Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Post office

On 20 Oct 2016 at 4:07pm Penny Black wrote:
Anyone know when the new one opens now the one on the High Street has closed?
On 20 Oct 2016 at 6:34pm Jonjo wrote:
It's open now apparently according to a postie I spowe to tonight
On 20 Oct 2016 at 8:01pm Hector wrote:
It is open - I used it this morning.
On 20 Oct 2016 at 8:38pm pat wrote:
Last day today
On 20 Oct 2016 at 8:42pm johnnyvinyl wrote:
I spoke to a shop assistant today, who said she had trailed up to the Post
Office, only to have the door closed in her face, and told, WE ARE SHUT!
A shame, I thought, as she could have claimed to be the last ever customer.
I popped into Smiths, and espied a shiny new Post Office, with three customer windows.
I wonder how that will cope, come December?
On 20 Oct 2016 at 8:51pm The Old Mayor wrote:
The old post office hardly ever had all the windows opened a time once anyway ! Maybe Amazon and EBay should sponsor the post office these days.
On 20 Oct 2016 at 9:14pm Clifford wrote:
Does this mean whenever we go in for a stamp the assistant is going to point to the outsize bars of chocolate and say, 'Do you want any offers?' and try to force a voucher for something we don't want on us?
On 20 Oct 2016 at 9:31pm Rowland Hill wrote:
Perhaps everyone who feels upset at yet another erosion of our way of life and who is rather angry that the "consultation" was nothing more than a token gesture and the whole thing was a fait accompli from the word go should "flashmob" Smiths and clog up the aisles by queuing up for a book of stamps or a "last posting dates for christmas" leaflet.
On 20 Oct 2016 at 9:37pm post wrote:
I went in today after walking up the old one and seeing the closed sign. I was surprised to find completely new staff which is a shame in some ways as I always found the people at the old office very helpful and friendly.

On 20 Oct 2016 at 11:36pm Maudie wrote:
So are the new staff fully experienced ? Must be fairly hard to recruit a new experienced team from scratch. We're the original staff too expensive after long service ?
On 21 Oct 2016 at 12:20am Letterbox wrote:
I went in the new one today and was told by the cashier that if Smiths hadn't of taken it on, we wouldn't of had a Post Office. I said surely not in a town the size of Lewes. The reply was it's just business. Obviously couldn't give a stuff.

On 21 Oct 2016 at 9:28am Hobbler wrote:
I'm delighted by the new location. I have a serious mobility difficulty and a post office in Smith's means that I can park up either in Waitrose or the NCP car park or the Harvey's Way car park or what we used to call the Magistrates Court car park, and there's an easy hobble to the Post Office - something that was never possible to the old Post Office site. These things are very important to those of us who live out of town. But, when we use the bus, the new venue is also handy for the Bus Station.
On 21 Oct 2016 at 9:28pm Local wrote:
But surely the local do-gooders who marched and put posters in their windows were correct, and you are wrong, hobbler?

On 21 Oct 2016 at 9:46pm Pedant wrote:
Glad everything has worked out fine for you Hobbler. Don't let's worry about anyone else.

On 24 Oct 2016 at 8:56pm Pete wrote:
I hope Smiths goes out of business. They deserve to.

22 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes antiquities 89 54:132
Lewes antiquities 89

Ignoring unhelpful name calling and relying on government statistics which show that the delta variant is the Indian variant... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Believe you can or believe you can't... Either way you're right
Paul