Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Prom at Priory Cancelled

On 27 May 2010 at 10:20am Decent Citizen wrote:
I have just been informed, that parents have received letters cancelling the prom until further notice. So just a bit of high jinks was it? Once again the "i"m having fun " idiots spoil it for the others who were not involved.

On 27 May 2010 at 11:45am Sparks wrote:
It's strange how this country had adopted the bizarre 'prom' idea just as it is going out of favour in the land of its birth, the US. Anyway Decent Citizen, altogether now, 'You've let down your school, your family and most of all yourself.'

On 27 May 2010 at 3:24pm Jimmy wrote:
Im sure there was a large percentage of the children at priory who ruined not a select few. Every year students are warned not to plan anything for their last day but they still do. As "Sparks" says I don't know why English schools adopted proms as it is an American tradition and there is no way the schools in England would fund them like they do in America.
Maybe a bit of discipline will do them good

On 27 May 2010 at 7:02pm another morph wrote:
Have you yourself recieved this letter? because i am a year 11 student at Priory and i was told that it is still on by a number of teachers. I haven't recieved a single letter about it from the school and haven't been refunded the money that i paid for it.

On 27 May 2010 at 7:31pm English Teacher. wrote:
I before E except after C.....

On 27 May 2010 at 8:07pm Sparks wrote:
English teacher - I blame the.... English teachers.

On 27 May 2010 at 8:22pm MC wrote:
Maybe Priory should take a leave out of Peacehaven Community school's book, they tell the older kids that the last day of term is the day of their last exam.... so the last day is staggered.... no trouble there.
On 27 May 2010 at 10:00pm Old Codger wrote:
Yes bad spelling AND bad behavior. Tut!

On 27 May 2010 at 10:08pm Sparks wrote:
That would be 'behaviour' would it Old Codger? Or are you American?

On 28 May 2010 at 10:19pm Furious wrote:
Disgraceful behaviour by a significant majority of the so called 'nice' students. Prom should rightly be cancelled I have no intention of supporting it.

On 29 May 2010 at 1:20am Smiler wrote:
What?
Its the kids last day of school, they have been under the cosh of a system built around school results rather than individual growth. Its no wonder they want to break free and rebel.

Rebel!!? the kids now don't know how to rebel, all that creative self belief that rebellion requires has been drained out of them.

Its up to the school to manage it properly not punish the majority for the actions of a few, that's a pathetic excuse for retribution.
Priory cancelled my boys last day of school and I have never seen him so angry. He had his goodbyes stolen.
Priory really need to get it sorted out, if the kids want to damage the school then they need to look at why that is. If the kids want to let off some steam and have a laugh then they need to facilitate that.

Palming off the responsibility to the police is just utterly undefensible.

Shame on you Priory School

On 29 May 2010 at 10:40am Priory parent wrote:
You are so wrong Smiler. Why should a majority of the kids suffer because a few decide it's great fun to smash the canteen up and smoke bomb reception. This is actually called criminal damage, the emphasis being on the word CRIMINAL. If these "young people" want to be treated as adults, they need act as adults and also take the consequenses of an adult if it goes t1ts up.
As mentioned somewhere above, would you be happy for these young "rebels" to run past your house and smash it up, trash your garden, scare your kids and mrs half to death ? The moment these things step over the line, it becomes a police responsibility and if the "rebels" can dish out the cr@p, they should be able to take it too and if that means being arrested for criminal damage etc, then tough.
I really have found the whole of that last post to be pretty insulting to the majority of law abiding, decent pupils.

On 29 May 2010 at 11:31am Sparks wrote:
Is it me or is there something odd here?

Smiler writes, 'Its up to the school to manage it properly not punish the majority for the actions of a few, that's a pathetic excuse for retribution.'

To which Priory parent replies, 'You are so wrong Smiler. Why should a majority of the kids suffer because a few decide it's great fun to smash the canteen up and smoke bomb reception.'

Is this a job for Specsavers?

On 29 May 2010 at 5:41pm Decent Citizen wrote:
Whilst I feel for those being punished for the behavior of others,what else could have been done to get the message home? What would next year bring?

On 29 May 2010 at 10:01pm PARENT & FRIEND OF STAFF wrote:
Its a real shame and very sad that Priory School are not having anything to do with the Prom and no doubt they are feeling sad aswell as angry with the decision they have made because of the disgusting behaviour by a vast majority of year 11 students. Yes of course its always been known of students leaving to set fire alarms off and a couple of stink bombs but is throwing eggs at teachers, shouting in teachers/staffs faces, filling water pistols with urine and squirting it at staff and pupils, smoke bombs which when one teacher tried to open a window because visibility became so bad slipped and badley injured her leg which ended up with a trip to hospital!
Police were called as back up only to have they car vandalised! Alot of the years 11's had been drinking and smoking dope before they came in, amongst the majority of the ones of causing the disruption was a girl who my daughter and her friends have classed as a middle class dope head yet it always the ones from less fortunate families or broken families that this behaviour is expected of. So yes it is unfair, it might feel like others are being punished for someone elses behaviour but what the hell do you expect the staff to do when they have had to deal with a load of unruly, agressive, disrespectful and drunk/doped up students!! The embarrasement, disgust, shock and stress it has left everyone feeling and you think they should be supporting the Prom!? Perhaps those who think they should have a taste of what the staff went through. I know the school took every precaution and did the best they could to make sure that last thursday was pleasant and rewarding for those leaving and at the same time safe for those in years below so the school is not to blame, try a bit infact alot closer to home. Before any sad person points it out, yes there are spelling mistakes, bad grammer etc but i am so cheesed off with the ignorance, snobbery and stubborness of some parents that i really don't care, i am just glad to know that i don't walk around with my head up my a***!

On 30 May 2010 at 6:04am Priory parent wrote:
Now that post above, just to redress the balance a bit, should be post of the month WEBMASTER.

On 30 May 2010 at 12:52pm therealalekid wrote:
Yikes - I thought my year was bad all those years ago when the last day was punctuated with the sound of fire alarms.

On 30 May 2010 at 3:17pm jrsussex wrote:
The post from Smiler gives an insight into why some young people of today think that their disgraceful anti-social behaviour is acceptable, "If the kids want to let off some steam and have a laugh then they need to facilitate that". Next thing he will tell us is that they have "nothing to do", which makes it OK to vandalise property and terrorise people in the vicinity. The vast majority of young people throughout the UK behave themselves, they find things to do, take part in sports, join clubs etc, many do voluntary work and a host of other activities.
People such as Smiler simply add fuel to the fires of those morons who believe they can behave in whatever way they wish with complete disregard for others in the community. He/she needs to start telling them their behaviour is unacceptable to society in general and should attract deterrent punishment. One last point, all parents should be held responsible for their off-spring until they reach the age of 16, which includes being punished for the childrens crimes.
Yes it does appear to be very wrong that all the decent children now have no prom, which they have probably looked forward to for months, but what else can the school do? If they go ahead and there were any injuries due to the actions of these moron's their parents will be first in the queue outside the office of the "no win-no fees" lawyers.

On 30 May 2010 at 4:04pm Clifford wrote:
JRSussex writes, 'He/she needs to start telling them their behaviour is unacceptable to society in general and should attract deterrent punishment. One last point, all parents should be held responsible for their off-spring until they reach the age of 16, which includes being punished for the childrens crimes.'

Bravo! That is exactly what the parents of the Bullingdon Club youths did when their sons smashed up property during their drunken binges - paid for the damage so that their little Tory darlings would not face any problems in later life.

On 30 May 2010 at 4:20pm Smiler wrote:
I didn't say the behaviour was acceptable.
I do say I think Priory have handled the end of year very badly in the past.

I don't think stamping on this behaviour is the most effective way to deal with it and I believe that Priory should find some constructive way to satisfy the needs of both the pupils and the school.
Its called conflict resolution and it works better than punishment.

On 30 May 2010 at 6:48pm jrsussex wrote:
Clifford - I suspect your comment to be a double edged sword, are you sure all the parents concerned were Tory? May have been a few Libdems sprinkled among them!!!:-)

On 30 May 2010 at 8:11pm Clifford wrote:
JR - I wouldn't be surprised if you're right: the Whigs were often wealthier than the Tories.

On 31 May 2010 at 6:21am MC wrote:
Jrsussex. You offer only punishment as a solution to wrongdoing. This leaves numbers of people with only the fear of getting caught between them and the fulfillment of their anti-social desires. This is a far from perfect situation, especially when you consider the poor records our police have of solving crime (and I have direct experience of their pathetic abilities to properly investigate crimes) and our overflowing prisons.
I'm not saying punishment does not have it's place, but is is a incomplete, unsatisfactory, emotional-based knee-jerk solution that satisfies only those that lack the imagination and intelligence to look under the bonnet.
For the development of a sane, well-adjusted and happy society, free from fear, it is necessary to understand why people want to commit crimes such as smashing up their schools. Only if we understand these desires can they be dealt with affectively and at root. If a society fails to do this and relies  solely on deterrence it can create a pressure cooker, with the almost-inevitable result that one day the lid will blow off. And until that day you have a society that lives with fear and can't be at ease with itself, an unhappy society. 

On 31 May 2010 at 9:26am Priory parent wrote:
No wonder this country's going down the pan with posts like that MC. The kids are laughing their heads off because of the do-gooders in this country. I think that you should send them on a nice safari holiday next don't you.

On 31 May 2010 at 9:32am MC wrote:
Priory Parent. To avoid looking foolish it's best to read posts before commenting on them. This is the second time in this one thread you've carelessly misinterpreted a post and made an erroneous comment. In my post you seem to have missed this line:

"I'm not saying punishment does not have it's place"

On 31 May 2010 at 11:04am Decent Citizen wrote:
We live now, in a society of spoilt children, (and parents)with no basic ground rules that my generation were given. Many parents have opted out of teaching children self control,feelings of guilt (blame someone else)manners,I could go on but you get the idea. When you get parents making pathetic excuses for their childrens bad behavior,it is no wonder they feel able to behave the way they do. Having said that, there are still parents struggling to bring children up, in a decent manner that they learnt from their parents and grandparents. They have my sympathy when I see what they are up against. Mamby pamby parents should be sent on training courses.Us older ones could put them right! Nothing to do with the schools, just bad parenting!

On 31 May 2010 at 11:57am year 11 student wrote:
oh my god. the facts here are so so wrong. 'parent & friend of staff' i'm sure your son or daughter has heard rumours which have been going around and passed these on to you and you have hereby, mixed with the bitterness you posses and anguish you feel, have been led you to believe all of this. i know who you are talking about when you refer to these teachers but for privacy reasons will not mention names. a teacher was standing in the middle of the entrance to the school carrying tokens for the breakfast we were meant to have, she shouted above the noise "come and collect your tokens". it so happens that this teacher is the head of the 'new uniform policy' priory has employed but the irony is that she herself comes to school everyday with some of the biggest high heeled shoes i have ever seen! so when she stood in the entrance and the students came in she was surrounded by a crowd of students walking past. i stood next to her to attempt to talk to her as a select goup of students, including me, had planned a performance during the assembley, the teacher was overwhelmed bye the number of students and immediately felt 'harrassed'. later i hear the claims made by this teacher, she had said she had been "knocked over", something that i certainly didnt see when i was next to her, "she felt very upset by the manner in which we barged past her", when you stand in the middle of the entrance encouraging 300 students to come in and youre in high heels i have no doubt you will be 'knocked' a bit.
as for smoking dope and drinking. the police were amongst us, surely if anyone had been smoking dope or drinking something would have been done about it?! oh wait, that is unless that is another vicious rumour that has been heard by your friend or your beloved child, that has, and never will do anything wrong.
one arrest was made, but this student was released 30 minutes later after talks with the police. he was arrested after sliding over a car a move which is commonly used in many movies and tv programmes. influencial? a friend of this child then showed his disgust my spitting on the police car, parked again, just in front of the main entrance. vandalism?
piss in water guns and smoke bombs. you can have your own fantasies with the water guns and penis' but we did nothing of the sort. as for the smoke grenades, research had been done by the student who purchased these and they are completely harmless. infact they are used in many day to day sports and activities such as laser quest and paintballing. the danger of these smoke grenades has been very wrongly depicted and as for the teacher who slipped, may i suggest injurylawyers4u? i do however advise that if the matter is checked over, they dont really have a case, after all, they slipped whilst opening a window and there was no issue with visibility, the smoke was far to dispersed!
so to conclude. before you start making accusations like these, i suggest you do get your facts straight, because it sounds like in your distress you are making wild claims without having actually experienced what really happened. with my head being so far up my @rse i find it difficult write let alone have carried out what you claim. the prom should not be cancelled because some of us have actually had the balls to go up to a girl and ask them and now the celebration and a prospect of a wonderful evening is being taken away from us.

On 31 May 2010 at 12:14pm Decent Citizen wrote:
You prove my point so well Year 11 student!!

On 31 May 2010 at 12:21pm Priory parent wrote:
Ahhhh, the "it's never our fault" brigade are alive and well.
I've posted 3 long replies to this thread and each time ive gone to post them, the site has crashed. Can't be arsed anymore.

On 31 May 2010 at 12:27pm Decent Citizen wrote:
Please try again Priory Parent.

On 31 May 2010 at 12:45pm Decent Citizen wrote:
Bring back name and shame. When I was at school in the 50s,any misdemeanor was hauled up at the assembly,on stage! Us (good kids)had a laugh at the stupidity of the pupils. This was quite tame considering last Thursdays events. Being late consistently, not doing homeworketc. Tell you what, us kids minded we behaved. The SHAME of being up there in front of whole school . I cannot help but feel sad for todays kids,no bounderies,no parents to give you another clip around earhole for bad behavior. Very sad times we live in when even parents do not respect the job teachers do.

On 31 May 2010 at 12:48pm year 11 student wrote:
please i would like nothing more than to hear what you have to say. the site doesn't crash when i posted a long message, so i hope what you have is genuine, i'd love to hear it

On 31 May 2010 at 1:20pm MC wrote:
If you have problems with it crashing (which I don't by the way) write the post in Notepad and then paste it in to the forum. That way you won't lose all you've written if the forum does crash.

This is a great thread.

On 31 May 2010 at 1:54pm Decent Citizen wrote:
Perhaps I am seen as old fashioned but,I seem to recall being happier knowing what my parents would and would not put up with. I think it is called respect! As a teenager in the sixties I was very aware of my parents feelings and did not do anything that brought shame or distress to them. If I come across as goody two shoes tough,I gave my own children a similar upbringing and am proud to say, they are great kids. Both have gone on to be respectable members of society which you may now, or at some time be gratefull for.

On 1 Jun 2010 at 12:50am Brixtonbelle wrote:
FFS. Priory School just got an 'outstanding' at its ofsted. It must be doing something right.
Decent Citizen you talk as if kids were running riot everywhere, everyday. Stop reading the Daily Mail and get out a bit and meet some real people. Every child I know at Priory has parents who impose very strict boundaries on them, they are respectful. kind, bright and good humoured. There are always a minority of people in any section of society who don't play by the rules and kids are no different - please don't tar them all with the same brush.

On 1 Jun 2010 at 10:24am Decent Citizen wrote:
Brixtonbelle please read my posts again. Nowhere have I said they run riot every day! I was however, pointing out what I have observed, having lived in the street for many years. I also said I was aware of parents bringing up their children decently and that they had my sympathy1 There are many parents who would be shocked were they to observe their kids too and thro school. No, I do not read Daily Mail or any other newspaper,but rely on first hand experience.

On 1 Jun 2010 at 4:15pm Another Year 11 Student wrote:
I find it shocking that many of the adults in our town feel they have the right to judge all Year 11 pupils at Priory so harshly. Yes, some students were behaving in a way that wasn't particularly necessary, but this was no more than taking a few clocks off the walls and knocking over a few chairs. Only two smoke bombs were set off within the school, but the teachers and police actually made this situation worse by only allowing a single file exit from the main hall. This caused a panic and consequently led to the staff feeling that the students should leave. Many pupils, myself included, were understandably upset to be leaving their school of five years, and were attempting to say goodbye to their friends and those teachers who were still somewhat relaxed about everything. The police made this impossible as we were immediately told to vacate the premises.
I'll be the first to admit that certain pupils could have acted in a better way, but this was by no means the worst last day that Priory has seen. Two years ago, the Year 11s were not even allowed a last day because the teachers had received threats. Nothing of this sort happened from our pupils; all our year wanted was a fun and memorable last day, and to say goodbye to the school. The fact that certain members of staff (naming no names) feel that this behaviour means that we cannot have a prom is ridiculous. The majority of students that acted out on the last day have been banned from prom - and it would be easy for the teachers to ban anyone else they feel does not deserve a place, or might cause trouble. A concern voiced to me by one member of staff was that certain banned students might attempt to enter the prom - but this is why they have security. As I previously mentioned, we are by no means the worst year group that Priory has seen (we don't threaten teachers, for example), and so I doubt this would be too much of an issue.
What is shocking is that the school refuses to be honest with its pupils and their parents; one excuse given on the letter sent home was that it had come to their attention that insurance might be an issue, because the students are technically 'off-roll' - not enrolled in the school any more. Priory holds a prom every single year at roughly the same time (July), and never before has this been a problem.
I'm sick of the people of Lewes judging the Year 11 students from Priory and feeling that we are undeserving of a prom; we have worked incredibly hard for the past five years in school, and are continuing to do so through our exams. Prom should be a reward for us, to signal the end - and it is also the last chance we will get to say goodbye to many teachers and pupils, who we couldn't see on the last day due to being confined to the school hall. Don't condemn the entire year for the actions of a MINORITY, many of whom are well-behaved students under normal circumstances.

On 1 Jun 2010 at 4:19pm Another Year 11 Student wrote:
Also, many students have already put a great deal of effort, and more importantly, money, into finding their prom outfits and transport to and from the prom. Prom is very important to many people, and so expensive outfits have been purchased. If the school wants to take away our prom, then they should refund the money that has already been spent on it to individuals.

On 1 Jun 2010 at 4:44pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
Organise it and hold it somewhere else.

On 1 Jun 2010 at 5:39pm year 8 student wrote:
It was the staff, not the kids that created a state of caos and tension throughout the school. Thier actions were stupid and unjustified, if they don't like teenagers then why are they teachers. By banning prom they have upset and angered a great many people who feel like they are being punished for othrs peoples mistakes. The letter sent out said that there was a chance that some of the 'trouble makers' were going to prom, but they weren't sure. I have no idea why the school got oustounding in ofsted and i don't believe that it was fair. The teachers and senior management have an exreemly poor relationship with the pupils and they, naming no names, *miss twily* really don't seem to like us. I think that i have seen Mr Ofield twice since joining the school. So, who else is up for sending the letter to a national newspaper?

On 1 Jun 2010 at 5:42pm Whacko wrote:
Stop bloody whining about it. If you behaved like that anywhere else it wouldn't be dismissed as youthfull exuberance, so what makes you think that you should have some kind of immunity. Some people need to get used to the idea that they have to take responsibility for their actions, and the consequences of those actions on both themselves and others. How about the puplis who did these things reimburse the other puplis for the cost of their outfits ? Bet that hasn't crossed your mind.

On 1 Jun 2010 at 5:59pm Another Year 11 Student wrote:
Whacko - Don't assume that I'm placing all of the blame with the school and its staff - I'm definitely not. I never said that school pupils 'have immunity' from the consequences of their behaviour. Certainly, setting off smoke bombs inside a school isn't the best idea, and I'm not saying that the behaviour of certain pupils was acceptable or necessary! And I'm certainly not 'whining.' What I'm saying is that it is completely unfair for the actions of a few to ruin something for over 200 people. Yes, in an ideal world, everyone would understand that their actions have consequences, not just for them but for other people. But many adults never follow this, and act in selfish and often stupid ways. Please don't try to suggest that the prom being cancelled is fair because we are just teenagers, who need to learn a lesson.
Also, please don't assume what has and hasn't crossed my mind. Yes, it would also be fair for the pupils' who caused trouble on the last day to reimburse some money, but what I'm saying is that it isn't solely their fault that the prom has been cancelled. The school doesn't remain blameless here.

On 2 Jun 2010 at 12:46am Decent Citizen wrote:
after all this discussion i have come to the conclusion that Priory students should have their prom, i think the students who have commented on this thread have all given fair points. Also their use of mature language proves that Priory must be doing something right with these children.
I would also like to add that anything discussed on here will never really cause any action as it is 6 old codgers who are bored with their lives and decide to try and inflict hardship on the younger crowds because they wasted their own lives and never left their precious Lewes.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Lewes Love 70:132
Lewes Love

What is it with some people?
With their kid's education at stake, this numpty thinks it's a good idea to ask complete strangers... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Believe you can or believe you can't... Either way you're right
Paul