Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Priory Academy?

On 18 Jun 2010 at 12:34pm Down and Out wrote:
There was a brief item on BBC local news this morning saying words to the effect that, last night, Priory governors voted to 'express an interest' in becoming an academy.
More than anything, I'm hacked off because I've first heard this on TV and not through the school, as a parent. The school do send out email newsletters and notices and I've just received one which was about the current fad for NO2 abuse, but didn't mention the academy vote.
So if anyone knows about this, or knows a governor, do tell, thanks.

On 18 Jun 2010 at 2:03pm priory parent#1 wrote:
I'm sure i had an email from the school about this saying that "academy status" was the way to go and would secure better funding and grants etc and it was nailed on that Priory would become an academy especially after the glowing Ofsted report.

On 19 Jun 2010 at 7:29pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
I hope not. The Tories have got it completely wrong on academies. Why change a winning formula at the school - it has done fantastically well with the local LEA. What advantages do academy status bring to the school ? I've searched my Priory emails and not one mentions the possibility of becoming an Academy, but they don't need parental consent, just governor approval. The big criticism for Priory in its glowing 'outstanding' ofsted was poor comunication with parents. But becoming an academy they won't have to answer to ofsted anymore, just the commercial backers. Let's hope it's not some rabid religious fundamentalist group...

On 19 Jun 2010 at 10:42pm MC wrote:
Lets hope! You have to wonder if the head is in accordance with the idea. He worked for county for at least three years. I wonder how these things go if the governors decide to take a school to academy status and the head doesn't wish to?
Am I right to think that the current Priory head is considered largely responsible for the school's recent excellent Offstead reports?

On 19 Jun 2010 at 11:47pm Down and Out wrote:
MC - which head are you referring to? Martyn Ofield is (I think) leaving at the end of this term. I forget the name of the chap who is replacing him, but he must think feel like he's having the rug pulled from under him before he starts.

On 20 Jun 2010 at 11:59am Informed parent wrote:
BBC local news have got this wrong - I don't know who is supplying them with incorrect information but the governors have NOT decided to register an interest in Priory becoming an Academy. Much more information needs to be gathered and the move would only be done in the best interests of the school and its stakeholders and after consultation with parents.

On 20 Jun 2010 at 6:19pm MC wrote:
Ah yes, sorry. It is the new head that comes direct from working at ESCC.

On 20 Jun 2010 at 11:22pm Down and Out wrote:
Thank you informed parent. One of my daughters was told by a teacher that they'd decided against Academy status. It would still be nice to get something formal from the school on this.

On 21 Jun 2010 at 7:35am sashimi wrote:
Has anyone told BBC South East how different the facts are from their news story?

On 22 Jun 2010 at 8:57am Webley wrote:
There's now a clear message on the school website. Hope the BBC notice it!

On 25 Jun 2010 at 9:34am citizen of the world wrote:
Yes, Webley, there is a message ? if you know where to find it, namely under the link "school-information/news". It is from the Chair of Governors, Mr Arr-Jones. However, it not dated; there is no reference to parental consultation should it be reconsidered at some point; and a rather odd wording is used : " the Governors have decided not to 'even officially' [my quotes] express an interest at this stage" ? does he mean unofficially ? I think an email to the parents would have been, shall we say, a tad clearer... perhaps also more appropriate in the circumstances.

On 1 Jul 2010 at 11:42am Webley wrote:
You don't need to "know where to find it" - it's on the front page. I'm not a fan of academies but to give the school credit the wording sounded to me like they're trying to avoid getting swept along by registering an official interest, not that they're following a secret "unofficial" agenda. Perhaps they don't want to become a Tory statistic before they've even had a chance to consider the pros and cons!

25 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Twitten 89:132
Lewes Twitten

This is a sad and infuriating subject, as so much misinformation is pushed, and the far-right lap it up as their truth. I was... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare