others what to talk about, or who sabotage conversations by repeating lines over and over again or trying to enforce topic changes.
Perhaps what you said was stupid and pompous and that why people took the piss.
Rude enough for you?
Bye

On 3 Apr 2011 at 9:08pm moi wrote:
its just a troll forum now, unfortunately.

11 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Tableau 2015 24:132
Cliffe Tableau 2015

New highly rated management. 2 very good new players signed already and plenty more to come. This season could be very... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Believe you can or believe you can't... Either way you're right
Paul