Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Pub Crawl

On 12 May 2017 at 10:15am The Greek wrote:
Has anyone ever successfully completed a pub crawl of all 18 pubs in Lewes? If so what order did you do it in?
On 12 May 2017 at 10:53am Old times wrote:
We used to try and do it most Saturdays...... or it felt like that!!!
It's a badge of honour!!
If you tried it now you would be put on pub-watch for having to much fun!!!!!
On 12 May 2017 at 11:36am Ed Can Do wrote:
We did it for a mate's stag do, you need to start pretty early...
We did it in this order:
Snowdrop
Dorset
Gardeners
JHT
Volly
Spice Merchant (Lots of rice to soak up the beer)
Elly
Tally Ho
Black Horse
Swan
Pelham
Con Club
Brewers
Kings Head
Rights of Man
Lamb
Crown
Oak
Lanny
The curry helped a lot, as did the longer walks to the Swan and back and the King's Head and back up the hill. Admittedly we didn't go to the White Hart but it's not really a pub.
On 12 May 2017 at 11:51am The Greek wrote:
Nice one...a curry is definitely a good idea! I was wondering if top down was better but that seems quite a good circular route.. You missed the Lewes Arms though!
On 12 May 2017 at 1:22pm Play scheme helper wrote:
Lewes hoilday play scheme workers did it quite a few years ago to raise money and the did 26 pubs in lewes , starting very early !! Go girls !!
On 12 May 2017 at 1:26pm The Greek wrote:
^ Where are the other 8 pubs?!
On 12 May 2017 at 1:31pm Pedro wrote:
How on earth can you manage 18 drinks (and thats not counting a drink at the curry house!) in one evening??!
On 12 May 2017 at 1:48pm Play scheme helper wrote:
Sadly the other 8 pubs are no longer !
On 12 May 2017 at 1:52pm The Greek wrote:
That's a shame!! I remember the Meridian as a kid.. that's it.
On 12 May 2017 at 2:32pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Oh yeah, Lewes Arms after the curry on the way to the Elly.

I said start early Pedrau, like 11am early. On a Saturday you've got 14 hours until the Lansdown shuts, that's easily achievable.

Back in the day you would have had the Windmill, Pewter Pot/Meridian, Fruiterers, Prince of Wales, the one opposite the All Saints and I believe the Rainbow was originally two separate pubs. Not sure about the other two though.
On 12 May 2017 at 5:20pm Jonny wrote:
Ha ha, The White Hart, it's not really a pub but it's not really a hotel either.
18 pubs. Half pints in each or pints for the professional drinkers?
On 12 May 2017 at 7:45pm Drinker wrote:
Yes, did it when there were 21 pubs (including the White Hart and Shelly's as they had public bars). It was a bit of a bugger at the time because they didn't all open all day so you had to get the timing right! We did the outliers first (Swan, Kings Head, Tally) and then worked our way through the town from top to bottom. Don't forget that the Crown is closed now!
On 13 May 2017 at 10:26am Local wrote:
You missed of St Mary's and Lewes Working Men's Club
On 13 May 2017 at 11:39am 80's wrote:
Top and bottom legion , postal club see board club fire station con club st pancakes club
On 13 May 2017 at 12:27pm 70's wrote:
Just got hammered in The Rainbow. End of.
On 14 May 2017 at 5:00pm Red Barrel wrote:
In my day you had to do it on a Monday to take in the Market Tavern. Then on to the Bell in Eastport Lane, followed by the Kings Head, Swan ,then up Winterbourne to do the Pewter Pot and the Windmill before getting a taxi to the Blacksmiths, taxi to the Tally Ho, then another taxi to the Prince of Wales and then the Wheatsheaf, Dorset, Fountain, Snowdrop and then back to the Gardeners, Volly, slight detour down Friars Walk to the Railway and the Red, White and Blue before heading up Station Street to do the Royal Oak, White Hart, the Crown, The Lamb and the Lewes Arms with a detour to fit in the Fruiterers. Double back to do the Rainbow, then up the high street to do the Brewers, Shelleys, Pelham and then to be welcomed with wide open arms at the Black Horse to finish....NOT. I haven't included the Postals, Seeboard Club, Both Legions, the Druids or the Buffaloes or the Con Club as they had funny opening hours and quite often were members only. In those days, beer was only 2 bob a pint but the snag was it was 10.30 -2.30 and 7 to 10.30 opening times so it was a mad dash to get the first half done, find somewhere to throw up or have some nosh and a kip before starting the second stint. I just remember it always ended in tears.
On 14 May 2017 at 5:18pm The Greek wrote:
Amazing!
On 14 May 2017 at 5:36pm Red Barrel wrote:
Blimey! I completely forgot the Landsdown! hic.
On 14 May 2017 at 7:51pm supporter wrote:
Forgot TheThatch as well.
On 14 May 2017 at 8:11pm Red Barrel wrote:
The Thatch had been closed for a long time by then. I'm going back to the early seventies but some of the old boys of the day said it wasn't a real crawl unless you included the Thatch, the Fox and the Jolly Anglers. We just thought they were taking the p.
On 14 May 2017 at 8:24pm North wrote:
So the Elly didn't warrant a visit then as now?
On 15 May 2017 at 1:08pm Red Barrel wrote:
Dangnammit, I forgot that one as well, Should have done the Elly after coming back from the Fruits and before the L.A.
On 27 Jul 2017 at 1:11pm robsinden wrote:
We did 21 a few years back, including the Meridian, the White Hart and Shelleys. Think we must have followed a similar pattern to Drinker above as we had similar issues with the timings.

On 28 Dec 2017 at 9:18pm Rhys wrote:
Thinking about doing this pub crawl this Sunday.. (New Years Eve) what pubs will be open late and do they charge to get in?

13 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Moving On parade 93:132
Moving On parade

Eddi: Amazon delivered your parcels to us today you've got the wrong address in your account.

Please let me know what you... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde