Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Private Schools for Lewes Children

On 7 Sep 2015 at 12:52pm HSS wrote:
Any suggestions, together with pros and cons?
Lack of money is likely to be a major obstacle but there's no point spending anything unless there is an academically excellent school with a mini-bus pick-up from Lewes. Brighton College on paper meets these criteria but does anyone have any experience of, or heard any reports on, this and other nearby schools?
On 7 Sep 2015 at 12:59pm Slarty wrote:
Brighton College is great if you child is at least semi gifted. They throw out the "less gifted" children before GCSEs. That is one reason they have excellent results, but teaching is good too.
Alternatively, send them to Priory and get private evening tuition for classes they need help in. That'll save money and (should) still result on excellent grades.
On 7 Sep 2015 at 1:45pm observer wrote:
Brighton college is excellent apparently but I believe Hurstpierpoint College has a great reputation and caters for all children. excellent sport there and music and in such a great environment, mini bus pick up too. worth looking at.
On 7 Sep 2015 at 2:10pm bastian wrote:
have you thought about home education, otherwise there are extremely good secondary schools in Lewes that are paid for out of your taxes. If your child is bright enough they'll so fine.
On 7 Sep 2015 at 2:47pm HSS wrote:
Thanks for the help so far - I will certainly look at Hurstpierpoint and I know there are open days coming up this month for both state and private schools. Glad to hear the teaching is good at Brighton and it's not just a glossy brochure. Bastian, I'll certainly look at state schools (including Chailey) but so far I have found the primary school does very little to educate and challenge the more able (or simply typically curious) children. More information on local private schools very welcome.
On 7 Sep 2015 at 5:13pm Muttley wrote:
HSS, you will find that things change an awful lot at Secondary School. Chailey did our kids quite proud enough in terms of personal development as well as academic results (2nd just finished GCSEs with more A*s than appears healthy, really )
On 7 Sep 2015 at 7:52pm observer wrote:
State schools are fine if your child manages to find a good group who they become friends with and are motivated but if not!!! the trouble with State schools is they are too big, if a child is academic then Priory,, Chailey fine, they will go to the top group but if you want extra curricular like Sport, Music , Drama then from experience then State is rubbish, you won't get excellence and Sport is practically non existent.
On 7 Sep 2015 at 7:54pm Jane wrote:
HSS - why don't you get over yourself, if you have chosen to live in the local community then do your children a favour and send them to local state schools Priory, Ringmer or Chailey. If your child is that bright they will cope and be a better all rounded human being.
On 7 Sep 2015 at 9:25pm Nob wrote:
Bedes or Ardingly - both highly recommended.
On 8 Sep 2015 at 12:05am Up on the hill wrote:
Lancing is superb.
Look after your kids academically and personal development.
On 8 Sep 2015 at 8:39am Jennifer wrote:
A consultant introduced us to St Bede's before we moved. We liked what she showed us, and the prospects it gives, and have chosen the prep school. When everyone settles down I think we'll be contented with this choice, though there are many others, excellent too I am sure.
On 8 Sep 2015 at 8:54am Upper Dicker wrote:
Now known as Bedeland - they dropped the St. prefix after there was a R.C st Bede's in the news. Yes it's a grand school.
On 8 Sep 2015 at 1:10pm aha wrote:
Yes, we had a consultant look at everything before we moved to Lewes. Wasn't sure about the hills but apparently there's nothing that could be done there. As for schools - private ones of course. It was tricky. We wanted somewhere where: the class sizes were small; the journey to and from school very secure - and private; there must be ponies and of course an extremely bright future for the darlings. In the end we settled for home schooling in our underground garage which is going well but the pony we have brought in is prone to 'whinny'.
On 8 Sep 2015 at 4:04pm JMMM wrote:
I found Lewes Old Grammar great for KS3 and KS4, less good for KS5. I could not possibly recommend Chailey for bright kids in the state sector. Not nearly challenging enough. If I had another chance at state schools, I would definitely go for Priory. Later on BHASVIC is great for kids wanting to go to University and Haywards Heath if you want BTECs and broader options. Not sure about Sussex Downs, didn't look into it enough.
On 8 Sep 2015 at 4:58pm HSS wrote:
I see the bus for Lancing leaves Lewes at 07.20 and gets back around 7 in the evening. St Bedes, Hurst and Brighton all have a mini-bus service from Lewes but not Ardingly.
JMM thanks for your views on Chailey - the open day coming up has tours whereas Priory just seems to be a presentation. There are some STEM activities for brighter kids but in my experience so far of the local state school the kids are missing out big-time on an important education and many will be at a serious disadvantage later in life.
On 8 Sep 2015 at 11:15pm Life wrote:
Life isn't just about academic results. The private school system messes up anyone with an independent or creative brain. If you show an ounce of dissent they chuck the kids out. So if you want your children to be conformist serfs send them private. Sadly state schools are going the same way but with less money and resources and bigger class sizes. Really look at what education means to you and which school fits your child's needs best. It's not about inputting data and parroting it back for straight As. It's about leading out the best in young people . Look at the Latin meaning of the word 'education'....
On 9 Sep 2015 at 10:25am TheDesigner wrote:
'Life', the comment you make about private school "messing up anyone with an independent or creative brain" is so hilariously inaccurate, I felt obliged to respond with my own personal experience. Being in private education in Lewes all my life, I am about to start a design degree at a top arts university, joining over half the population of my classmates, already studying
BA degrees relating to art, at university. I am therefore unsure of the reasoning for you claim, but it's so hilariously incorrect.

On 10 Sep 2015 at 6:45pm Smartarse wrote:
Have experience of both state and private sectors locally, and private in London. Cannot speak highly enough of Priory, both for academic kids and for those whose strengths lie outside the classroom. Curriculum is broad and deep, the most amazing levels of thought and planning go into every aspect of school life, pastoral care is great, opportunities are manifold and the kids are happy. Kids and parents are known personally without having to be a squeaky wheel (or a problem) and despite the place's size.
Brighton/Eastbourne/Hurst/Lancing/Bede's are all very thorough in what they deliver but all are to a greater or lesser extend sausage factories. If you visit and read the literature it will be pretty clear which are better for academic types and which for all-rounders, but which suits your own individual child best is not something that people on an internet forum can tell you. As has been said, those with results in the stratosphere achieve that by doing a cull before GCSEs, which is presumably a catastrophe if it's your child who doesn't make the cut. All represent a SUBSTANTIAL financial commitment and scholarships/bursaries are unlikely to cover it. No point pretending that an elite education isn't also going to be...elitist...in flavour, so think carefully if you want your child to grow up feeling swimming is only worthwhile in an Olympic-sized pool or that cafeteria lunches only really ought to be prepared by chefs with Michelin stars. Consider also that families for whom the fees are not a struggle will generally be accomplishing that by working all the hours God sends rather than being involved in their children's lives, so ask yourself if their children are really the friends you want for yours. LOGS is cheaper and will offer bursaries to academic kids, but the teaching lets down both the classroom stars and the strugglers. Musical, artistic and sporty kids will all find better facilities and more inspiring opportunities elsewhere. The classes are small, granted, if that's all you care about. Pastoral care is a problem, as are drugs/alcohol (probably true everywhere, in fairness).
By 6th form, you should know if you have a worker or a shirker on your hands. If the former, they will do well anywhere. Look at SDC or BHASVIC to see which you/they like the feel of best and which is better for their chosen subjects. BHASVIC is more nakedly ambitious academically, but SDC's results are confounded by the fact that they have a huge non-selective intake. Bright kids do very well at both, if that's what you're looking for. Both are however places where a lazybones is likely to have the freedom to cock it all up, so if the latter then the more structured environment of a private school may be a better option.
HTH

On 11 Sep 2015 at 8:09pm Life wrote:
'The Designer'. Amazing. You really are amazing daaahlink. And you did it all yourself without a leg up from Mater and Pater. I look forward to seeing you inventive creative work after three years studying the arts at University. Do come back and tell us how it was for you. And meanwhile tell us all your favourite artists and writers and I'll check whether it's on the approved conformist list. Well done, you!

18 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Buskers in Lewes 17:132
Buskers in Lewes

Be careful what you wish for
The latest post on LP is:
Why are there so many ducks on The Pells

I think LP has taken over... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare