Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

People in Lewes opposed to change.

 
 
On 4 Apr 2010 at 10:11am James wrote:
What is it with people in this town and there mass opposition to anything that would benefit the town.
Tesco have got permission to expand and there is uproar. Think of all the jobs it will create and all the extra people it will bring into Lewes. People that would of otherwise gone to Brighton to shop.
It is time people woke up and realised a town cannot and will not survive with a few specialised independent shops that generally sell stuff people in the real world do not want.
On the subject of traders in Lewes. I am all for the farmers market in the town, but it does cause total gridlock in the precinct and the stallholders do not seem to have any regard for the shops. They block doorways and make life difficult. Maybe it should be restricted to just one side of the precinct, so as people can move freely.
Further to this I was walking through the aftermath of the market yesterday, and the traders left litter and bits and pieces all over the place.
I would also like to ask the Management of Costa how much trade they lose because of the inconsiderate stall holder that sets up right in front of their shop.
Maybe the answer would be to have the Market on a sunday morning alongside the bootsale behind Waitrose? This would make more sense.







 
 
On 4 Apr 2010 at 10:47am Clifford wrote:
You're certainly earning your money from Tesco today James. Funny the only 'change' you mention is Tesco's expansion. You're going to shoot yourself in the foot if you\'re not careful.
 
 
On 4 Apr 2010 at 11:13am Emma wrote:
I totally agree with you about the Farmer's market James. It does bring trade into the town and I quite like looking on the stalls once a month, but the traders don't seem to have much regard for the padestrians. It is near on impossible getting through the town with a push chair. You can't go down the middle of the precinct and can't fit behind the stalls either.
If the Tesco expansion does not go ahead, then the town needs to come up with other solutions. Since Woolworths has gone there is no where to buy the nic-nacks that they sold, that we all thought we didn't need, but in fact do! Cheap childrens clothing, toys and games and cheap kitchenware. How about giving us a Primark or Peacocks, a Poundland or Pound Stretcher? It would never happen, why? Because they don't give the right image. The fact of the matter is that people who can afford expensive food, kitchenware and clothing are sorted with Waitrose, Steamer Trading and Monsoon ... where do us poorer people shop? Tesco!
I don't really understand what 'Clifford' means? Why would 'James' be shooting himself in the foot?
 
 
On 4 Apr 2010 at 12:15pm Amy wrote:
As much as I despise Tesco as a company, I have to agree that not all families can afford the shops in town. If you were a single parent with a large family for example there is presently no where you can go to get cheap food and clothes for them locally and it's not always easy with young families to get public transport into Brighton or Asda.
In an ideal World I would say no to expanding Supermarkets but it is not an ideal World we live in, even in Lewes, so I can not object the expansion wihtout as Emma says another soloution being found.
 
 
On 4 Apr 2010 at 4:16pm Swanny wrote:
Just walk behind the stalls next to the shops if you're in a rush. I think James is on a wind up btw.
 
 
On 4 Apr 2010 at 5:15pm i dont live in lewes... wrote:
Dearest James, As a non resident the only reason that I come to Lewes to shop is the Farmers Market which is just once a month. There are already large Tescos stores in existance that I can visit if I choose so increasing the size of Tescos in Lewes will make no difference to me.
It will save the local residents from travelling out of town though.
If as your post suggests you are concerned about possible loss of business caused by the monthly Farmers Market, I'm left wondering how you equate the permanant loss of business that will likely result from Tescos expansion.
Regarding Emma's post;I'm not sure how big a push chair that Emma has but it must be a mighty size if she struggles to push it through the precinct on a Farmers Market day.
I can see how it would be a struggle to push it outside of Bills on any day.
PhilX
 
 
On 4 Apr 2010 at 9:45pm Down and Out wrote:
You people do know, I presume, that Tesco specifically employ PR companies to seek out any local media including message boards and just flood them with sh!te?

Hullo James!

Funny how we've not seen much of you around before, innit?
 
 
On 4 Apr 2010 at 10:36pm Billy wrote:
James AKA Lambretta? And also partner of someone called Emma. Mmm, curious.
 
 
On 4 Apr 2010 at 10:41pm Does sound.... wrote:
A bit suspect now you come to mention it!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
 
On 4 Apr 2010 at 11:01pm Expat Two wrote:
No Amy its not an ideal world, its not an ideal world because the people who 'can't afford the shops in town' in fact can perfectly well afford it. What you really mean is that the less that poor folk spend on food & groceries, the better they can define themselves through their ownership of other consumer durables. The economy based society is wholly dependent on you believing that the accumulation of goods will make you happier, and thats worth the loss of green land, its worth the loss of smaller family owned businesses, its worth homogenising the character of Lewes with every other high street in the land and to some people, its worth whoring yourself to a PR firm and lying to your equals on message forums.
 
 
On 4 Apr 2010 at 11:50pm James wrote:
Aka Lambretta???? Billy you are obviously in the know. Seems as usual this forum is becoming a place to become personal !!!!
 
 
On 5 Apr 2010 at 6:45am MC wrote:
Lovely post Expat 2. One of the UKs most unattractive and least healthy characteristics the inclination of it's population to measure status by the number of trinkets owned (and displayed). The working classes being the main victims and multinational companies the main beneficiaries.
 
 
On 5 Apr 2010 at 1:14pm Amy wrote:
Thank you Expat Two, I would like to assure you that I am neither whoring myself out to a PR Firm, nor do I have shares in Tesco. I choose not to shop there, (I dislike their policies abroad and here) but I have this choice as I earn a fairly reasonable income which allows me to buy fair trade etc. I totally agree that we should encourage small independent shops and love Lewes because of this. However I do not see how buying school uniform for your children or sheets for the beds is about making one happier. Please tell me where in Lewes you can do this at a cost that would be affordable to a family surviving on benefits? Or a mother at home caring for disabled children etc. I have worked with many families that survive on nothing and your post makes me think you have never experienced what poverty is. Tesco is out of the town centre - the goods will not even be comparible with those of the lovely shops in town. I hardly think someone who wants to buy something pretty and unique in Wickle is going to think about buying something in Tesco instead. It may even keep people in town. Or perhaps you would like to open a shop that caters for all those people you obviously do not think exist in our lovely town!!
 
 
On 5 Apr 2010 at 3:13pm Off-Message wrote:
Insofar as there's substance to the comments made about the Farmers' Market, one solution would be to put the stall-holders back to back in the middle. Then pesestrians could go up one side, with the shops one side and the stalls the other, and then back down the other side, ditto.
 
 
On 5 Apr 2010 at 3:55pm Landporter wrote:
a better idea would be to have the market go over the bridge and down the other side in single file, that way, people see more of the town because let's face it, the bottom end of the Cliffe is like a ghost town. Close the road and move it along the whole cliffe.
 
 
On 5 Apr 2010 at 4:25pm ltr wrote:
Since both tesco's and Costa are part of large international chains, I am sure they can cope with the competition from an ocassional, insignificant, but much loved farmers market, in what they knew was a market town when they opened. I pressume the stallholders pay for pitch rental? I do wonder that people talk about Tescos' and the like, as if they were an essential part of life, rather than just a shop that sells stuff.
 
 
On 5 Apr 2010 at 11:13pm Plebmaster wrote:
Well said Expat 2
 
 
On 6 Apr 2010 at 8:38am Equal Ops wrote:
Interesting point raised by James... Safeway/Morrisons have a good track record of employing people with special needs. Can the same be said about Waitrose?
 
 
On 6 Apr 2010 at 9:12am Off-Message wrote:
Dunno - why don't you apply to 'em and see!
 
 
On 6 Apr 2010 at 10:58am Mr Change wrote:
James, I don't think you can call the expansion of TESCO change, it is if anything more of the same, there is uproar because this is a massive, unethical, arrogant money hungry company set on unstoppable wealth at our expense, and if you think for a second they will be ploughing the money back into our town your wrong, yes it will result in jobs, but beyond that there is nothing good about it. And ladies I don't disagree that poor people in this country don't have as much choice about where they shop compared to, lets face it the majority of Lewes, and they want to have somewhere cheap to buy clothes and food for their families, but let's be clear about what this really means, in order to get the cheap food and clothes from the likes of TESCO & Primark children and mothers in really poor countries have to work every hour that their god sends often in appalling conditions for $1 a day which will buy them enough rice to keep their kids alive, that's real poverty and by your attitudes you are fueling it!
 
 
On 6 Apr 2010 at 11:21am Get off your high horse wrote:
I think you will find these people are grateful for the work...they would starve otherwise....
 
 
On 6 Apr 2010 at 11:26am Don't Patronise Me James wrote:
For goodness sake, The old 'people don't like change' cliche, much favoured by stupid LDC Councillors who are antagonistic towards anyone who disagrees with them. There are two sorts of change. Good and Bad. People don't like what they see as bad change. So we have statutory processes to accomodate legitimate discussion and consultation. Here in LDC they decide the outcome first (however that might be!) Democracy floats off down the river to Newhaven, and instead of some disappointed people who did not want a change, we have a whole load of people angry because the benefits/disadvantages of change were never properly debated in an honest way. LDC operate an 'if you don't agree with us, you are a Luddite" policy and we are left with a load ot errors, mistakes, half measures, and an occassional rare success.
 
 
On 6 Apr 2010 at 12:31pm Sherlock wrote:
What a great moral position to take 'Get off your high horse" - be grateful for being exploited. I assume you were one of the 'Don't bring in a minimum wage because it's not fair to employers' brigade.
 
 
On 6 Apr 2010 at 3:58pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Well said, Sherlock.
GOYHH plainly hasn't realised we have a benefits system now to stop people starving when they can't find work. What a buffoon.
 
 
On 6 Apr 2010 at 6:23pm Mr Change wrote:
I totally agree Sherlock & Annette.....
Remarkable, Get off your high horse and go buy yourself a few brain cells, they are starving!!! Largely thanks to the likes of you, and by the sound of it you won't bother to change that despite the fact you live in the wealthy, free, western world and have the choice and the ability to make a difference.... I can't believe how selfish and narrow mined some people are, what a buffoon indeed.
 
 
On 7 Apr 2010 at 8:29am High Horse wrote:
Numbskulls....the people who make clothes for Primark/Tesco etc are in China etc....since when did they get benefits??????????????????????????????????????????????/
 
 
On 7 Apr 2010 at 10:02am Mr CHange wrote:
GOYHH They don't you idiot, that's the point, I guess you can't read as well as form an intelligent thought.
 
 
On 7 Apr 2010 at 11:22am Fat Legs wrote:
Mr Change...please read ACT's post above yours you moronic cretin
 
 
On 7 Apr 2010 at 2:32pm Mr Change wrote:
You people are amazing, I am of course referring to High Horse & Fat Legs, get a grip people, we were talking about poor workers in poor countries who work 16 hours+ per day for next to nothing and barely earn enough to keep their families alive, ACT was referring to the WE countries where we have a benefits system to stop people starving should they fall on hard time and are unable to work, unlike those countries I was talking about, I think that was pretty clear, so rather than divert the discussion into a personal slanging match why don't you say something useful or constructive, I thought this was supposed to be a forum for discussion not a platform for people to hurl abuse at each other. And before you mention it my comments towards GOYHH were simply through frustration of getting frankly stupid useless comments that don't help, if you don't care about other people or families or children who have to work for next to nothing in order to stay alive then that is your position, but don't try to justify it to me or anyone in the western world because you can't, and thank your lucky stars it is not you and your family, it might be one day!
 
 
On 7 Apr 2010 at 2:47pm Lavender wrote:
Calm down...everyone is entitled to their opinion...I remember watching something on TV with Jimmy (from Jimmy' farm) showing where some veg (can remember which type) was grown in Africa for UK supermarkets. These people were truly grateful to be growing crops for UK supermarkets...it gave them a steady wage. Without it they would be without jobs in the rural area they lived.
 
 
On 7 Apr 2010 at 2:53pm Lavender wrote:
I've remembered now...Jimmy'sSupermarket Secrets on the BBC......and it was about green beans grown in Kenya...without the supermarkets buying their beans their community would be in serious trouble..
 
 
On 7 Apr 2010 at 3:24pm Clifford wrote:
Lavender wrote: Calm down...everyone is entitled to their opinion...

True, but that doesn't mean every opinion is right. Opinions that aren't based on facts are prejudices.
 
 
On 7 Apr 2010 at 3:58pm Mr Change wrote:
Calm as a pond Lavender, I remember the program which you are referring to and you are of course right that many poor countries rely on trade with us and many developed countries to survive, as indeed do we, what I was getting at is that many products on the shelves of our supermarkets and independent shops are sourced from undeveloped countries all over the world, in many cases the trade agreements are fair, at least by local standards, but in many cases there not, and these are the areas where we need to have knowledge off and change our shopping habits in order to combat exploitation, simply saying ?I think you will find these people are grateful for the work...they would starve otherwise....' is something of a generalization, and this is what gets my back up, I dare say I get it wrong some of the time, but I do make an effort to understand what I should be buying from where, and supporting those organizations who fight against unfair trade and exploitation.
 
 
On 9 Apr 2010 at 6:30pm Smiler wrote:
I think it's disgusting how some people on here are using this forum as a bullying group on certain people. If you have anything to say to James/Lambretta, Emma or anyone else then atleast have the balls to say it to their face. You all seem to know who they are but hide behind silly names insult and criticize every comment they make. It's time to grow up and make this forum the fun place it used to be not the bullying site it has become.
 
 
On 9 Apr 2010 at 6:40pm Stig of the dump wrote:
Aw smiler, if the problem was so bad, i'm sure the webmaster would sort any "bullying" out
 
 
On 11 Apr 2010 at 5:30pm Smiler wrote:
Hi SOTD, i personally think that certain people get to say what they like and get away with it but if for instance James/Emma make a valid comment or voice their opinion on a topic "this thread" then they get picked on. They have made valid points on this thread and others so why the bullying ?
 
 
On 11 Apr 2010 at 9:45pm Garethlewes wrote:
People in Lewes are opposed to change and that is they fact that many on here probably own the small businesses that are in the town. This would mean that they would be opposed to these bigger companies taking their business away, but I bet any amount of money that most of them would expand their businesses if they could as they themselves would be better off. If you disagree then fine, also I am a student so have limited money and I live with my mum who is a single parent and a hell of alot of people I know that live in Lewes have the same or are worse off. If you counted what percentage of people who reside in Lewes actually shop in Tesco would be suprised. the people who have no need to shop in Tesco as they are well off are in their own little bubble of what is out there and how there are so many people in lewes that couldn't afford not to have a Tesco store. That is not to say that I think Lewes needs anymore big stores I think Tesco is enough when it expands i think we should say no more.
Anyway people on here that are opposed seem to be ignorant to the fac that some people living in the town probably get at most £15,000 a year and so have little to spend on family, someone said earlier that anyone can afford to shop in the little shops must have their head in their a**e or gets that much money they'd turn their nose up to a 15,000 bonus.
 
 
On 12 Apr 2010 at 8:10am Old cynic wrote:
I'd love to earn 15k. When you stop being a student, and join the real world, you can remove your head from your a@.se too
 
 
On 13 Apr 2010 at 11:49pm Smiler wrote:
Well said Garethlewes ;-))


This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one


 

south street badge 107:132
south street badge

It does sound a bit of a contradiction- that voting labour is voting Tory but in view of the fact that voting to leave the EU ... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like All the wide open spaces on the downs
Jojo