Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Phoenix

On Wed 2 Jan at 8:45pm janet street preacher wrote:
So the land is going to be sold again once a bit of demolition has been done to satisfy planning.
How long ago was it all those small creative businesses were turned out?
How much longer could that creative energy have thrived?
Where are our elected officials on this?
How can the town and district council stand by and do nothing while itís being passed from developer to developer?
On Wed 2 Jan at 11:23pm Clifford wrote:
It has always been a scam. As we approach the next financial crisis it's a game of musical chairs at Phoenix.
On Thu 3 Jan at 7:39am SHS wrote:
Agree 100% JSP. But that's how developers work, nothing new. Buy land. Get planning permission to raise it's value. Then usually - especially if the market has changed and the scheme no longer looks viable - sell it on to cover costs and make a profit. You could argue that the local council was to blame for demanding too much. (Look at high-street retailers vanishing, largely because the council asks too much in rates and makes high street access expensive for customers). Or blame national austerity policy for going too far and in the wrong places.
On Thu 3 Jan at 7:41am bored2 wrote:
Can any of the councils do anything about this or do they have to blindly apply planning law? It's all above board and a private venture right? I forget which version we're on now :/
On Thu 3 Jan at 10:40am Grumbleweed wrote:
Overseen by the people you elect. Dealings I've had with both county and district councils would indicate both are institutionally useless.
On Thu 3 Jan at 12:12pm minxorcist wrote:
It's a disgrace!
On Thu 3 Jan at 5:21pm Green Sleeves wrote:
I haven't seen "and that's a fact" on this forum for a while. I wonder if minxorcist is their new registered account, complete with a refreshing new comic catchphrase? Certainly an improvement.
On Thu 3 Jan at 5:37pm Fairmeadow wrote:
Don't I recall Maria Caulfield telling us that £10M of our public money was being provided to get this project underway?
So if the site is sold, does that not mean it will be worth £10M more to the seller?
Perhaps Maria can explain.

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Dripping Pan View 32:137
Dripping Pan View

A permanent veto over us leaving! Keep drinking that anti-eu koolaid. The backstop is bad for them too. What they want to avoid... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell