Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Plane noise

On 27 Jul 2014 at 2:50pm noisy wrote:
Is it just me or has there been a sudden increase in low flying planes over Lewes in the last few weeks? Has anyone else noticed? Does anyone know why?
On 27 Jul 2014 at 3:37pm trooper wrote:
The current spell of weather created flight paths that do not happen in the normal weather that we have at this time.The airlines take advantage of the wind speeds etc to save fuel and ensure their arrival times are better than stated.As we are on the flight Path with a south west wind, ergo more aeroplanes, it will, I assure you not last.
On 27 Jul 2014 at 5:21pm lewes born and bred wrote:
All light aircraft should be BANNED during weekends and evenings. Disgusting noisy air polluters.
On 27 Jul 2014 at 5:25pm Boggles wrote:
It also depends on the amount of air traffic coming into Gatwick. Gatwick has two holding stacks, and all incoming flights to Gatwick are directed to either one or the other. If there is a queue the planes will stack at levels and as Lewes is in the middle of Gatwick's holding stacks, air traffic is bound to be noticeably increased over the outskirts of the town at times.
It is not unusual for airplanes to circle in the holds for up to 4 or 5 times before being given the OK to land. If Gatwick gets the go-ahead for the extra runway, the stacking problem will lessen.
On 27 Jul 2014 at 7:32pm NOISY wrote:
Thanks for your answers. That's interesting about the effect of the weather and also the extra runway. I just haven't noticed it being this noisy in the past so was wondering if flight paths have changed or something.
Boggles, is it right that Lewes is between the two holding stacks, rather than directly underneath one?
Of course, now I've started thinking about it, I'm listening out for them all the time - and the A27 noise suddenly sounds quite gentle in comparison.....
On 27 Jul 2014 at 9:06pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
I've noticed it too - very annoying. Boris Airport's a much better idea than expanding Gatwick.
On 27 Jul 2014 at 9:20pm Boggles wrote:
One stack is at Maynards Green (clockwise), the other is at Hurstpierpoint (anti-clockwise). I always think the planes approaching from the Hurstpierpoint stack make more noise as they have a sharper turn back into the stack. They are the ones you can hear over the Nevill side of Lewes.
There are no queues at the moment, just general holiday traffic. All good!
On 27 Jul 2014 at 9:29pm Boggles wrote:
A bitof geek-ness: there are at this moment approx 9700 plane in the air around the world right now. This figure does not include light aircraft, or some private flights.

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Bottleneck House 13:132
Bottleneck House

Always good to hear from you or see you IDM whether on the dance floor or on here. Good luck with the new project. Keep us posted. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
There are no ordinary moments
Dan