Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Pro Phoenix Development March

On 30 Nov 2015 at 2:15pm Dixie Normus wrote:
I think I am going to arrange a Pro Phoenix Development March.
Shall we say meet at North Street car park around 10am on Saturday 5th December to support the great and exciting new development that area of our town so badly needs.
WHO IS WITH ME?
On 30 Nov 2015 at 2:53pm Fake Sarah wrote:
That pop up is really fing annoying and its only popped up on me twice. People who hated the shakey arm will hate this even more!
On 30 Nov 2015 at 3:44pm sid the man wrote:
Dixie Normus . sound great I can get a few others
On 30 Nov 2015 at 4:42pm Liar wrote:
Where does one find about the great and exciting new development that the town so badly needs.
I'd like to set up a group that can meet up and find out more. about the grand design..
On 30 Nov 2015 at 6:06pm Bongo wrote:
Anyone would think they are being made homeless, not just having to move their business elsewhere!
On 30 Nov 2015 at 6:21pm stig of the dump wrote:
I'll be there
On 30 Nov 2015 at 7:19pm Janet wrote:
The anti Santon scheme march is this Saturday.
I'll be there

On 30 Nov 2015 at 7:31pm sharp eyed wrote:
First paperwork I've seen where they're not begging for money. Remarkable!!!
On 30 Nov 2015 at 7:39pm Tony Pollybee wrote:
I will be there in support of the artists, where would we be in this town without the artists. These poor people do us a great service and have to struggle on their 40k a year arts council grants.
Save The Artists.
On 30 Nov 2015 at 7:42pm Janet wrote:
and save
Starfish
The skate house
The Dance academy
Furniture Now
the community chef
North St garage
Zu studios
Cafe des artistes
William hardie
Ingles hall
Wenbans
And countless other local businesses and livelihoods
On 30 Nov 2015 at 7:47pm lewes wrote:
Say yes to the development!
On 30 Nov 2015 at 7:56pm Just say yes wrote:
Say yes to santon and create:
Extra houses for people to live in
And some at below market rates
Flood defences to save the town
New businesses such as
New nursery
New health care centre
New bridge to reconnect malling
Walkway along the river
Additional workspace
Resturants and bars
Additional tourism increased spending in town.
Additional jobs
Revamp the delapidated state of the north street area.
Existing businesses to relocate. They have known this was coming for some time.
Say Yes to Santon or we will be looking at this eyesore for many more years to come!!
The future is here!
Say Yes before its too late.

On 30 Nov 2015 at 7:59pm lewes wrote:
By the way wenban are going to malling brooks and they are very happy with it!
The existing businesses can find somewhere else. What did they do before they were here 5 years ago. Lewes is not the only place in the world and the north street area is not their god given right!
On 30 Nov 2015 at 9:02pm bumpkin wrote:
I'd also say yes to development! I think it'll be a much better use of the place and the businesses have had enough time to (and should in general) find other places, their loyal followings should follow them.
On 30 Nov 2015 at 10:01pm Liar wrote:
Have been working in Horley
Driving around Crawley to screw fix etc last week and can see why some folks want to keep the Phoenix estate in the face of redevelopment
I grew up in Horham and over last 25 years have seen all the housing estates spread across Sussex
Having spent the last three years living on the Phoenix estate
Plus nine months on the local traveller site.
It's been very interesting as I've always lived in house/flat
It goes without saying that most folks are working and creating interesting stuff, yet you also have the lazy dossers that are taking the Michael.
After grafting everyday which lead to a hernia Feb 2014 running and building SkateHouse the lazy dossers from the yard moved in and took over and went on a campaign to discredit me and I've had deal with it being said that the reason I wasn't involved anymore with SkateHouse was "because I was on the sex offenders list"
Now I've tired to not take it personally??
I'm not on the sex offenders list by the way..
I do have a crimal record and at the time had a CRB check with the police.
In fact spent few sessions at Lewes police station answering charges made up by the SkateHouse management.
A very sad state of affairs.
just spend this summer taking rubbish to the local tip trying to make one of units fit for arts and performance etc and cleaning the riverside and getting in the face of the so called
"Ones we have been waiting for"
Can't wait for the place to be bulldozed, the area is an eye sore and to much wasted space..
Yet I do have a concern where to the folks that are providing services to the community
And for a small town there's a lot
Is possible that a town gets to have say
When santon developed the brighton site did they knock everyone's socks off with community space and affordable housing.
I've enjoy the affordable housing living in the yard.
I've learned a lot and looking forward to moving on
The reason I've used the name liar is my integrity has tad lacking and this has effected everything.
This I'm taking care of now as I've not been happy seeing all the hard graft go to waste over and over
You are more than welcome to hold me to my word..

On 30 Nov 2015 at 11:31pm Tipex wrote:
Liar - you're hardly a good representative of the North St quarter. The vast majority of the businesses there are created by law abiding lewesians who can't afford extortionate business rates. You seem to be begrudging the fact that your dodgy past is about to catch up with you.
I'm not anti the development but selling it based on the merits of a new bridge, a couple of artisan eateries and a few semi cheap (extortionate) homes is dishonest. My kids will never ever be able to live in lewes as adults and that's genuinely depressing.
On 30 Nov 2015 at 11:58pm lewes wrote:
Tipex, there are loads of places my kids may never live but to say that is depressing is a bit dramatic and whats to say if they really do wish to live in lewes they may be be able to make it a possibility as I did recently. If not as lewes becomes unaffordable other places that are cheaper improve as they attract others in the same situation ie newhaven etc. Newhaven should be like dieppe and if the council develop correctly then it could be and would be hugely desirable. ie near the sea and link to France plus in the national park. Bigger house for less money and bigger garden. Perhaps in a few years people will say the same about newhaven as they do now about lewes!
If those businesses on the estate are truly viable then they would have needed to invest in planning ie a strategy to cope with the impending possibility that they need to relocate and if they can't afford lewes then there are other options around the local area.
Those businesses have enjoyed the cheap rates for several years and that can't carry on indefinately it is not sustainable for the site owner.
It appears that you are asking for these businesses to be treated as charities and if so they must fundraiser to achieve revenues or apply for grants to sustain themselves if it is imperative for them to be located in lewes.
It is more likely that your kids could live in lewes if there are more houses here as a higher volume of housing will have an effect that reduces house prices and buy to let's will be less attractive from April so that would help also reduce competition and prices for housing.
I mean 416 additional houses is a win win situation for the local and wider community.
On 1 Dec 2015 at 12:17am lewes wrote:
Tipex, what about flood defences. Surely that is a merit worthy of a development. Remember what happened when lewes flooded. What happens to all the current businesses on the estate then. Art + dirty river water = soggy mess!
On 1 Dec 2015 at 12:58am Cameron wrote:
Yah Lewes must have this development. My rich friends and I need some more properties to rent out to you middle class suckers. We need to keep you in your place and can't be having any uncontrollable creative types doing their own thing not towing the establishment line.
We can't control you if you have minds of your own can we.
On 1 Dec 2015 at 7:58am Janet wrote:
Really???

"Extra houses for people to live in And some at below market rates"
Hardly any and still not affordable"

"Flood defences to save the town"
Which wil push the water across Malling"

"New businesses such as New nursery New health care centre"
At the expense of many more

"New bridge to reconnect malling Walkway along the river"
Do we really need that?

"Additional workspace"
Less workspace actually

"Resturants and bars"
Haven't we got enough?

"Additional tourism increased spending in town."
Oh yes, that's where I would go on holiday to the new housing estate in a beautiful old town

"Additional jobs"
Less jobs actually

"Revamp the delapidated state of the north street area."
Oh look Burgess Hill

"Existing businesses to relocate."
The vast majority have nowhere to go
On 1 Dec 2015 at 9:23am lewes wrote:
Janet, on the 10th the decision will be made. Will you be moving from lewis if the development goes ahead. I suggest if not then it can't be as bad a prospect as you make out. I know it's hard for you to imagine it being good for lewes but you will see when it is built.
On 1 Dec 2015 at 10:14am Janet wrote:
I won't be moving but I have lived in places that have had developments like this and they have never, ever been good for the existing residents.

The New England Quarter development round Brighton station for instance, that's what Santon will turn a large part of Lewes into.

Is that really what Lewes aspires to be???
On 1 Dec 2015 at 10:25am Liar wrote:
I remember a trip to Deippe with the Gardners art centre staff where I worked in 1988
I was blown away with the arts centre, better than anything I'd seen in brighton or the south coast then, and now..
Newhaven is a prime place for development.
It's seems that the UK has a different look out on what's important.
On 1 Dec 2015 at 10:40am HeyHo wrote:
i they have never, ever been good for the existing residents.
Because they're the only people who matter in the world, obviously.
Why is it people who care passionate about Syrian refugees or the fate of artists' studios become so selfish when it comes to providing housing for ordinary people?
On 1 Dec 2015 at 11:30am snoopy wrote:
@HeyHo. Remind me of how many houses will be for social rents? (council/housing association) - I must have missed it. I've heard a whisper that the one partner who was offering truly social housing (YMCA) is no longer part of the deal even though it is still on the NSQ website.
For me 'Affordable housing' is silly phrase that means nothing. It will be affordable for those that can afford the market price minus the 20% 'discount'.
The council housing waiting list will hardly be touched by the development in its present form.....and you know it.
On 1 Dec 2015 at 11:32am Starfish youth music wrote:
Starfish will be on the march defending youth provision for Lewes.

We believe our project is worth saving.
We believe young people are important.
We believe our project enriches young peoples lives.
We believe our project adds value to Lewes.

At this moment we have nowhere to go.

The person who commented on grants clearly has no idea of the funding environment at this present time. We even have to pay business rates - even though we provide exactly the same 'service' as when first set up and funded by ESCC.
On 1 Dec 2015 at 11:45am HeyHo wrote:
Snoopy
Firstly, thanks to national policy, it is extremely difficult or impossible to provide new social housing. Full stop.
Secondly, there will be people living in those homes. Just because they are not paying social rent does not mean that they are not people. If they are moving from elsewhere, they will be vacating their old homes so that someone can live in those (and so on, further down the chain). By doing this they are making homes marginally cheaper all over the country.
Everywhere in the country people are making the arguments you make, which means fewer homes get built over the whole country, which means housing gets ever more expensive. (And the land on which it's built - making providing social housing more difficult).
Thirdly, Lewes has astoundingly expensive market housing. There is very limited stock for young families who would like to buy their homes, I presume their needs and interests are of no concern to you? The second most expensive market town in the country. If we had more market housing, the price in the future will be lower than it would be otherwise. That means more people who want to live in Lewes will be able to live here. Surely that is a good thing?
On 1 Dec 2015 at 12:02pm snoopy wrote:
@Hey Ho all that effort - what a waste. A simple NONE should have been the answer to my question.
My point is the developer (Santon & LDC) say one thing and do another. Clearly the 3 consultations and the final plan was a tick box exercise and you're clapping like a seal.
On 1 Dec 2015 at 2:59pm Dixie Normus wrote:
Can starfish not find somewhere else to rehearse then? Did you not use the All Saints until the previous businsesses that were on the estate were outed when the project first surfaced, before the place got over run by lets have it right a group of smelly hippies?
On 1 Dec 2015 at 3:18pm HeyHo wrote:
So because it doesn't provide any social housing it shouldn't provide any housing at all?
I don't get what you're saying. That we shouldn't ever build any more market housing in Lewes?
On 1 Dec 2015 at 3:27pm lewes wrote:
Snoopy, you don't seem to be able to open your mind to what HeyHo has taken the time to explain to you.
You are focused on one point but you need to keep in mind the bigger picture. We need to weigh up all the positives as well as negatives and you will see that the scales tip in favour of the development.
Snoopy do you see any positives for the development or is it all negatives for you?
On 1 Dec 2015 at 3:57pm HeyHo wrote:
I'm not 'clapping like a seal', I think this is probably the least worst option we can get. I'm sad about a lot of the stuff down there - I know about it more than most - but the alternative is probably a costly planning appeal that they will win as it is line with national policy. Or, potentially, Santon just kicking everyone out and demolishing, and then waiting for the 'automatic planning permission' on brownfield sites to kick in (new government policy) - and then they can do absolutely what they like without any 'affordable' housing or anything else the community might want.

On 1 Dec 2015 at 4:23pm Liar wrote:
8 years ago most of the buildings where empty
The 1st developer rented them out because of a change in policy that owners now had to pay rates on empty buildings
Brilliant, everyone has had a good run for the cheap rent and charity status to avoid paying business rates..
All good!
The buildings are dangerous and folks have been very lucky to get away with whatever.
If the site was saved and developed the sites health and safety and old sheds would cost a fortune and everyone would have to move for that work to be done and then who every owned and had invested in converting the old foundry site would looking to charge the market rate just like across the river..
Get real
It's like Hippy cult making all noise so they can keep on making as much money for as long as possible..
On 1 Dec 2015 at 4:28pm shambles wrote:
I know who liar is, and he's a rough diamond in many ways-he did put his foot in it at the phoenix and though bitter, needs to rmemebr not to carry his chip around on his shoulder.
There are many very useful and interesting businesses on the estate that will not have any where to go after April, and they will be replaced by fashionable but sterile white cube living that will look very out of date in a few years time, and if Baxters quatre is anything to go by, scruffy in 5 years to.
On 1 Dec 2015 at 6:53pm Starfish youth music wrote:
Dixie Normus. I don't know where you get your information but
we have only ever used All Saints for concerts. Our first home was the YMCA and then Priory School music block.
If we had somewhere to go we would not be marching.
You can find out more about Starfish by clicking the link.

Check it out here »

On 1 Dec 2015 at 7:28pm Celine wrote:
What about Compass buses? Have they been relocated? Bit of a worry if not.
On 1 Dec 2015 at 7:45pm Withit wrote:
Starfish , have you tried talking to the owners ? They have new subsidised space in the development I believe and you are in last area to be developed ? Staying where you is never going to be long term . So why not stop taking temporary places do something permanant ? Talk to the owners

On 17 Dec 2015 at 10:23am Ian Freeston wrote:
Haven't been to Tunbrigde Wells in years, popped into the opera house which is now a bar
Beautiful building decor etc
And quite a few older fellows drinking already?? Don't really see that in Lewes does one!?

On 18 Dec 2015 at 11:59am Ian freeston wrote:
Would anyone have use of a sofa
Collect from Phoenix place Lewes
Good condition and foot stool as well

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Ann of Cleves 2:132
Ann of Cleves

Australia has species of trees that can only reproduce by being set alight, that must tell you something. No room for nature... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell
Brighton Jobs