frame-src 'self' data:
 

Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Please Lewes make this happen - ban cars

18
9
On 18 Sep 2018 at 1:06pm If-only wrote:

'For me, this is paradise': life in the Spanish city that banned cars.
In Pontevedra, the usual soundtrack of a Spanish city has been replaced by the tweeting of birds and the chatter of humans...

Check it out here »
17
15
On 18 Sep 2018 at 1:13pm GuarsianReader wrote:
"Guardian Pick"
Progressive. Smart. Why can't the rest of the world be as forward thinking?
Haters will say that banning cars is anti-business, will kill the community etc etc
But the facts here prove the opposite.
Less cars = more people on the streets, more economic growth, healthier population, less deaths etc
17
7
On 18 Sep 2018 at 1:15pm Another One wrote:
When you see plans to pedestrianise a street in the UK they will be followed by all kinds of moaning that local businesses will suffer etc.
However this has been demonstrated not to be true. It has been demonstrated in Groningen in the Netherlands already that substantial reduction in private cars improves business in the city because…
…the city centre becomes a much more attractive place to be! People hang around more, the streets become more lively with people. While they are hanging around they buy more.
17
13
On 18 Sep 2018 at 1:21pm Goodplan wrote:
Getting rid of on-street parking is definitely a good idea. Nobody has the right to take up public road space just because it is near to where they live - or wish to go.
It also reduces road width - in the UK that is a big deal as roads are barely wide enough anyway. Getting rid of parked cars would make traffic flow freer so reducing congestion and pollution, too.
5
9
On 18 Sep 2018 at 1:56pm Just Saying wrote:
Pontevedra has 5 mains roads running to and from it and 2 ring roads, it's a lot more practical there.
Part of Lewes IS the main road, it's impractical totally impractical.
One thought does spring to mind though, how will people get shopping or to or from their car, would there be a park and ride and a 30 acre car park outside of Lewes?
9
22
On 18 Sep 2018 at 2:22pm Dixie Normus wrote:
This is a silly idea. I like the fact I can drive and stick my motor right outside the bookies down cliffe, or right outside the JHT, or up the charky, outside the station etc etc. So handy and rightly so with the road tax being paid on my Range!
7
12
On 18 Sep 2018 at 2:26pm Local tradesman wrote:
When you say "ban Cars" do you mean just cars- or vans and buses and lorries as well?
13
10
On 18 Sep 2018 at 2:41pm Marco wrote:
Pointless debate. It’ll never happen
7
17
On 18 Sep 2018 at 3:22pm twazzock wrote:
Ban commercial vehicles and the shops will have nothing to sell.
8
14
On 18 Sep 2018 at 3:26pm Nosey parker wrote:
We like on street parking. Especially where it reduces the road width to one lane. It's a traffic calming measure that actually makes money.
4
11
On 18 Sep 2018 at 4:19pm Madness wrote:
I like driving in my car, toot toot beep beep, toot toot beep beep,
It's not quite a Jaguar, toot toot beep, beep, toot toot beep beep
5
13
On 18 Sep 2018 at 5:21pm Mario wrote:
What about disabled people? Are they going to be prevented from entering the Town centre in their cars?
12
9
On 18 Sep 2018 at 5:43pm Same old tactics wrote:
Every time this issue comes up, the same tactics are used to make it seem impossible to achieve a car-free less lewes. The issue isn't black and white, there is subtly in the policy and how it handles car restrictions. But what we have now is awful traffic, vehicles having priority and selfish drivers causing traffic jams as they pop in to get a few items. The system works for no one, and trying to destroy the discussion by making these cheap pot-shots isn't going to work anymore. Let's have a lewes policy that reduces traffic 50-70% and see where we go from there.
7
2
On 18 Sep 2018 at 6:08pm D J SAIT wrote:
Genius idea, one small problem, Lewes is not a city.
7
19
On 18 Sep 2018 at 6:54pm Dean wrote:
Immediately ban the combustion engine throughout Lewes, and the solutions to all problems will grow. Disabled? That's what your family are for, or use a "bike buddy" scheme. Goods to move? Use a hand cart. If you can't manage, it's the way you live, destroying our world, that's the problem, not the rule. With oil companies going bust everywhere, easy energy and non-communal transport has barely ten years left.
6
2
On 19 Sep 2018 at 7:04am Disabled driver wrote:
@Dean. I have a doctor's appointment next week. I will heed your advice and not drive my car into town. I will get my son to take me there in his car. He can park it outside by using my blue badge, while I am in the surgery.
10
3
On 19 Sep 2018 at 9:26am pedestrian wrote:
More people could walk into town. Lewes is a compact town and it would make us healthier and reduce pollution. Similarly there is no reason why more children couldn't walk to school. It's ironic that the school run creates peaks in pollution. Change is happening Less people are doing large supermarket shops, instead spreading their shopping around. My mum well into her eighties used a whicker shopper with wheels and walked. The fact that people are spending more on eating/drinking experiences rather than durables is also changing things. I know there are exceptions where walking isn't possible. A reliable bus service, not a rank amateur often late or no show outfit, would help matters.
It's habit that needs to change. With the will to adapt and sort out a sensible scheme there is no reason why Lewes centre could not become an airy pleasant place to enjoy. Many other places around the world have managed to do this.
5
5
On 19 Sep 2018 at 9:32am Compact, yes but wrote:
Hilly - I used to walk from the bus station to Mountfield road school, no problem. Now I'm old and arthritic, hills are a nightmare. No, I don't get a Blue Badge, but I'm due a new knee early next year.
8
3
On 19 Sep 2018 at 10:42am DisabilityButAgree wrote:
I am disabled but still support cutting down cars. The centre is a nightmare of traffic which needs to be sorted out. It would make it easier for me to cross roads and move around the town.
5
5
On 19 Sep 2018 at 10:46am Rob wrote:
Well do not vote green there will fu#k up like there did in brighton
6
4
On 19 Sep 2018 at 12:27pm pedestrian wrote:
This is not a green issue. it is a civic issue. I think the way 'Green' propaganda has operated in this town has very often been completely counter productive. It has caused distrust about real problems by niche attitudes, moralising and sanctimony. It has also made little attempt to widen its largely class ridden holier than though mentality.
6
3
On 19 Sep 2018 at 3:52pm Slarty wrote:
The difference between Lewes and these other cities is that Lewes has residential areas throughout the town.
The only place in Lewes centre with no residences (Boots to Cliffe bridge) is already pedestrianised.
5
3
On 19 Sep 2018 at 9:29pm Lewes resident wrote:
Just as long as you ban cyclists too .
 
5
On 21 Sep 2018 at 8:13am demon wrote:
ban u u twxxt


13 posts left

Your response


You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms


 

Chapel Hill Lewes 20:132
Chapel Hill Lewes

Does anyone know the owner of a ginger cat on Hamsey Crescent that wears a blue/yellow or blue/grey collar? It is quite skinny... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams