Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Poor Grammar

On 1 Jan 2017 at 7:25am Stalin wrote:
Ok, so I was properly educated at a fee-paying school so maybe I notice it more than most but why are so many posts on social media written by people with poor spelling and grammar skills? I assume that those who say UR instead of your are using old fashioned Nokia phones but that doesn't excuse the their, they're there brigade. Some groups are worse than others - any with Uckfield in the title are particularly galling!

Check it out here »
On 1 Jan 2017 at 7:46am Tojo wrote:
Ok,so I don't think that's particularly good grammar, but you have a point. Uckfield is an overflow from Croydon. And if we all spelled correctly there would be less posts to lampoon. Innit.
On 1 Jan 2017 at 8:00am Lewesian wrote:
Who cares. Life is far too short, there are people getting blown to pieces out there, children being made homeless by terrorists and all you're worried about is a bloody apostrophe in the wrong place.
I also fail to see why on earth we need to slag off other people's home towns etc. Many people can't afford to live in leafy Lewes with it's middle class, liberal lifestyle. Uckfield and other towns such as Hailsham provide decent alternatives.
On 1 Jan 2017 at 8:07am + wrote:
Has anyone noticed how everyone has begun to say "myself" and "yourself" instead of the simple "I", "you" and "me"? I hazard a guess that they have never been taught, or have never mastered, the rule that if you are DOING the verb, it is "I" and if it is being DONE TO YOU it is "me".
Examples: I went to the pictures.
The dog bit me.
Can we see an end to myself and yourself, which is incredibly pompous when used instead of I and me? Just make an effort to learn the rules.
On 1 Jan 2017 at 8:46am Lewesian wrote:
Who gives a toss?
On 1 Jan 2017 at 8:52am Grammar police wrote:
UR instead of "your are", I would ask for some of your fees back!
On 1 Jan 2017 at 9:50am Grammar Gestapo wrote:
Oh, the irony! Stalin writes a post about grammar that barely uses any punctuation, while Tojo agrees, but says "less posts" when it should read "fewer posts". I'm not religious, but Jesus was right when he said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
On 1 Jan 2017 at 10:44am Stalin wrote:
Who gives a toss? Me obviously"
Here's the latest from Uckfield:
"Hi im on the drive If anyone has seen a tabby cat with a black coller with magnet on please let me know she 11 years old and not seen her since Tuesday and hope no one has been feeding her TIA".
I think Grammar Gastapo might need to re-read my original post as it is without grammatical errors! As to the fees, the Army paid so no claim possible.
And yes, why are people using myself instead of me? I ask who Myself and Yourself are when people say it on the 'phone. Most annoying.
And my response to "Can I ask who's calling?" is "Yes". That throws 'em!
Happy New Year everyone!
On 1 Jan 2017 at 11:00am Grammar Gestapo wrote:
@Stalin - I think you should reread (no hyphen necessary) your post. There should have been at least one comma in the first sentence, after 'most'. The fact that you can't see something that's glaringly obvious suggests that you're not as perfect as you think.
On 1 Jan 2017 at 11:08am Tojo wrote:
Who this Jesus you speak of ?
On 1 Jan 2017 at 11:17am R Sole wrote:
This is all a bit anal
On 1 Jan 2017 at 12:36pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I think you mean fewer posts, Tojo, not less. Even I know that, and I was educated in Croydon.

On 1 Jan 2017 at 1:03pm Decent Citizen wrote:
I ain't bothered knew year innit.Sorry could not resist.Happy New Year all.
On 1 Jan 2017 at 3:00pm principle wrote:
Stalin. UR instead of your are ?. dont you mean you're?. go back to "your" fee paying school and get some of "your" mony back
On 1 Jan 2017 at 3:44pm We'vehadourfun wrote:
Rightly or wrongly things evolve. People like Stalin will be left behind. Mobile communication as moved things on very quickly. What narrow minded snob.
On 1 Jan 2017 at 5:05pm Grunge wrote:
Principle, why don't you read Stalin's post properly? He is saying UR is not correct. And Lewesian, "Who gives a toss?" Well, employers who are looking for someone articulate and intelligent to fill a well-paid job, just as one example. Why not try to improve yourself instead of being happy to be passed over/
On 1 Jan 2017 at 6:23pm Grandma Police wrote:
To the OP, UR is actually short for you are or you're. NOT your. Kind regards.
On 1 Jan 2017 at 6:42pm Stalin wrote:
I've see UR used for your and for you're.
On 2 Jan 2017 at 7:46am Sussex Jim wrote:
One should not get flustered over such trivial matters.

On 2 Jan 2017 at 8:38am Grunge wrote:
Keeping up standards is not a trivial matter.
On 2 Jan 2017 at 11:24am Angel wrote:
Starting a sentence with "Ok, so" is irritating and, I believe, one of those Americanisms that have crept into British English over the last couple of decades. Good grammar is all about making a sentence readable and easily understood, so it does matter. Unfortunately, 'Stalin' has been 'hoist by his own petard' and has not only been misunderstood, but has also offended a whole town.
On 2 Jan 2017 at 1:48pm of the North wrote:
T'art a bunch o' southern woozies, but tha makes me LOL

On 3 Jan 2017 at 11:09pm Willy Fittitin wrote:
I've been looking for a new car and so many ads state 'full logbook' and 'fresh MOT'. Wtf?

14 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

south street badge 107:132
south street badge

There is none so blind as will not see. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
There are no ordinary moments