Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Premier Inn: DULL. UGLY. DULL. UGLY

6
7
On 15 Jul 2013 at 1:50pm Zebedee wrote:
For all the info on this most uninspiring project see the link

Check it out here »
16
7
On 15 Jul 2013 at 2:31pm my town wrote:
This will bring jobs into the town .Which is good news .
16
3
On 15 Jul 2013 at 3:16pm stevet wrote:
I don't think its too bad. Having looked at the application on the SDNPA website, the main image on the protest page is of the rear of the building. The front elevation along Friars Walk is more sympathetically designed and certainly an improvement on the existing court building. It could possibly be tweaked to improve it further. A 63 bed hotel will provide a welcome boost though extra visitors to shops, pubs and resturants in the town.
11
7
On 15 Jul 2013 at 4:15pm xplorer1 wrote:
"This will bring jobs into the town .Which is good news" Yes it is, but a better and more sensitive design would still bring the jobs and also add to, rather than subtract from, the town's broader appeal. Which, like it or not, is in large part as a tourist destination. Make it look like Crawley and no one would want to come. And transformations like that take place one building at a time.
14
14
On 15 Jul 2013 at 5:48pm voice of britain wrote:
why dont you lot stop moaning it will be a premier inn its the yr 2013 stop living in the past this town is boring and dated this is what we want
19
3
On 15 Jul 2013 at 6:13pm Old Cynic wrote:
Yes its dull but the current court building is pretty vile - there would be outrage if we tried to build such brick monstrosity like that now. The rear is quite horrid and needs much more work doing on it. The parking issue needs to be sorted - if you are going to a hotel you expect a car park! Lets hope they make a decision fast, get it built with as little mess and fuss as possible and get staff and guests in there pronto - all spending their hard earned in our great town!
21
6
On 15 Jul 2013 at 6:48pm Jan wrote:
The extension to the jewellers on Cliffe bridge is vile, dull, and ugly but I don't remember much outrage to that. Argos is ugly, so too Laura Ashley, it's not as if Premier Inn are knocking down a building of great beauty. Lewes needs jobs and an hotel that doesn't smell of cabbage
2
6
On 15 Jul 2013 at 10:10pm Xolorer1 wrote:
Well VoB, I'm not moaning, I'm expressing my opinion and pursuing my ambition for the town. If you feel so strongly why don't you do something, like start a campaign in favour of the development, rather than moaning yourself?
15
5
On 15 Jul 2013 at 10:13pm optimistic wrote:
Looks good to me get the punters in and spending in lewes. Lewes is crying out for more competitive accommodation. Good news all round! X
3
3
On 15 Jul 2013 at 11:35pm No Pot Pourri wrote:
Maybe they just need to spend a bit of time altering the rear elevation, as nobody seems to dislike the front (much for Lewes).
5
2
On 16 Jul 2013 at 9:12am Zebedee wrote:
It amazes me the tripe that people come out with, comments determined by massive chips on shoulders and not showing any signs of thought or intelligence. It's quite depressing. Why don't people use their brains instead of making comments just to be contrary or solely to annoy others?

Just because the building it is replacing is ugly is no reason to build another ugly one!

It can be pretty and bring jobs to the town. In fact if we are talking jobs, the more ugly buildings that are built here the less tourists will want to come. As some insightful person above said... then there'll just be an ugly empty building where the (even uglier) courts used to be.
3
3
On 16 Jul 2013 at 11:48am Old Cynic wrote:
Zebedee - I think the general opinion is the front is okay, dull rather than ugly, but the rear needs more work - and anything is better than a slowly rotting court building that we currently have. Architects do not produce 'pretty' - if they do it tends to be a horrible plastic pastiche of local architecture. Do we want mock Tudor / Georgian / Victorian?
5
3
On 16 Jul 2013 at 12:08pm Merlin Milner wrote:
Given the lack of contact that residents have had with me about the application and at the non attendance at the Town Council planning meeting, it would seem that there is little interest in the application. However the public meeting was very well attended.
I am here as a Town Councillor for this ward and would like to help residents and businesses. However if I am not contacted this makes it difficult to react to local issues. Also if our meetings are not attended and the press fail to attend this also makes engagement difficult.
BTW. The town council's main objection was the lack parking. Have a look at our recent minutes on our website.

Check it out here »
8
 
On 16 Jul 2013 at 12:31pm B&B Landlady wrote:
No we don't Old Cynic: I'd prefer simple & modern. You can make local references without resorting to pastiche: the Jerwood Gallery in Hastings is a good example of that, with the references to mathematical tiles in the wall coverings (for instance).

I do think that there will be a big problem with parking though: it's completely mad to think that most guests will not arrive by car and I'm dismayed to hear that the court car park is not included in the plans. I would guess that about half of all my guests arrive by train, but the majority those from the UK bring a car. I'd expect a Premier Inn to be catering for the business traveller, and I'd bet most will expect to be able to park a car securely and without further charge.
1
3
On 16 Jul 2013 at 3:16pm Zebedee wrote:
@Old Cynic: "Architects do not produce 'pretty' - if they do it tends to be a horrible plastic pastiche of local architecture."

That is just rubbish. How can you say that? There are loads of examples of good looking modern buildings.
3
1
On 16 Jul 2013 at 4:16pm Petitepois wrote:
What an excellent idea!!! Cant wait....
2
2
On 16 Jul 2013 at 4:49pm ducatipete wrote:
Jobs for locals I think not. Most hotel workers are Eastern European and paid very little.
5
2
On 16 Jul 2013 at 4:58pm I stay in Premier inn... wrote:
Because generally they have great rates, good service and exactly what the casual visitor needs, great for business (unlike parking) and great for tourism!
3
1
On 18 Jul 2013 at 2:45pm Ms Hardy wrote:
I'm quite shocked by some of the comments on here. The support for this travesty is deppressing.

Is it out of the realm of possibility to replace an existing building with an attractive one??? Not a hideous cuboid more suited to an industrial estate. It show great insensivity to plonk that down in the centre of a lovely town like Lewes. Yes there are eysores in the area. So is it right to add another one?
You may not like the existing building but what they have in mind is by far the uglier choice unless you like the style of out of town industial estates. It belongs next to Tesco or the new Aldi because that is in keeping with its style.
And they DO NOT plan to provide additional parking!!! They plan to use the existing lot as their entrance and attached car park. Look at the plans.
They are also planning to attach a Whitbreads Pub and chain stores to the hotel Something that all experts agree is destroying the character of every town in this country. And many of you are okay with this!!!???
Shame...
 
 
On 13 Mar 2016 at 5:54pm space wrote:
my friend lives in Downs view, opposite (obviously) will they change the name to No view?


17 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Harveys Brewery Lewes 39:132
Harveys Brewery Lewes

Just save me the bother and explain how this undermines current scientific consensus on climate change. Your previous recommended... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams