Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

People from out of town

On 16 Jan 2016 at 6:38am Hannah wrote:
Is there a forum for people who have moved here from elsewhere? Where you can share advice and ideas? Or is this the best place to ask for advice regarding schools, doctors and so on?
On 16 Jan 2016 at 7:30am Mark wrote:
Welcome Hannah, property here is expensive and oftentimes young people who grew up here have to move away and buy in gawdawful places like Seaford, for instance. And then, perhaps, move back when they can manage it. As a result, there's a degree of resentment about incomers and many people on this forum are rather strange in any case. Many people in Lewes are rather strange actually. But yes, on balance, it's a good place to ask.
On 16 Jan 2016 at 7:56am Hannah wrote:
Thanks, yes it's a lovely place, happy to live here! Have met some lovely people, not all strange! Thinking of starting a book club for 40-45 year old women, maybe this is not the place to advertise?
On 16 Jan 2016 at 8:23am Mr Lewes wrote:
Hi welcome . it's not about people moving here from other towns in my eyes . it's more about people that move here and want to change things . and the p.c do gooders.
On 16 Jan 2016 at 10:10am Mavis wrote:
Yes Hannah, Lewes "children" seem tied to their parents apron strings and appear frightened of venturing into the wider world. They want to buy the house next door to their parents, for the same price their parents paid 40 years prior. Dismissing inflation is rife through the world and think they have the right to join the property ladder right at the top. You'll get the picture when they comment on this !! BTW Welcome and good luck with the book club.
On 16 Jan 2016 at 10:14am Age Range wrote:
Will the women have to leave your precious book club when they hit 46 ?
On 16 Jan 2016 at 10:15am Ben wrote:
Let's not forget that for every buyer moving to Lewes there is a seller. Those sellers are often the 'born and breds'that frequent this forum whinging about unaffordable housing for 'hardworking young Lewes families'. Yet, when they come to sell their own property, they can't wait to greedily pocket as much possible from the highest bidding DFL. If anybody practised what they preached then they would sell their property directly to a young family for an affordable price. Nobody is blameless in this town for the house price bubble.
On 16 Jan 2016 at 10:28am townie wrote:
Streetlife is a good, friendly forum where you won't get moaned at for putting a comma in the wrong place

Check it out here »
On 16 Jan 2016 at 11:47am Paul Newman wrote:

Hi Hanna
Lewes is an easy place to get to know and full of great people . Walland school has been tremendous overall , it has some superb teachers and is very very open to parental involvement so that is my recommendation.
Lewes is a bit left- Liberal for me but at least its lively, politics music art, anything you want to get involved in ( yes bonfire) or sport .Here is my other recommendation . If you have boys get them down to Lewes Rugby Club. Its cheap inclusive and run by parents mostly , The minis run teams at all ages and by and large they do really well.
Lewes also has every sort of religious organisation if thatís your thing wonderful walking country and , for example ,a marvellous network of Beavers , Cubs , Scouts troops . Again all run by volunteers . Thats some of Lewes at its best , people making the community work
And Ö.
Women jogging only with the top half of their body is only one of the seasonal delkights I am currently enjoying , others include huge skies the ever changing Downs backdrop and being annoyed by the The Green Party. Heaven!
Good luck
On 16 Jan 2016 at 12:37pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
Wallands isn't as good as it used to be, as the head teacher doesn't manage the poor performance of certain teachers and several children left the school last year. It's a pity, because there are some great teachers there as well.
On 16 Jan 2016 at 12:53pm Hannah wrote:
Thanks guys, will get back if I manage to get book club going! No all ages are good, just a suggestion!
On 16 Jan 2016 at 1:07pm Book lover wrote:
Hi Hannah,
I moved to Lewes recently. Was thinking of joining a book club too, partly because I love books, and partly because I want to get to know some more people. Do you have an e-mail contact?
Good luck!
On 16 Jan 2016 at 6:27pm Paul Newman wrote:
Ha ha ..book club eh, for the uninitiated that means female boozing club. I can see Hannah is going to fit right in
On 16 Jan 2016 at 6:35pm Paul Newman wrote:
Excellent I look forward to winding her up when i am about
On 16 Jan 2016 at 7:08pm Old Book Worm wrote:
Well as soon as I hit 46 I lost my looks and lost ability to read. Hannah maybe you could extend your book club criteriia to say 52 as I'm assured my reading abilities will return then though I may not be so attractive to look at.
On 17 Jan 2016 at 9:11am Old Bat wrote:
I would have loved to have joined the advertised book club but being 53 I've obviously lost the ability to read
On 17 Jan 2016 at 10:35am Hannah wrote:
I didn't mean to offend anyone, not an ageist, just wanted to say how old I was sort of! Not a teenager or 90. Thanks for the interest and yes wine is good! I will put a note up in the library and Waterstones.
On 17 Jan 2016 at 10:55am Old Book Worm wrote:
Thanks for acknowledging your ageist message, be it undeliberate but it's an important point. You're age should be completely irrelevant when it comes to the joy of reading and integrating yourself into a new community. Society is already far too obsessed with age and looks, book clubs being the last safe haven from this madness. Believe it not you may well reach the age of 90 and love the company and opinions of your then book group who may include women in their 40s or younger even. I think what you were trying to say is I'd like to integrate into this community via a book group but ideally with people from my own age group, which is pretty shortsighted. Enjoy the richness in wealth of knowledge and experience of women from teens to 90s as ultimately we all go the same way in the end.

On 17 Jan 2016 at 7:42pm Hannah wrote:
You are right!

On 18 Jan 2016 at 12:09pm The Priest Man wrote:
Dont move it its disgusting, honestly Id rther die
On 18 Jan 2016 at 6:09pm Jester wrote:
Christ! You lot honestly, she clearly didn't mean that age range stops at 45. Perhaps that's her age bracket and was using that as a round about number. People just live to pick peanuts out of poo. Honestly Hannah, wouldn't bother with the book club, you will be over run by complete tw475.

On 19 Jan 2016 at 7:21pm Book lover wrote:
Cor bimey people, live and let live eh?

15 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Lansdown Penny 117:132
The Lansdown Penny

I tested Carfax, paid $ 40 for the report and received an incomplete report. Try Epicvin , I was given a full vin history report more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy