Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Poor big issue man

On 13 Nov 2010 at 11:44pm Upset wrote:
The poor big issue man outside Waitrose today was hounded by customers and staff alike for standing near the shop.
The poor man is trying to earn some money and John Lewis' fans bully him.
All but one man who stood up to the Man from Waitrose and was pushed and when he pushed back was accused of assault.
I hope you are all proud of yourselves. I for one remember the Safeway days when these people were given food and hot drinks by the staff. Now all the are given is abuse and grief.
On 14 Nov 2010 at 12:20am IBS wrote:
Tell him to go and get a proper job

On 14 Nov 2010 at 12:25am Upset wrote:
That is the sort of reaction I would expect on here.
Why is what he is doing not worthwhile?
He is working. He is selling the Big Issue you moron.

On 14 Nov 2010 at 12:45am Dave Nice wrote:
He should be arrested then jailed if the bl00dy police would bother doing their job properly. Last thing I need when I shop is a copy of the Big Issue sold by some riff raff who cerainly isn't homeless.

On 14 Nov 2010 at 9:36am Thread Bear wrote:
imprisoned, for what crime Dave? - same sort of crime as you perchance contravention of trades descriptions act? - Dave by name but certainly NOT by nature
you buy magazines INSIDE the store why not outside? - dumbass

On 14 Nov 2010 at 9:44am You're my Wife now Dave wrote:
I agree with Dave. - This anoying individual and his equally annoying femail counterpart are usually in my street hounding me everytime I go past, and, I can hear their irritating hum of "Biggg Isssuuuuue Please" "Big Issssuuuuue" all day long. These people are Sooo last century. I don't believe they are homeless.

On 14 Nov 2010 at 11:40am Clifford wrote:
I like both of them and give them something every week. They're really nice people just trying to keep going. I wonder if IBS, Dave Nice and You're My Wife now Dave were among the people complaining about the pieces in the Sunday Times?

On 14 Nov 2010 at 12:54pm jrsussex wrote:
Peolpe try to sell you things do so to get a living. In the casr of Big Issue I generally feel at least they are making an effort to improve their life. On occasions I buy it other times I do not. When I do not want to buy it I simply say "No thank you" and cannot remember ever have received an offensive response to that. I certainly have never felt annoyed or intimidated by a Big Issue seller.

On 14 Nov 2010 at 1:02pm Simon wrote:
We can measure the quality of our society by the way we treat the poorest and most vulnerable members of it.
Would anyone seriously wish to swap places with those selling the Big Issue.
I seem to remember someone stating that John Bird had disassociated himself with The Big Issue. This is not true.
I feel deeply sorry for anyone who feels threatened by a Big Issue seller and those seeking to demonise them should be ashamed of themselves.

On 14 Nov 2010 at 1:11pm Clifford wrote:
I have to disagree Simon - I don't feel sorry for these people, I despise them. Bullies who try to make themselves appear strong by attacking the weak.

On 14 Nov 2010 at 1:20pm upset wrote:
I hope the Waitrose/John Lewis employee can look at himself in the mirror. What a bully

On 14 Nov 2010 at 3:11pm Wake Up wrote:
Why do you say stupid statements like that? If you ran a business would you honestly want some t1t standing at the entrance harassing your clients?
The dfls who shop in Waitrose certainly wouldn't buy anything from a street trader who didn't have the decency to where a North Face fleece, would they?
On 14 Nov 2010 at 3:38pm You're my wife now Dave wrote:
I saw the Big Issue woman shopping in Waitrose and she had a hefty basket full of meat. I was just there to buy a news paper - I cannot afford to shop in Waitrose for food so it looks asif the "Homeless" are not so poor after all.

On 14 Nov 2010 at 3:51pm Clifford wrote:
Wake Up and You're my wife now Dave - fortunately most people in Lewes aren't like you. Every town has a minority that shames it and you must be proud to be part of that minority.

On 14 Nov 2010 at 3:54pm You're my wife now Dave wrote:
I am just stating a fact, Clifford, I cannot afford Waitrose prices.

On 14 Nov 2010 at 4:01pm Crispin wrote:
If he bought the right size in the 1st place then he wouldn't have to keep asking for a bigger shoe! Geddit?!

On 14 Nov 2010 at 5:30pm KEN wrote:
Jeeeezus, there are some 'orrible bigots around on this forum, thank God we have the likes of Clifford and (it pains me to say it) jrsussex out there to raise the flag of humanity.

On 14 Nov 2010 at 7:22pm csbs wrote:
you bunch of up yourself idiots. you should all be ashamed, youre talking as if theyre something you have trodden in. i bet the big issue sellers are worth more than any of you self obsessed snobs. dont come begging when you all need help. SCUM
On 14 Nov 2010 at 7:41pm Ross wrote:
This is typical lewes people talk. So f**king important, high and mighty up there on your horses aint ya?! I hate people like all you arrogant c**ts! These people like us all have fallen on hard times. These big issue sellers are appealing to peoples better nature, not stealing or committing any sort of crime, leave them alone! They are trying to live just like the rest of us. I really do hope that all of you who take the piss out of homeless people, have your lives turned upside down like theirs have been. Or better still, take a long walk off a short pier! W**kers!!!

On 14 Nov 2010 at 7:43pm Sosad wrote:
Racist, bigoted lewes? Never!

On 14 Nov 2010 at 7:44pm upset wrote:
Csbs. Well said. The people that sell the big issue in Brighton are as much of the make up of the high street as the shops themselves.
I am afraid that Lewes people and especially the ones that shop in Waitrose should step back and have a good look at themselves. The way this man was being treated yesterday was absolutely disgusting. One of the women was ranting about phoning the Police to have him moved on as he was invading her space. He was stood by the tree outside in the way of no one.
Then another "Scottish" woman was mouthing off about him, would she get away with this behaviour in the middle of one of the Scottish cities like Glasgow. No, she would be laughed at by all.
What gives the Waitrose sect the right to think they are a cut above everyone else. They are snobs who pay over inflated prices for the same products you can get in Tesco. Only their tweed and cordaroy would look out of place in Tesco, and they certainly could not put the Volvo or land rover near a Ford Fiesta.
Shame on all involved yesterday apart from the one man who stood his ground and backed the Big issue vendor.
I just wish I had gone into Waitrose and complained.

On 14 Nov 2010 at 7:50pm Lewes Lane wrote:
Well said Ross, it never hurt to have a little compassion for people who are less fortunate.

On 14 Nov 2010 at 8:27pm WTF wrote:
There's a lot of trolling going on on this forum recently.

On 14 Nov 2010 at 9:10pm MC wrote:
When she shops at the store my wife tells me that Waitrose do 15% discounts that makes them competitive with Tescos... and I believe her because she does not lie (although sometimes she is mistaken).

On 14 Nov 2010 at 9:53pm You my wife now, Dave wrote:
Why do u buy the Big Issue? Is it to aleviate your guilt? I do not feel any guilt, I pay my taxes - the big issue itself is not a mag I would choose to buy, be it inside or outside a store. Get rid of there riff raff - the sooner the better - do they pay tax on their earnings?

On 14 Nov 2010 at 10:19pm Deelite wrote:
I pay my taxes, I pay my taxes, I pay my taxes.

You know it's not worth reading more.

On 14 Nov 2010 at 11:02pm Clifford wrote:
You must feel like a little worm inside You're my wife now Dave, particularly when you realise what an illiterate fool you've made yourself look on here.

On 15 Nov 2010 at 12:25am The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Oh Clifford, here you go again. Defending those that think work is a four letter word, those that steal off those that pay taxes, those that play on your liberal, bleeding heart. But that's o.k. in Clifford's world. Because in Clifford's world there are no benefit fraudsters, only victims. Victims of a cruel, fascist system. Never mind that a pensioner may have to wait many months for an operation, but the work shy receive regular money for doing nothing. Vote Labour, vote for Clifford's World.

On 15 Nov 2010 at 11:35am Williamdyer wrote:
Once everyone has emptied their prams of toys, does someone fancy putting a decent description of what happened on the thread?
As far as I am aware, the Big Issue salespeople are perfectly entitled to do what they do, where they do it. I've always found the couple to be perfectly polite. They hairy old bloke who occasionally hangs out next to the cash machine at HSBC is pretty grumpy, but so what?

On 15 Nov 2010 at 2:06pm Commuter wrote:
I'm really don't understand why people are defending the verbal abuse of someone, be they a waitrose customer/ staff or a big issue seller. As I understand it Big Issue sellers have to have a licence, so they have every right to be there selling their magazine (regardless of whether you want one or not). I personally would not want to be in a Big Issue sellers position and I am sure they don't either so a little bit of respect would be nice.

On 15 Nov 2010 at 2:28pm Colonel Blimp wrote:
As many contributers to this forum will know, a large number of ex service personnel become homeless when they leave the forces, due to a range of problems they may face on leaving the forces.
So the very people that are now rightly being applauded for their bravery in Afghanistan and other fields of combat may in the next few years become homeless. Do they suddenly become workshy tax dodgers having risked their lives on the battlefield? I think not.
For more information, have a look at the interesting website
hxxp://homeless.org.uk/veterans

On 15 Nov 2010 at 2:41pm Helenium wrote:
This thread just about sums up the quality of this forum. Goodbye folks. I'm off to enjoy the real world.

On 15 Nov 2010 at 3:05pm upset wrote:
Big issue man standing by tree outside Waitrose. Man from Waitrose comes out and gets hold of Big Issue man, he manhandles him to alongside the tree.
Two Army Cadets selling poppies right in the doorway are left to block the doorway.
Man approaches Waitrose man and politely asks why he felt the need to move the big issue man by pushing him.
Waitrose man says to the man "What is your problem" Waitrose man then tries to push the man out of his way.
The man then puts his hand onto Waitrose mans shoulder (Not in a forceful way) and asks him to get the Manager.
Several members of the public (Waitrose Snobs) then gang together in abusing the man and the Big Issue seller.
Meanwhile Waitrose man who has not gone and got the manager as requested starts sahouting the odds to the man that he has assaulted him. He then wether or not true put his phone to his ear and starts speaking as though he is talking to the Police. The Man offers to talk to the Police, but Waitrose man declines the offer. This is why I think he was not talking to the Police. The man then walks off. Then the pack of woman round on the Big issue man again calling him a pest and an idiot who should get a proper life.
In all of this Waitrose should be held to account for the actions of their member of staff. Then all the females should be thoroughly ashamed with their behaviour.

On 15 Nov 2010 at 3:50pm Ed It wrote:
Knock Knock.

Who's there?

Biggish.

Biggish who?

Not today thankyou.

On 15 Nov 2010 at 4:43pm Just a point.. wrote:
Really it sums up a lot of the people that frequent Waitrose. Just snobs that think paying more for something makes it, or them, somehow superior.

On 15 Nov 2010 at 6:23pm Fed up wrote:
When I emerged from London Victoria station to head off with my children (teenagers) for a day out, I politely told a big issue man ';no thanks' so he asked my daughter. Again, on her behalf, I said 'no thanks' and by this time he was following us and then asked my younger daughter. By this time I was fed up so I said firmly 'no thankyou' and her then followed me for about 100 yards mimicking 'No thanks, no thanks....' It was only when I approached a police woman and asked her to tell him to back off that he disappeared. He was very intimmidating and un-nerving. Spoilt the start of a lovely day out. Now tell me, are big issue sellers a good thing???????

On 15 Nov 2010 at 10:26pm MC wrote:
You meet one big issue seller who's a pain and condemn all of them for his behaviour? That doesn't seem right.

On 15 Nov 2010 at 10:56pm In The Middle wrote:
This thread started with someone feeling sad that the Big Issue seller was verbally abused, which is appalling as everyone's got a right be respected. However these two (male & female counterpart) could do well to ease off their constant calling and semi-hounding in Lewes. Like another contributer, we've seen them buy fresh prawns from Waitrose while we only buy frozen when on offer in Tesco. Personally more irritating that being able to afford better quality food than me, they commute to Horsham where I work so generally Mon-Thurs I'm hounded daily by them there, and at weekends in Lewes.
How do they afford the £13+ return train fare each?? And which of those lovely towns do they reside in, or do they have a pad in Surrey Hills?

On 15 Nov 2010 at 11:52pm Dave wrote:
They are trying to make a living the best way they know how. If they can make more money in Horsham mon-thurs than they can in Lewes then on them for working that out. They are obviously trying very hard to break out of the trappings of poverty and I wholeheartedly applaud that and wish them every success and if they reward their own hard work with something they enjoy I'm not going to hold that against them whether its prawns or diamonds. they worked hard for it.

I have often ignored them and been irritated by the humming but I can see now that that is my failing not theirs. The next time I see either of them I will buy that big issue, not necessarily because I want to read it but because I want to support a couple who strive to improve their own lives rather than expect it on a plate.

On 16 Nov 2010 at 12:01am Guidofawkes wrote:
Does it really matter where they live??? They have a job and earn there money. They all have to pay upfront to buy the magazines themselves before they sell them on at a profit. I've never been hounded by a big issue seller ever and I do a lot of work in and around Brighton where there are hundreds of sellers! Give the people a break! You don't know there situation or why they ended up doing what they are doing. Typical Lewes snobs! Come back down to earth and start enjoying life instead of worrying about everybody elses situation.

On 16 Nov 2010 at 8:00am Sideways From Brighton wrote:
The Big Issue Seller does seem a fairly permanent Lewes fixture, he's been selling it for the 6 years since I moved here from Brighton. It doesn't seem to be improving his housing situation, but then again not all Big Issue sellers are actuallly "homeless"

On 16 Nov 2010 at 7:43pm MiscellAny wrote:
Hm - You my wife now, Dave: maybe you should send your wife shopping - or better still, MC's wife! Anyone who says they cannot afford Waitrose prices are just poor shoppers, not poor people. This could be a thread in itself.... And: You my wife now, Dave, you obviously have not ever bought The Big Issue - so you don't actually know what it is like, or whether you might like it or not. Maybe you should, just to find out the facts about it and about the sellers. And: i am not DFL, but from somewhere else, but have lived in Lewes more than two decades. I frequent Waitrose but I am not rich. I buy the Big issue but I am not a leftie or a green or a whole grain.... I buy it because I like its contents, articles, film reviews, music reviews, covers, John Bird's article. I also buy it because I count myself lucky not to be in the shoes of an issue seller. I respect the sellers for their work - whether I like them or not (some of them I actually like!). And I shop in Waitrose because I like what they sell. If you shop wisely, it is no more expensive than Tescos. I do save on beer, though, since I am not a pub goer! Maybe it is just a matter of getting one's priorities right! And now I am hungry and need to go and cook the food which I bought in Waitrose earlier...

On 16 Nov 2010 at 8:56pm MC wrote:
OK. Have talked to wife. She shops with Waitrose online, but only when they offer across the board 15% discount and 25% on half a case wine, which she says they do quite frequently. I am wondering where she buys the Big Issues that litter our house until I use them to light fires (always unread). I use Tescos. I only have to dodge skateboarding chav kids there.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Lewes at night 57:132
Lewes at night

Nearly half the care workers come from abroad, so I don't know what you mean by that comment. As far as going abroad is... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy