Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Parking misery moves up a level

On 15 Jun 2008 at 11:53am B. Sale wrote:
This morning I wandered down to the bootsale behind Waitrose. It seemed odd that only a few cars were parked in the road leading to Waitrose carpark. Then I noticed the big yellow clamps on the wheels. Then I noticed lots of angry people stamping their feet and moaning away. Then I saw 2 vans with 'Guardian Parking Control' on the sides. Yep, this area is now a no go for parking. 120 to be declamped, cash to the van driver is fine.I was told the signs, informing you that you will be clamped, were put up Friday afternoon. It was great. TV, the Argus and a radio station were there interviewing everyone. And who is behind it all? The wonderful Mr Reece!

On 15 Jun 2008 at 12:15pm B Fair wrote:
An article about the situation has just been on Southern Couties radio midday news. The news did not mention who was behind it all; how do you know it is Mr Reece?
On 15 Jun 2008 at 1:06pm B. Sale wrote:
Norman Baker and the manager of Waitrose were there talking about him. I overheard them
On 15 Jun 2008 at 1:59pm B Fair wrote:
If thats true then Mr Reece should be ashamed of himself.

On 15 Jun 2008 at 4:41pm The Super K wrote:
There are signs up, If you park there ignoring the signs you deserve to be 120 quid lighter!

On 15 Jun 2008 at 5:08pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Is Mr Reece the same as Michael Rees (as in the infamous Rees-Elliott conglomeration)?
On 15 Jun 2008 at 6:27pm Lord Flashheart wrote:
I have just been past the area in question and it was totally deserted. Signs are visible but are located high up and, lets be honest, who notices new signs nowadays as we are bombarded with them?
How many people were clamped and how many paid the release fee?

On 15 Jun 2008 at 6:55pm B. Sale wrote:
The signs went up Friday night. I was told this by a copper on the scene. They are high up and not obvious until they are pointed out. There were at least 15 cars clamped, including a transit van owned by a regular stall holder. I heard him mutter things like 'Well if Lewes wants to treat me this way, it can stick itself up its own ****' which I agree with. The clamping situation was underhanded, unfair, unadvertised and very very wrong. This is a private firm, given a job, which they did by cheating people out of big money. If it carries on like this, Lewes will be a ghost town resembling a small Crawley. I don't want it but how can we stop it? We can't. Its a shame. Lewes up to just recently was a lovely place to live.
Super K. I think you are a pratt. If you used the same free parking area for years then suddenly you got clamped because you didnt see a poxy sign put up overnight, I don't think you would be happy to pay up.

On 15 Jun 2008 at 7:11pm anon wrote:
They probably put these signs up and were rubbing their hands together!! They knew damn well that as they were new they wouldnt be seen straight away, people who do the same things day in and out, wont notice small changes. How sad there were no warnings, just clamping without leniency. They were probably loving it!!

On 15 Jun 2008 at 7:54pm Local wrote:
Every November we have massive marches to celebrate the defence of our rights 300 years ago. And then for the rest of the year we let the layers and layers of local government ruin our town. Isn't it time we revolted?

On 15 Jun 2008 at 11:46pm Smiler wrote:
Hear Hear!

On 16 Jun 2008 at 6:17am Expat Two wrote:
That's a strategy adopted all over the country, not just in Lewes. There were moves to make signs a minimum size and height/distance from the area in question. I'm not sure if that was just for clamping operations though - either way, presumably our 'democratically elected' lawmakers were talked out of it in an NCP owned hospitality suite.
On 16 Jun 2008 at 8:46am Clamper wrote:
I think these people were parked on double yellow lines.......therefore what are they moaning about?

On 16 Jun 2008 at 9:09am Rachel wrote:
We were there clearing things out prior to a house move, as were the people near us - it wasn't as busy as usual, probably because people couldn't get there! So it'll probably sound the death knell for the regular car boot as well. Aren't there rules about how big and how high up notices are placed? If not then there ought to be. And there ought to be a legally enforcable period of grace where only warnings are handed out after a change in regulations!

On 16 Jun 2008 at 9:13am Rachel wrote:
The double yellows are on private land so the NCP couldn't enforce as part of the town deal. That's why getting out of waitrose car park was so difficult sometimes.

On 16 Jun 2008 at 9:30am Sashimi wrote:
The wheel clamp was invented in Denver Colorado and is sometimes called the Denver boot. They don't use it in Denver anymore because gunslinging motorists in the Wild West don't take kindly to seeing someone on their knees immobilising thie vehicle and a number of clampers were shot dead. It seems Guardian Parking Control are taking advantage of our more easygoing culture in the Old World. Perhaps David Davies could add this sort of piracy and blackmail to the list of infringements of liberty he's fighting his by election over. I've never voted Tory but if I lived in his constituency I work and vote for him.

On 16 Jun 2008 at 2:51pm Elvis the Gunslinger wrote:
The signs are there, if you don't notice them does that mean you should be excused from payment? If you didn't notice a give way sign and caused an accident would that be okay? the fact that they put signs up and it's private land negates the fact that some peole have been parking there a long time and feel it is a right they have aquired to use the space to park in. It is harsh but the land owner is well within his/her rights to do this. Ignorance is no defence.

On 16 Jun 2008 at 3:10pm Micheal wrote:
Let us take action by making sure that we oppose schemes by this Rees-Elliott conglomeration and make sure our local council doesnt sell any more of our land to this group.
They are obviously happy to destroy our comunity so that their
building schemes are pushed through. I am sure this is a ploy
to shut down the car boot sale and sell the land to this development company. Drive us out then take our land.

On 16 Jun 2008 at 4:38pm Sylvia wrote:
To my knowledge, the only land sold to Rees-Elliot is the wasteland next to the old library flogged off by the County. Watch this space when East Sussex County Council markets St Anne's School site, vacant for FIVE years and then County Hall, when they move to Polegate/Hailsham. That's the ruling Tories' plan!

On 16 Jun 2008 at 5:11pm Priscilla wrote:
The Argus website is interesting and this post has just been added;
Posted by: Mark Lynch, Worthing on 5:06pm today
Please email me if you dont like our companies clamping polices enquiries@guardiangu ards.co.uk otherwise get stuffed

On 16 Jun 2008 at 5:18pm Roly Mo wrote:
The area by the library is owned by LDC, not County.

On 16 Jun 2008 at 5:46pm Buddy Holly wrote:
Its not ignorance Elvis. Its a sudden change of a rule. For the last god knows how many years you could park there free. Overnight, a poxy little sign, 15 feet up, means it costs 120 to park. If you think thats right, no wonder you died a fat drugged up nobody.

On 16 Jun 2008 at 6:03pm Sylvia wrote:
Read again, I am referring to the old library in Albion St.

On 16 Jun 2008 at 6:27pm zola wrote:
Talking to my freind today who is a regular bootfarer,he said there was a news item last night on TV,and it was said aparently the sign was there for a week...? 1st post says it went up Friday afternoon.....

On 16 Jun 2008 at 7:19pm B,Sale wrote:
Zola, I asked a copper on the scene. He told me they were put up Friday night. If you can't believe a copper then.....

On 16 Jun 2008 at 7:32pm zola wrote:
I believe you B Sale...And told my friend so too.He said that someone told him that a dozen eggs at the boot fare turned out a bit more expensive than usual...He also said they were trying to clamp vans that were getting their stalls ready..

On 16 Jun 2008 at 7:41pm zola wrote:

Police talk to one of the Sunday morning bargain hunters in Lewes after 'mob rule' broke out
There was outrage at a car boot sale when clampers swooped on Sunday morning bargain hunters.
Tyres on the clamping company's van were slashed as tempers flared and police were called.
An MP tried to act as peacemaker as "mob rule" threatened to spiral out of control.
But Guardian Parking Management, which said it clamped ten cars, refused to back down and drivers, some of them pensioners, were forced to pay 120 to get their cars back.
They were targeted after parking at Eastgate Wharf, off Eastgate Street, Lewes, which became a clamping zone last Monday.
Lewes MP Norman Baker, who was browsing nearby stalls, said the row highlighted the need for greater scrutiny of the way clampers operated and the fines they charged.
Evening Argus.
Put Lewes Clamping in UK Google and see the rest of this interesting article.Too long to put on here,but it clearly states the zone was made no parking on Monday.
And Norman Baker no less was 'browsing the stalls...'
So someone is telling porkys.

On 16 Jun 2008 at 7:51pm B,Sale wrote:
That'll be Scully then. I saw him on the TV news too.

On 16 Jun 2008 at 8:05pm Sashka wrote:
Rees Elliot also own the bus station (their name is on the sold board), and a heap of sites all round Sussex. Check out their web site. The Tories plan is clearly rubbish, but sadly the Lib Dems are equally uselss when left to look after our town planning, and Labour seem to have disappeared, pressumably because their party's policies are also making things a nightmare for towns like ours.

On 16 Jun 2008 at 8:05pm council bod wrote:
that area is owned by waitrose they cant get the delivery vehicle in as so many cars parked in the way thats why there is dy lines there you cannot blame them the land belongs to them so be warned they will be out daily clamping all in sight however they cant clamp from the motor shop to the top of the rd by the bus station that is ncps department

On 16 Jun 2008 at 8:09pm Rookscarer wrote:
Rees Elliot is currently in negotiation with the council to take over the trust of the Convent Field and Dripping Pan from the council. This land was given to the people of Lewes donkeys years ago and must NOT be allowed to fall into the hands of this insane property developer to do with as he pleases. Fight rees elliot and philcox. Run them out of town.

On 16 Jun 2008 at 8:14pm sashka wrote:
This is clearly ridiculous. For the CPZ to be legal, there had top be consultation, notice in the paper etc, and the fines are based on a scale. This business with clamps has appeared from nowhere, without a period of notice, and has completely different charges.
This is not about being reasonable human beings living in a community together, it is about nasty bullies, copying the behaviour of our planning officers and NCP employees. I never park there, but I do benefit from the boot sale, as does the rest of the town. This scandal is doing nothing to encourage anyone to join a vibrant Sunday morning activity, they will just go elsewhere, and we will be left with an empty car park, and a load of rusty clamping signs.
I have had people park illegally on my front forecourt, but I don't throw chains round their car, and demand money before I let it go.

On 16 Jun 2008 at 8:14pm B,Sale wrote:
UTTER RUBBISH COUNCIL BOD
Had you been there you would have seen the manager of Waitrose. Not only did he make it clear it was nothing to do his firm, you would have heard him asking the ar**hole clampers to remove their sign from his building.
THE OWNERS OF THE ROAD ARE ELLIOTT/REES.
THEY ASKED THE AR**HOLES TO DO THE CLAMPING.

On 16 Jun 2008 at 8:22pm Rebel wrote:
I was one of the people who was clamped and paid the 120 fine.
I posted the message below on the Argus site;
"Unfortunately I was one of the unlucky ones who was clamped, (and no, I am not a pensioner).
The Argus report about "Mob Rule" is nearly as outrageous as the deceptive way the clampers went about their business.
People have parked in the car park and nearby spaces for many many years without any problem. It appears that a company called "Chevel" has purchased six units in the High Street - the purchase includes ownership of the car park (outside Laura Ashley's) and the ajoining road. I feel that it would have been fair and reasonable for the owner to publicise his intentions before employing this heavy handed approach. Perhaps placing a letter in the local paper or by distributing leaflets in the vicinity. Signs were apparently erected at 10.30pm on Friday evening and erected way above normal visual range.
Norman Baker was very sympathetic to those involved but his negotiations with the landowner were not fruitful. I shall now strive to cause "Chevel" the same amount of inconvienience."
For the sake of those reading this post please be advised that Waitrose have nothing to do with the employment of the Guardian Guards clamping service. In fact the manager of Waitrose was extremely helpful and co-operative to all. Other information that I can provide is that a fat off-duty NCP employee was gleefully boasting that he worked for NCP and that he was enjoying people being clamped in an area outside of NCP control.
One of the stallholders was clamped too.

On 16 Jun 2008 at 9:46pm Chav wrote:
FANTASTIC
A load of old godgers got clamped did they? hahahaha. It would have been funnier if they'd clamped their zimmer frames as well. Was Phil X there?
I went down that boot sale once to see what I could nick. I tell you what. That burger van should get nicked. What a state. I know my hygene standards are low but jeeesus!

On 17 Jun 2008 at 9:31am prufrock wrote:
Who are the owners of the land? I know Rees Elliot were trying to buy it so that they could move the buses there (and sell on the bus station site to M&S) but I heard British Land were not interested. This sort of behaviour suggests Rees Elliot are the owners now.

On 17 Jun 2008 at 9:49am Taff wrote:
Arent these names associated with the Dripping Pan's activities?
Could there be an agenda there too?

On 17 Jun 2008 at 10:58am Lord Landport wrote:
Just in case anyone feels the urge to laugh at wheelclampers type into you tube clamp the clampers very very funny made me laugh lot's

On 17 Jun 2008 at 7:20pm BONYAK wrote:
how the hell can poor people who shop at boot sales afford 120? If you can afford 120 you could shop at Woolworths, its very classy

On 17 Jun 2008 at 7:57pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
The private landlord is thought to be "Cheval" Properties.

On 17 Jun 2008 at 9:16pm The Super K wrote:
No B Sale You are the pratt. That road has had double yellow lines up it for YEARS, before the parking scheme came in I once got a parking ticket there. So Seeing people parking there EVERY DAY and getting away with it has possibly made me a little bitter yes.
I'm GLAD that people STUPID enough not to check NEW SIGNS in a town as bad as Lewes for parking are getting Clamped. HA HA HA HA HA HA.
Hope you got some nice second hand cr@p at the boot sale to make the experiance worth it

On 17 Jun 2008 at 11:07pm Mark Lynch wrote:
The Super Smashing Great K. I'm not trying to rub salt in etc, but did you look around where you regularly park today to make sure nothing had changed? I DOUBT IT

On 18 Jun 2008 at 8:12am Anon wrote:
The manager of Guardian Guards is called Mark Lynch.

On 18 Jun 2008 at 1:05pm Defender of the Realm wrote:
Well said Bonyak, did they clamp their caravans as well?
If you can afford 80 Lambert & Butler a day, and weigh in LBS more than your IQ then you deserve all you get, you are the scourge of society and the pimple on the towns ar*e. Move to WhiteHawk and stop lowering property prices with your Traveller ways.

On 18 Jun 2008 at 4:48pm The Super Smashing Great K wrote:
No, I don't drive into town unnecessary.
If all those people had just paid to park instead of trying a fast one.
HA HA HA HA Big up the Clampers.

On 19 Jun 2008 at 12:20pm Mateo el feo wrote:
Hi
I was clamped in Portslade after parking my car on a disused forecourt round the corner from my house (on Sat/Sun). Was later notified by a neighbour that the Guardian signs were put up a week before. I didn't notice the sign when I parked (it's placed 8-9 ft up on the wall, and it's not very big). Anyway, when I rang the beloved Guardian company they told me that the "gang" would be over to me "in 20 mins". However, after waiting for 45 mins I rang up again to see what the was causing the delay, and they informed me that their man was being delayed due to an "incident" in Lewes (From above, I now see what it was)
My question is: is the 120 fine allowed? Who regulates these people? What would happen if they make it 1,000? Who's to stop them doing this?
thanks

On 20 Jun 2008 at 5:59am expat two wrote:
Rebel, you really haven't got a grip on the market economy have you? Its a given that being curteous, polite or even reasonable are not high on the thatcherist's agenda. Getting your money, is far more important than getting your respect.

On 25 Jun 2008 at 2:28pm demon wrote:
lewes is becoming clamp center . not only ticket men we are all being squeezed of every penny we got shxty old lewes

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Cameron and Porky 18:132
Cameron and Porky

Actually, I would like to add to what I have written above. I understand your concerns about medical marijuana, especially if you... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde