Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Plumpton college pollutes the river again

On 18 Jan 2017 at 6:55pm Mutts Nutts wrote:
Latest news is they've done it again today, 18/01/17,Plumpton College of Agricultural Excellence have again allowed Cow slurry to enter into the plumpton mill stream on top of the few seatrout that have made it up to spawn and on top of the eggs that were laid in recent weeks.
On 18 Jan 2017 at 8:17pm We'vehadourfun wrote:
It because the idiot running the place is only focused on chasing 4million grants to ruin Stanmer Park. What this has to do with him no one knows. Should get his own house in order sharpish
On 18 Jan 2017 at 9:27pm The Greek wrote:
you're effing kidding?! i heard the EA did a damn good job last time and people were still catching sizeable trout and pike in the river.
On 18 Jan 2017 at 9:32pm Peter wrote:
@Mutts Nutts - what information do you have please? Is it verifiable?
On 19 Jan 2017 at 1:52am mutts nutts wrote:
direct from the EA who were on site when incident occurred
On 19 Jan 2017 at 5:49am Lewesian wrote:
@ we'vehadourfun......Plumpton college own/run the horticultural college at the top of Stanmer and also look after the old palm house. They will be restoring the nursery to a walled garden and helping out with other horticultural projects.
As for "ruin" Stanmer Park, well it can't get much worse than the sh1thole it is now.
On 19 Jan 2017 at 9:37am The Greek wrote:
Source?
On 19 Jan 2017 at 11:25am Zebedee wrote:
Un-*******-believable! The idiots at Sussex's Plumpton Agricultural College have done it again. The ninth time they have polluted the Plumpton Mill and Bevern streams in only 5 years. The College has destroyed virtually all the life in 10km of Sussex's two best streams and severely damaged the dwindling stocks of migratory sea trout.

Either the college just don't give a hoot about their local environment (*our*environment) or they are grossly incompetent. In either case Plumpton College Principal Jeremy Kerswell and their luckless farm manager must be fired and replaced with people who take responsibility for the environment seriously. In addition their dairy unit at Wales Farm has to be shut down. Time and time again they have proved they are incapable of running it .

I hope the Environment Agency throw the book at Plumpton College. This must hurt them in the only place the establishment cares about, it's wallet.
On 19 Jan 2017 at 11:37am mutts nutts wrote:
latest update is:
The EA were on site when this latest incident occurred and the pollution was contained by bunding and has been pumped out of the strem and a major incident avoided. It has been logged as a category 3 incident, which means 'no fish were killed' (not that there were any fish left to kill in that area of the stream). It is very lucky that the EA were on site to manage the situation, otherwise this would have been a lot worse.
On 19 Jan 2017 at 12:21pm Honest john wrote:
Zebedee- I believe the college currently have no farm manager. They were in the process of recruitment and have a new manager lined up to start there
On 19 Jan 2017 at 1:44pm The Greek wrote:
This has to go to the courts and people must be held responsible.
On 19 Jan 2017 at 3:42pm bastian wrote:
Plumpton college is an extremely good college - except for cows, they have a problem with cows! all other courses are pretty good - not sure about Jeremy. Half the staff have left or been pushed out in the past year, jobs doubled up for no more pay etc, the squeeze is on. The record for the stream over the years is pretty poor by any standard, if they put thier cows outside the slurry tank under the shed wouldn't fill up so fast, 1000 acres and not enough room for cows?
On 19 Jan 2017 at 3:52pm Zebedee wrote:
@Honest John
What happened to the farm manager responsible for the December 16 spill that destroyed 10km of stream? Was he fired?

@ Bastian. Plumpton College has 400 cows so the slurry builds up very fast. Most farms would pay to have the excess slurry taken away but Plumpton College appear too mean to do this so the tanks fill up, the alarms go off, a student panics and spreads the slurry over the frozen ground where it slides off into the Plumpton Mill Stream and the ammonia kills everything.... or so I hear.
On 19 Jan 2017 at 4:01pm Chainsaw wrote:
Didn't someone get their leg chopped off during a forestry course there not that long ago?
On 19 Jan 2017 at 4:10pm Tim wrote:
Why were EA conveniently on site?
Since the December spill, there have been a daily fleet of tractors and tankers conveying slurry to fields in the district.
On 19 Jan 2017 at 7:05pm Honest john wrote:
@zebedee - I'm not sure there was an active manager in place at that time. I just saw the advertisement for the role of farm manager back in November which I believe is prior to the initial incident. I believe a new manager is in place and when he/she starts I don't know. This is all I know. It is an awful incident/accident or whatever you want to label it as that has occurred. I'm not from the area so cannot even start to understand the level of devastation caused however from a countryside lover and someone who works in an area that promotes sustainability I can only offer my sympathy. However unless concrete evidence/information is known I don't think speculation or guessing about the incidents is the most constructive method. Trying to look for a positive out of a terrible negative situation one would hope that given the seriousness of the event let's hope that a proactive approach is been taken. Hopefully controls will be put in place moving forward.
On 19 Jan 2017 at 9:20pm Tom Pain wrote:
Promotes sustainability....Offer my sympathy....concrete evidence....trying to look for a positive.... Negative situation...A proactive approach... Hopefully controls will be put in place... Moving on. I've heard this stuff before and it smells like what caused the situation in the first place.
On 19 Jan 2017 at 9:35pm Honest john wrote:
@Tom Pain-it must be difficult hearing the same things over and over. I was just offering my opinion on this forum as I thought free speech was welcome. I'm just a person that would rather go on hard facts and evidence than speculate

On 20 Jan 2017 at 5:17pm Driver... wrote:
"Since the December spill, there have been a daily fleet of tractors and tankers conveying slurry to fields in the district. "
Ain't that the truth, the road is a death trap in the rain and ice. The constant street cleaning going on is no where near enough to clear the 5 tons of muck liberally spread all the way up and down the road. I won't even mention the constant road surface patching that needs to be done due to the constant heavy loads.
Still at least Plumpton saved a little not having the excess taken away (hang the fact that the cleanup bill which comes out the public purse).
On 21 Jan 2017 at 8:31am bastian wrote:
Driver! welcome to the country.

17 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Closet and Botts 28:143
Closet and Botts

Google Lewes Resignalling then select Network Rail item. Shows dates more