Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Paul Wheeler

On 17 Aug 2008 at 2:43pm Peppa wrote:
I have just heard that sadly, Paul Wheeler who was the archbishop of Commercial Square was killed yesterday, whilst cycling home from a party. This is a big loss for Lewes, he was a true Lewes character, and an extremely nice man. My condolences go to his family.

On 17 Aug 2008 at 3:02pm FA wrote:
Killed instantly whilst cycling home from the newmarket on the A27 last night
RIP
On 17 Aug 2008 at 3:42pm Mark wrote:
A sad loss I worked with him a few years ago,A real gent.
On 17 Aug 2008 at 10:10pm The whole of CSBS wrote:
This is the worst news. What on earth is going to happen to CSBS? I guess the Archbishop will have taken the society with him. God rest your soul Paul
On 17 Aug 2008 at 10:23pm fireball wrote:
Very sad news . paul was a great bonfire boy.

On 18 Aug 2008 at 6:54am CBS member wrote:
Very sad news, this will be a big loss to his family and bonfire alike. my condolenses go out to his family.

On 18 Aug 2008 at 8:13am Jon Hearn wrote:
It's hard to believe that someone so full of love and life is gone. He was a true friend.
On 18 Aug 2008 at 8:22am Taff wrote:
Very very sad news indeed.

On 18 Aug 2008 at 8:36am Fran wrote:
It's devastating news. Lewes has lost a true character, Paul was larger than life, well-known and well-liked.
So sad for his family.
On 18 Aug 2008 at 9:03am Rebecca wrote:
Lewes has lost a truly remarkable gentleman who was passionate about his family, his friends and all things Lewes. He will be missed.
I am proud to have had Paul as a friend.
Condolences to family.
On 18 Aug 2008 at 9:24am juju wrote:
R.I.P
Condolances to all family and friends, May they find the strenght to carry on in their loved ones memory and in the memory of the things he loved.

On 18 Aug 2008 at 10:00am Andy Hemsley wrote:
I am a Hastings boy but knew Paul well. He was a legend and Sussex through and through. I'll never forget his bonfire speeches railing at Johnny Frog.
Hard to beleive I will no longer bump into him at the Gardeners.
Andy

On 18 Aug 2008 at 12:09pm Merlin Milner wrote:
I am devastated. A terrible loss to Lewes.

On 18 Aug 2008 at 12:29pm Toque wrote:
How very sad. Paul will be missed down the Gardeners, and I think I can speak for all the regulars and staff.
Sussex police are calling for witnesses.
www.sussexexpress.co.uk/news/Pedestrian-killed-in-A27-accident.4400227.jp

On 18 Aug 2008 at 2:08pm Russell wrote:
A top drawer character and gentlman. A rarity and alas rarer still. Condolences to his family, friends, Commercial Square and all Lewesians who had the fortunate pleasure to have experienced Paul's larger than life personality.
On 18 Aug 2008 at 6:10pm Ben Matthews wrote:
Hi everyone,
I'm Paul's nephew and can tell you that all of your condolences are being heard and passed along to Paul's mother, Jean, and the rest of the family that he has left behind.
Paul will be sorely missed by us all but I hope we can all raise a glass to him next time we're in the Gardeners.
RIP Paul.
Ben
On 18 Aug 2008 at 7:07pm Sue Hammond wrote:
I'm Sue, Paul's eledest sister. Thankyou all so much for your kind and thoughtful comments. It is so touching for us all to know that so many care and are thinking of us. We have each other at hand in Brightgon but my request is that as many of you as possible help us to take care of Dawn at this truly terrible time for her and Sam and Joe. Keep your lovely comments, and memories of Paul, flowing.
On 18 Aug 2008 at 7:56pm Owen Shaw wrote:
Terrible news.
I just don't know what to say.
Paul was one of the nicest people anyone could ever wish to know or meet.
My thoughts and condolences go out to his family.
What awful news.

On 18 Aug 2008 at 10:50pm joe-the-bike wrote:
A terrible loss for his family and for Lewes. Paul was an honest gentleman and connoisseur of the simple and good things in life. His love of family and life were evident to all, he wore his heart on his sleeve. It's a poorer place without him. RIP.

On 19 Aug 2008 at 8:16am Mike wrote:
I heard about Paul's death on Sunday morning and I was numbed. Everyone gathered at the Lewes Arms at 3pm to raise a glass to Paul and the tears were flowing with the beer. The throng of people inside and outside the pub showed the esteem Paul was held in by CSBS and Lewes as a whole.
Paul will be missed terribly.

On 19 Aug 2008 at 8:37am WILLIE & KAREN wrote:
Please pass on our condolances to Dawn & family.& all of Commercial square B.S
Paul was a great man & always made us welcome at his house after bon council meets he will be sadly missed. RYE BONFIRE SOCIETY

On 19 Aug 2008 at 9:47am Merlin Milner wrote:
A glass or two was raised at the Gardeners last night. A lot of fond memories of Paul and his kindness. Our thoughts are with Dawn and the family.

On 19 Aug 2008 at 12:14pm keith wares wrote:
true bonfire boye, condolences to his family, will raise a glass when in the ' arms '.

On 19 Aug 2008 at 2:12pm Peter wrote:
I hugely admired Paul for his utter lack of political correctness in today's grey bureaucratic landscape. Hearing his fabulous declamations at Bonfire Prayers always lifted my spirits. Go well, great man.

On 19 Aug 2008 at 4:59pm Paul wrote:
I heard about Pauls death on Sunday morning, it took some time to sink in. I have known Paul for many years and still cant believe we wont see him around anymore. My thoughts and condolences go to all his family especially Dawn, Sam and Joe.

On 19 Aug 2008 at 8:33pm neil wrote:
i worked with Paul in 1986 at the Post Office he was a larger than life character, loved by all his 'postie' colleagues and when i frequented the Gardeners he always had time to talk of those days.
Years later when i was nursing at Victoria hospital an elderly women who was one of my patients was talking about this great gardener, a Lewes man,and by the way she described him i said
"is his name Paul?" she said yes, Paul Wheeler, i knew it! He certainly touched many peoples lives in this town and will be sorely missed by all
Rest in peace friend.
On 20 Aug 2008 at 12:26pm Maureen Meyer wrote:
A true Bonfire boy to the end, will never be forgotten. God Bless and hope you light up the sky in the next world.

On 20 Aug 2008 at 6:59pm Keva wrote:
Horrendous news.
Paul was a diamond geezer, I will miss his wit and good humour
Nulli Secundus

On 21 Aug 2008 at 11:33am Removed wrote:
Removed on the request of the poster

On 21 Aug 2008 at 11:35am Removed wrote:
Removed on the request of the poster

On 21 Aug 2008 at 5:36pm Sophie Orloff wrote:
To Paul's family. I am so very sorry about Paul's death. I think Lewes will be reeling for a long time. He was part of so many aspects of the Town and it's life. He made one feel reassured just knowing he was there; with an opinion, a cheer, a helping hand or a slap on the back. There aren't many people who are so universally valued as Paul.

On 22 Aug 2008 at 5:00pm Peter Pullan wrote:
I went to Primary and Junior school with Paul. All my condolences to all his family.
Thinking of you all at this difficult time.

On 1 Sep 2008 at 7:45pm Margaret and Jan van Dijk wrote:
We were very sad to hear about Paul. We new him from our visits to Lewes, of course including bonfire! As a fanatic cyclist myself Paul invited me to his "cycle-museum", next time we come to England. We send our sympathy to Dawn and family and friends. Margaret and Jan.

On 21 Oct 2008 at 1:11am Graham wrote:
I am really sorry to have just learned about the tragic death of Paul Wheeler. A tremendous loss for Lewes. I, like many others, I am sure, looked forward to seeing him take his punishment on the CSBS clergy platform each year, and to hearing those hilarious speeches at CSBS' Bonfire Prayers. You were a great character, and will be greatly missed. The Fifth won't seem quite the same again, but you won't be forgotten. R.I.P.

On 29 Dec 2008 at 3:10pm ashleigh wheeler wrote:
Hi evreyone I am pauls neice.It is very hard for my family at this time of year. we all miss you paul rest in peace. Ashleigh

2 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

South Downs Way 106:132
South Downs Way

Well it looks as if I can jet off soon , none of the loud mouths with nothing behind them have anything to say, all piss and wind... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine