Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Parking outside schools volume two

 
 
On 13 May 2009 at 2:47pm eric wrote:
yes i think angry dad is the resident
 
 
On 13 May 2009 at 2:59pm Angry dad wrote:
On my daughter's life it isn't
 
 
On 13 May 2009 at 3:01pm wendy wrote:
MMMMMMMMMM could well be i guess
 
1
On 13 May 2009 at 4:01pm not from around here wrote:
It seems to me that this whole thread has gone way off-course. The fact that angry dad is parking outside a school was not really the original point he was making. He was just objecting to the parking attendants inflexibility.
Angry Dad, if your daughter is 5 years old that is quite young but is the same age I started to walk to and from school. There was a crossing patrol on the only main road I had to cross and I and other friends were taught the route by our parents - who could not collect us themselves due to work.
Wendy, the job should be arranged around the kids? Hmm, not sure that is very practical, or fair on his co-workers.
 
1
On 13 May 2009 at 4:06pm JOHNNY wrote:
You wouldn't really expect much else though would you? Most of the posters on this thread slating Angry Dad are probably spivs that work at county hall that have too much time on their hands are probably afraid of saying anything against the parking scheme. All this revenue keeps them employed! So sad, I pity them I really do.
 
 
On 13 May 2009 at 5:01pm Resident wrote:
I am not Angry Dad (I am still at work now and my daughter is with her Mum), I just thought it was pathetic how you lot have to blow things up out of all proportion.
 
 
On 13 May 2009 at 5:06pm Want to be parking attendant wrote:
Tell you what angry dad you wanta be gratful the attentand just asked you to move on and did not give you a ticket coz if it had been me i would not have hesitated to give you a ticket with an attitude like you have.
 
 
On 13 May 2009 at 7:36pm Disgrace wrote:
All these mothers should be locked up or better shot and the government get a grip and introduce school buses. Or even better make these lazy high on preservative ADHD bstards walk. We used to SKI to school in MY days! That was in 6ft deep snow, not cotton wool.
 
 
On 13 May 2009 at 7:38pm Disgrace wrote:
Or these dads for that matter..
 
 
On 13 May 2009 at 7:42pm Janet Parks wrote:
SKI in 6ft deep snow... What a load of utter rot. If the snow was 6 feet thick you wouldn't have been able to open your front door. You clearly are a disgrace and a complete fool with it.
 
 
On 13 May 2009 at 8:11pm 40 something wrote:
I used to ride my space hopper to school.
Anyway, stop squabbling. Life's too short!
 
 
On 13 May 2009 at 9:12pm Decent Citizen wrote:
Imagine if there were several parents picking up their little darlings at the same time?What is the poor traffic warden to do,let them all off?/No sorry does not wash with me.You did not get a ticket I understand.Think yourself lucky, I would have booked you!In Someone elses parking bay?How cheeky is that.Grow up, teach your children to respect authority,to obay rules and lets hope they do not grow into arrogant txxxxs like you.
 
 
On 13 May 2009 at 10:40pm TDA wrote:
That's given me an idea; if they installed a ski-lift up School Hill I would walk my 4 and 2 year old boys up to St Pancras more often!

As it is I too drive my kids to school. Sorry. PS. neither of them are fat and neither am I.
 
 
On 14 May 2009 at 1:39am Disgrace wrote:
JP, you have no idea and whom am I to blame you? Obviously the front door was kept free. I'm not making it up. And as for ski lifts, sorry to spoil the convenient idea, fur at the bottom of the ski when it was time to go uphill. Just get a grip and expose them to the elements. Or are they made out of sugar? Probably yes by what they feed.
 
 
On 14 May 2009 at 7:02am Respect wrote:
Ok here is a little test for you All. This will test how arrogant people can be.
Lets say there are two schools in one road (Just make believe) one school is a special needs school and most of the children in that school do have to go to school in cars and taxis because most cannot walk and are wheelchair bound the other school is for able bodied children whom have no problems with walking or running. Your child goes to the able bodied school and you drive her/him to school every day (just pretend we know you walk to school which is good) Now out side the special needs school or just opposite it is a residents disabled parking bay the resident has paid £100 for that bay to make their life easier as they cannot walk very far how ever this bay is empty most mornings or after school. You are coming up the road and see an empty legal place to park right at the bottom of the road but decide to carry on and see if there is somewhere nearer but there is not anywhere at all apart from this empty disabled bay right outside the special needs school now what do you do? Do you think to yourself well i will only be ten mins and park there? or do you think to yourself no i will not as the resident might come home in the mean time and need the space? Or someone from the special needs school may need to park there with there blue badge. So what would you do go back down the road and see if the empty space is still there and walk up the road if it was or take the disabled parking bay?
 
 
On 14 May 2009 at 8:38am Narker wrote:
Respect - Exactly.
 
 
On 14 May 2009 at 10:13am TDA wrote:
Hi Disgrace,

Can you please explain "fur at the bottom of the ski when it was time to go uphill", I don't understand that at all.
 
 
On 14 May 2009 at 10:31am Not from Lewes wrote:
Ok so i am not from Lewes but i was so intrigued by this argument and i could see points from both sides of the argument and could not make my mind up as to what all the fuss was about that so today i decided i would take a walk down to one of our local schools to see exactly what all the fuss was. Well i have never changed my mind so quickly i actually now agree that parking attendants should target every school every day at home time and going home time. Of all the worse offenders i have ever seen break parking rules i have to say that parents taking their kids to school are the worse. It was absolute chaos down there. I nearly got knocked down three times as there was no places to cross the road and all the drivers were just to busy looking for places to park to notice that anyone was trying to cross the road. I am so surprised there are not more accidents happening. The roads were just blocked right up in some place where nobody could go either way because cars were parked on both sides of the roads where they should have been parked only on one side. There were cars parked right on the corners of the roads with their back or front ends sticking right out. There were cars parked on double yellow lines single yellow lines zig zag,s you name it they were there. They were even parked across peoples driveways and as the disabled bay was mentioned yes the was one there and yes you guessed it someone had parked in it whom had no badge showing it was not the resident as i actually saw the mother get out with her child. There were mothers getting up to three children out the cars getting buggies in and out i then thought about the post that mentioned this earlier that it might be quicker to walk than go through all that hassle and was tempted to say to them but i did not. Phew what a nightmare!!!!! I never want to experience that again so i am staying away from schools at chuck out time in the future. My conclusion is yes the traffic wardens do need to patrol outside schools every day not just once in awhile and yes we do need to try and encourage as many parents as we can to leave the cars at home and walk instead. It is madness out there with so much traffic and so so dangerous.
 
 
On 14 May 2009 at 10:35am Not from Lewes wrote:
Ok so i am not from Lewes but i was so intrigued by this argument and i could see points from both sides of the argument and could not make my mind up as to what all the fuss was about that so today i decided i would take a walk down to one of our local schools to see exactly what all the fuss was. Well i have never changed my mind so quickly i actually now agree that parking attendants should target every school every day at home time and going home time. Of all the worse offenders i have ever seen break parking rules i have to say that parents taking their kids to school are the worse. It was absolute chaos down there. I nearly got knocked down three times as there was no places to cross the road and all the drivers were just to busy looking for places to park to notice that anyone was trying to cross the road. I am so surprised there are not more accidents happening. The roads were just blocked right up in some place where nobody could go either way because cars were parked on both sides of the roads where they should have been parked only on one side. There were cars parked right on the corners of the roads with their back or front ends sticking right out. There were cars parked on double yellow lines single yellow lines zig zag,s you name it they were there. They were even parked across peoples driveways and as the disabled bay was mentioned yes the was one there and yes you guessed it someone had parked in it whom had no badge showing it was not the resident as i actually saw the mother get out with her child. There were mothers getting up to three children out the cars getting buggies in and out i then thought about the post that mentioned this earlier that it might be quicker to walk than go through all that hassle and was tempted to say to them but i did not. Phew what a nightmare!!!!! I never want to experience that again so i am staying away from schools at chuck out time in the future. My conclusion is yes the traffic wardens do need to patrol outside schools every day not just once in awhile and yes we do need to try and encourage as many parents as we can to leave the cars at home and walk instead. It is madness out there with so much traffic and so so dangerous.
 
 
On 14 May 2009 at 11:20am Frak wrote:
Anyone thought of arranging a walking bus?
 
 
On 14 May 2009 at 11:26am Resident wrote:
There does seem to be some confusion here. Quite agree that the general mayhem outside schools of parking on yellow lines, disabled bays, across driveways etc.. is ridiculous and should be sorted out. However, we are talking about someone parking in a designated parking bay, albeit without having a ticket, and that is quite different. The only offence here is not buying a ticket - plain and simple. There is no danger to anyone caused by this, and no obstuction was caused to either pavement or road users. Yes, the resident may have come home, but residents parking does not guarantee that there will be an empty space outside your house all day just in case you might want it, and it does not mean that the space is out of bounds to anyone else. The situation would not have been any different for the resident had Angry Dad bought a ticket. I quite agree that if you park without a ticket, then you take the chance that you might get caught - I think everyone accepts that. It seems to me however quite strange that by doing so you are in some way being a bad parent or inconveniencing other road users and pedestrians. Yes, it would be great if all kids walked to school, and there are a lot of people who could easily do this, but it is not always possible for many reasons. Do all of the people who are quick enough to leap in with accusations of bad parenting etc. know Angry Dads circumstances and why he has to pick his daughter up by car ?. After all, it seems he is quite prepared to make the effort and walk in the morning. As for skiing to school, what a ridiculous thing to bring up. In that case it was the easier method of travelling than walking - as is going by car in this instance.
Consider this. If you had an elderly relative to drop off at their home, and there was an empty parking space outside their house. Would you stop there and walk off to find a ticket machine before letting them out of the car, or would you just park, drop your relative off, and then drive away ? I think we all know the answer to that, and I think that would make hypoctrites of all of the 'do as I say but not as I do' brigade who have spouted off about respect and lazyness and rule breaking. A little common sense and lenience is all that is being asked for.
 
 
On 14 May 2009 at 12:13pm Not from Lewes wrote:
You are quite right in what you say Resident but as has already been pointed out this is not just a mere case of dropping of the little girl. As angry dad has admitted his self he is a school rep and there fore spends quite a bit of time in the residents parking pay this is then causing the resident a great inconvenience if they happen to come home and find that someone has parked there and not even bother to pay for the privilege when the resident has paid a lot of money. I think that is a selfish act. And so there fore the parking attendant had every right to ask him to move on. No question about it. If it was a case of stop open the door child gets out you drive away no problem but for most of the young children in question this is not possible as they are far to young to just drop of. I think what needs to be done is like America does and have a fleet of school buses that take all the kids to school and drop the right in the grounds of the school.
 
 
On 14 May 2009 at 12:16pm Not from Lewes wrote:
What a great idea frak
 
 
On 14 May 2009 at 12:57pm paige wrote:
Anyone living near a school as i do will tell you that it is never just a case of parents just dropping of their little ones. As there are so many parents driving their little ones to and from school these days they just cannot find anywhere to park so their answer to this is to turn up half an hour before going to school or after school. They then just sit in their cars for at least half and hour sometimes longer before taking the little one into school or picking them up this then takes them at least another quarter of an hour so there fore the totally time spent there can be any time from half an hour to an hour. Now given they have all that time to spare sitting around don't you think it might be quicker for them to walk or get the bus instead of taking up residents parking spaces? As for angry dad if he had come on and explained his situation in a proper manner and not been so aggressive to the poor parking attendant doing his job properly and in a kind manner just to ask him to move on rather than give him a ticket he might have not got such an aggressive reaction back on him.
 
 
On 14 May 2009 at 1:14pm oldgreyone wrote:
Exactly
 
 
On 14 May 2009 at 2:00pm Living opposite a school wrote:
I live right opposite a school and yes it is true that the parents can be sat outside in their cars for anything up to an hour. I never venture out from 8am to 9.30am and from 2.30pm to 4.00pm as it is just manic out there. Its best to stay safe indoors.
 
 
On 14 May 2009 at 3:02pm TDA wrote:
Can someone please open a school in Cliffe?
 
 
On 14 May 2009 at 3:30pm Frak wrote:
Would swimming lessons come as standard?
 
 
On 14 May 2009 at 4:58pm Lily of the Valley wrote:
Janet Parks you seem to be a very nasty and aggressive individual. Calm down.
 
 
On 14 May 2009 at 5:02pm Stagazer wrote:
JOHNNY I do not work at County Hall, and I am not afraid of saying anything against the parking scheme, I happen to support it but if there was something about it I didn't like I would say so.
The argument is not about the parking scheme (get your facts in order next time). Angry Dad is a selfish and incosiderate parker who was quite rightly moved on by the warden, and as you can see by the responses he has not got anyone behind him.
Pity me all you want, I couldn't care less. Your opinion means nothing to me.
 
 
On 14 May 2009 at 5:07pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
There seems to be a walking bus in operation on the Neville, but some people still have to drive their little darlings all the way to Wallands, a whole 500 yards if that.
NFL, you've made excellent observations!
Anyone wishing to witness school run lunacy at its worst should lurk in De Montfort Road and see what the St Pancras parents get up to. When there are no spaces, legal or otherwise, they see nothing wrong with just stopping and waiting in the middle of the road, thus blocking the way for all non-school traffic.
I live outside the zone, so have no axe to grind, but if I paid £100 pa to park in residents' bays I'd be bloody furious with non-residents cluttering them up. As it is, they sell almost double the number of permits that there are spaces, so your chances of getting one are only 50/50 at the best of times, without non-residents using them illegally.
The saddest (and most stupid thing) about Angry Dad's reaction is that he plainly met one of the few reasonable Blue Meanies who will give you a chance to move rather than ticket you. Given AD's reaction, this person is unlikely to be so easy-going next time.
 
 
On 14 May 2009 at 5:09pm Lily of the Valley wrote:
Sorry Resident you are wrong. The residents have paid to park in those spaces, and just because a bay is unoccupied for the time that he was there (I don't believe it was just 10 minutes and even he admitted he was doing other stuff) it doesn't make it right for any amount of time. The signs quite clearly say Permit Holders Only. Not exactly rocket science, is it? If you don't have a permit, DON'T park there or expect a ticket. He is frankly lucky that the warden didn't just think "stuff it," and issue him one straight away. He was asked to move, quite correctly, so get over it and move on.
 
 
On 14 May 2009 at 5:54pm ex childminder wrote:
Years ago I had a great job taking and fetching children to school. It was usually two, but on occasions more. The mothers paid me between them. I realize that one would have to be sure of who one used. Look among those mums and dads at the school gate,they knew and trusted me. Not only did it keep me fit, it also helped with the family finances.Good luck.
 
 
On 14 May 2009 at 6:20pm Want to be parking attendant wrote:
We don't have the parking scheme in our area only in the town center but i wish to god we did. I live a street away from a school but our road still gets really clogged up. I work from 7.30am and arive home at around 3.15pm you can garentee there will be a car parked right across my drive blocking my access. When i come home from a hard days work all i want to do is park my car in my own drive and get indoors and get the kettle on then put my feet up for awhile before starting the dinner. Instead of this i have to either keep driving around the block until the parent comes back with their child or stay put and totaly block the road. If only we had a nice parking attendant to move them on. Oh what heaven.
 
 
On 15 May 2009 at 12:05pm Resident wrote:
Thanks for that Lily. I did ask in a previous post whether that was the case, but nobody enlightened me. It is not the case for all residents parking, but if it did indeed say Residents Only then fair enough, but if it was residents only before 9 am and 6 pm for instance, then that puts a completely different perspective on it. I will bow to your greater knowledge on this detail however.
Cant see quite how any of this can be used as proof that anyone is the dreadful parent that he has been made out to be though - but hang on, that was because he had a job wasn't it ! Parking illegally AND having a job -
what a b@stard !!!
 
 
On 15 May 2009 at 12:14pm hector wrote:
Resident we all know you are angry dad now give up will you. You are proving to everyone against you that you are exactly what they say you are and you are now in danger of losing your few supports. End it now before you make to much of a prat of yourself.
 
 
On 15 May 2009 at 4:39pm Resident wrote:
I am sorry Hector, but I will repeat, I am not Angry Dad. You will just have to believe me on that. I am however a Dad, with a job and with a daughter who goes to school. I do my very best to be a good Dad, hence my questions about some peoples ideas of what makes a bad one. I have a job, and sometimes have to drop off or pick up my daughter by car because Her school is a long way from my house (and before anyone says anything, about sending her to a nearer school, there is a good reason for that which I am not prepared to discuss on this forum), so according to them I am a dreadful parent ??. That is the reason I am being sympathetic to Angry Dad. Not because of his ideas on parking, but that I cannot see the connection between that and his ability to be a good parent. I really cannot see what in my last post might have rattled anyones cage either. Did I say anything that made me a prat ?
 
 
On 15 May 2009 at 8:50pm Hedwig wrote:
No I think you're a reasonable guy, and I don't think anyone should start slagging off AD's parenting skills either. However he was very aggressive and nasty in his posts about the poor warden who was just doing his job, plus I guess parking outside schools is a touchy subject for many so that's probably why people are attacking him. I don't think he intended his post to backfire on him so drastically...
 
 
On 7 Jun 2009 at 8:45am Stephen Lewis wrote:
I am currently searching for issues outside schools. We live next door to a private school, everyone comes by car, and our children got to the local primary school across the main road. I recommenced my campaign to get authorities to act 15 months ago after I remonstrated with a parent who forced the children and I to walk on my neighbours lawn. Within 1 month I had te cease.... I was falsely accused of racially aggravated harassment... 15 months late I have just been found NOT guilty. I can now recommence the campaign.
I would advise all people who have a problem with parents to move the harassment to the authorities as my family and I have worried about this court case for a long time, not to mention the costs of over £3000 associated with the defence of myself.


This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one


 

Cliffe Tableau 2019 25:132
Cliffe Tableau 2019

I was as surprised as you that an anti parasitic concoction like ivermectin is so successful in treating the 'rona. The reason is... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy