Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Petition to revoke article 50 growing fast

On Thu 21 Mar at 8:21am Dave wrote:
The petition to revoke article 50 is on fire right now

Check it out here »
On Thu 21 Mar at 9:13am Black Sleeves wrote:
Yes, the site is now broken (great conspiracy theory stuff).
On Thu 21 Mar at 2:56pm endoftheouse wrote:
Loads of ethnics from abroad signing up! No doubt they want to swap their squaler for a council house over here!
On Thu 21 Mar at 2:58pm Stephen Watson wrote:
Past the million mark now. I think the website just can't keep up with the rate of new signings, plus the people keeping pages open to watch the numbers rising.
On Thu 21 Mar at 3:41pm Fluppy wrote:
We are heading for a complete and utter disaster. We were sold a pup and this has to be stopped. I’m happy to vote again, as long as the lies stop. If people still want a Brexit, based on actual facts rather than made up nonsense then I will respect that because there is no talking to people who bury their heads in the sand.
On Thu 21 Mar at 7:10pm nancy wrote:
The largest number of people in this country that have ever voted decided we should leave. How can anyone think that we should have a second vote and the first vote should just be ignored. Is that democracy?
If there is to be a second vote then it should be on how we leave.
On Thu 21 Mar at 8:20pm Bert wrote:
Don't worry Nancy, you're absolutely right. Fluppy by name, fluppy by nature eh ? Lewes is and always has been a bubble ! It only just voted to remain 52.1% which about the national margin to leave, so can hardly boast a victory !
On Thu 21 Mar at 8:57pm Tom Pain wrote:
You're quite right Nancy. Supporting this movement is accepting the end of democracy in this country, it is repudiating the will of the people, nothing less. A government that takes two years to come up with a deal so bad obviously had no intention of leaving the EU, not that we didn't know that anyway. The ones with their heads in the sand are those who cannot see fascism sneaking in through the back door. If you reject democracy you'd better be ready for the alternative. Are you?
On Thu 21 Mar at 9:37pm janet street preacher wrote:
Still spaces on eUnity and Seahaven coaches to London on Saturday btw
On Thu 21 Mar at 11:10pm Tom Pain wrote:
Would lemmings BUY a ticket to the edge of the cliff?
On Thu 21 Mar at 11:10pm David2 wrote:
Any project that has gone this wrong should be stopped whether one supports it or not. The scope for damage is just far to great. We may still want to leave but we must stop until we are ready and do it properly and safely. Article 50 will still be available next year.
On Thu 21 Mar at 11:29pm Basil wrote:
'To an extent unparalleled in British political history, Brexit has ripped away the veneer of security that the managerial and professional classes enjoyed, throwing — in their mind at least — almost everything into question, from the U.K.’s place in the world to the future prosperity of their children. It is a threat that many find hard to cope with psychologically.
'It is also something many of them feel can be blamed on those over whom Britain’s educated professionals usually have day-to-day political, economic and social control — the working-class, provincial, poor and elderly who were over-represented among Leave voters.
'According to Corr and Stuart, this emotional response is “standard psychological stuff." To find solace and some level of security amid the disorder, Remainers are following a well-trodden path to polarized group think, dismissing their social "inferiors" who voted for Brexit as stupid, racist and easily misled.'

Check it out here »
On Thu 21 Mar at 11:35pm Tom Pain wrote:
Talking of projects that have gone wrong,do you mean the EU? There's not a single firm that will sign off their accounts. That's a fact but would that bother you?
On Fri 22 Mar at 12:35pm janet street preacher wrote:
3 million signatures now !
On Fri 22 Mar at 2:00pm endoftheouse wrote:
I don't think that they really understand what they're signing up too!
On Fri 22 Mar at 2:19pm nancy wrote:
Of course there's always the Corbyn initiative. I think it's called Surrender Plus.
On Fri 22 Mar at 3:28pm Hyena wrote:
If I was promised a romantic candlelight dinner with Greensleaves and Hamid Barr turned up I would be entitled to believe I’d been sold a pup.
On Fri 22 Mar at 5:22pm Hello wrote:
That makes it sound like your ideal dinner would be pease pudding and faggot
On Fri 22 Mar at 7:39pm Sussex Jim wrote:
@ Janet SP: 400 000 signatures now on a similar petition- to LEAVE on 29th. March with NO DEAL.
On Fri 22 Mar at 7:42pm Green Sleeves wrote:
Lol. What did I ever do to deserve this?
On Fri 22 Mar at 8:17pm janet street preacher wrote:
@Sussex Jim oooh 400,000 Golly!
On Fri 22 Mar at 11:10pm Basil wrote:
@janet street preacher 17.4 million to 16.1 million. Golly! Come back when you've got 17.5 milion signatures.
On Sat 23 Mar at 8:43am janet street preacher wrote:
Ok will do
It shouldn’t be long
On Sat 23 Mar at 8:53am Green Sleeves wrote:
All you hear from leavers is about the "17.4m" and the will of the people. It's the tyranny of the minority in the context of the country having 66m people, and their European Union rights and citizenship removed because of a cynical Tory created referendum to silence their infighting and squabbling. Guess what? It backfired, on everyone.

I'm looking forward to either this whole brexit farce being stopped before it's too late, and failing that the campaign to reverse the damage. Lies about "taking back control" and blind, stubborn patriotism do not usually make for good policy, and brexit makes no logical sense given the consequences and the way the global modern economy works.
On Sat 23 Mar at 12:12pm nancy wrote:
Reverse the damage? Which country has the highest employment? If you like to judge the way that global modern economics works then you'd better not study the EU too hard unless you are a fan of corruption and wastage.
Why not nip over to Paris this weekend and study the troops on the streets to prevent the rioting and torching of businesses.
On Sat 23 Mar at 1:52pm Sussex Jim wrote:
@Pedro/ greensleeves. Of 66M. people, take out those who cannot vote. Then those who cannot be bothered to vote. 17.4 M. voted to LEAVE. Against 15M. or so remainers. Not a massive majority: but a democratic decision that the Government have to respect. (a record turnout, by the way).
The demonstrations today by the bad loses and brainwashed will have no affect whatsoever on the outcome. We are going to LEAVE. Unfortunately not next Friday.
On Sat 23 Mar at 6:25pm Hugh Janus wrote:
The poll tax riots will look like a tea party if they go against the first vote!
On Sat 23 Mar at 7:03pm Local99 wrote:
I honestly think I will wet myself for days on end if there is a second vote that leave wins
On Sat 23 Mar at 10:59pm Green Sleeves wrote:
I'd be interested to at least see how and where another vote with all the 3 years additional knowledge would lead. If they still choose to leave then so be it. The warnings were there.

No deal was not on the original ballot, neither was Mays deal. I wonder how popular either actually are. I suspect not very.
On Sun 24 Mar at 12:11pm Tom Pain wrote:
Stop press. Remainers win second referendum by small majority. Leavers demand third referendum...... Repeat to the limit of your sanity threshold.
On Sun 24 Mar at 12:49pm Buzzard wrote:
And if the Remain camp was convicted of criminal overspending as the Leavers were, that would be fair. But an illegally conducted non-binding referendum is valueless and especially when the polls, petitiions and marches shows the public mood is now against Brexit. If the leaders of any thrid world country insisted on railroading it through under those conditions, we'de deride it as a banana republic. Which is how most of the world sees us now. Brexit is shaming our country and that is something that will take a long time to forgive, whatever the outcome.
On Mon 25 Mar at 7:27am Sussex Jim wrote:
Overspending by the leave campaign is nothing, compared to the action of the Government sending every household a booklet urging us to vote remain.
And we still voted to leave.
On Mon 25 Mar at 8:53am Ed Can Do wrote:
More people voted in the 1992 general election than in the referendum, it wasn't the biggest vote ever, that's a lie.
On Mon 25 Mar at 12:28pm David Stanley wrote:
Most leavers are guarded about openly expressing it. They know they will lose friends and be called bigots,racists etc. Because of this the remainers are convinced they have won public opinion.
On Mon 25 Mar at 4:15pm Fluppy wrote:
David Stanley that’s just not true. I have friends who voted leave, though they mostly regret it now. I would never call them racists or bigots, they actually weren’t given the full facts and this was also more of a protest vote on their part. These people are still my friends and that won’t change.
On Mon 25 Mar at 10:11pm Tom Pain wrote:
Not only that Jim, there was the massive remain propaganda on the BBC. Ed may well be right but did the voters from the other side refuse to accept it and demand another election? As for the lies, both sides were at it. Anyone knows that lies or unsubstantiated wishful thinking are the currency of the truth economy of politicians. Brexit was a Whitehall farce from the beginning. Let's hope it wakes people up to what a mendacious bunch of quislings haunt the House of parliament.
On Tue 26 Mar at 11:02am Tom Pain wrote:
Also!!!! No proof of this whatsoever but -- I've heard that there was no security on the site to prevent block voting, someone claims to have cast 30,000 and another under the names of Junker and other EU apparatchiks without detection!

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Skate Park 110:139
Skate Park

Congratulations to Lewes fc U18's winning the Isthmian South Youth league a week after winning the Sussex Youth Cup.
Good home... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine