Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

Parking at Lewes during Bonfire night 5th Nov

1
5
On 24 Oct 2011 at 1:11am Laura wrote:
Hello
Does anyone know where the best place to park is during the Lewes bonfire festival on 5th November?
I don't live in Sussex and I've checked out a few websites and they are not really helpful. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you
1
2
On 24 Oct 2011 at 8:12am DFL wrote:
I live on the Nevill which is 50 yards from the Borough bonfire site. If I was you Laura, I'd forget about trying to park here because on the night everything gets closed down. Probably better to arrange to travel by train, but that's pretty hectic as well from what I've heard. Better still, find a friend in Lewes and stay overnight ! We invite friends down for the proceedings and it makes life a lot easier. And before you ask, no, we don't have room for any more visitors !
3
2
On 24 Oct 2011 at 8:18am martial wrote:
Leave your car where ever it currently is. Or park and ride. There is no parking to be had in lewes, it is closed off for miles.
 
1
On 24 Oct 2011 at 8:23am Dave wrote:
The town's roads are closed from quite a distance outside the boundaries until 2am. It's not realisitic to bring a car. The existing carparks are either in use for bonfire related activities or full of residents' cars. All the town centre roads have to be cleared of onstreet parking by 2pm.
The reason websites aren't helpful is because there is no parking available on residential streets, parking is not allowed on the (closed) access roads on the edge and you can't exit the town from anywhere until the main roads are reopened.
Don't even think about coming by car, it isn't feasible.
4
1
On 24 Oct 2011 at 11:09am Rookie Rebel wrote:
I think Lower Stoneham Farm on the A26 just before Earwig Corner are offering a park and ride service again this year. That might be your best bet Laura. I certainly wouldn't try getting any closer to town to park as you won't get in. www.lewesbonfirecarpark.com I hope that helps.
1
4
On 24 Oct 2011 at 11:36am ncp wrote:
is that an official car park ! or is a small group of people (maybe the farmer . or MAYBE A FAMILY ) cashing in in true bonfire tradition , true to each other
1
8
On 24 Oct 2011 at 11:44am teacher wrote:
If it helps people out ncp then good luck to them.
 
7
On 24 Oct 2011 at 11:45am Visitor wrote:
All of the above is principally nonsense, I'm afraid.
Have visited for the 5th for over ten years, and always drive, and will do so again. Parking is tight but available in Cliffe Industrial estate, the Wallands roads (even including Bradford Road) if you're early enough, on the verge just before the tunnel (subject to the police's views that particular year), or in south Malling. Don't forget that the parking meters are also all wrapped up against rookie attack, so it's free when you find a space.
1
5
On 24 Oct 2011 at 11:57am Cliffite wrote:
My GF, who usually parks in the permit area of Harveys Way, parked her car right outside The Snowdrop last year and it wasn't until the morning of the 6th when we went to go move it back, realised it had been unlocked all night. It was perfectly fine but don't plan on repeating that again this year.
1
5
On 24 Oct 2011 at 1:16pm oh dear teacher wrote:
so wide of the mark , it doesnt help keep the crowds down does it
3
5
On 24 Oct 2011 at 2:36pm Laura wrote:
Thank you everyone for your input, it's been a great help.
1
1
On 24 Oct 2011 at 2:41pm giveitarest wrote:
Laura - There are a lot of Lewesians who would prefer that you stayed away because, as the 5th falls on a Saturday this year, the town will be packed and by and large an excess of visitors makes the occasion much less enjoyable for those of us who take part.

If you do decide to come, the roads into town are closed at about 4.45pm. If you make the mistake of parking on a marching route the best that can happen is that your car gets towed. Woe betide any fool who leaves a car in the way!

For parking out of town it depends where you're coming from. Stoneham Farm and Cliffe Industrial Estate aren't bad shouts.
 
2
On 24 Oct 2011 at 3:23pm DownfromLandport wrote:
It's true that a lot of Lewesians do not want to encourage visitors on the 5th, however one local theatre group is advertising the Lower Stoneham car park in their brochure. They even offer a shuttle bus. I'm sure the service will be 'second to none'.
 
3
On 24 Oct 2011 at 5:41pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Visitor, you may well find it a touch harder to find a spot this year as for the first time, Malling is getting closed off at the same time as the rest of the town. Also they're staying closed till midnight, making getting out if you do find a spot in Wallands or Malling, rather difficult.
 
1
On 24 Oct 2011 at 5:52pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
The road signs say closed until 2 am.
 
3
On 24 Oct 2011 at 8:41pm Enoch wrote:
The on road parking restrictions on processional routes start at 2pm when vehicles will be ticketed and at 3pm the towing will start on these routes. Local residents will be using council car parks within the town centre. Road closures on Kingston Road, Brighton Road, Church Lane, Orchard Road, Pheonix Causeway and Offham Road start at 5pm and the Nevill Road access via Offham will start at 7pm. All road closures will stay in effect until 2am on the 6th.
2
 
On 24 Oct 2011 at 8:53pm Don't do it! wrote:
Don't bother. If you have never been before - don't come this year. It will be hell. 80k extra people in a town that's so small it gets grid locked when a bus stops. Never understood why people come far and wide to watch.
2
 
On 24 Oct 2011 at 9:41pm The Super K wrote:
Laura, Make a day of it!
Get to Lewes EARLY... around lunch time, park up in one of the housing estates and take in the whole day.
It will be busy come the evening but well worth it.
Nevil Estate
Winterbourne
Malling
possibly Houndean Rise, look up the roads Highdown (nevill estate) ... Houndean Rise (Houndean), Montacute Road (Winterbourne) or Old Malling Way (Malling estate)
a few hints ... Its a weekend, it WILL be busy this year.
REMEMBER WHERE YOU PARKED!!! the amount of times Ive been stopped on my way home and asked where peoples cars are and some can only describe where they parked!!!
Dont ask the police ANYTHING... they are all shipped in and know F'all!!!
have fun.... Roads into Lewes Close at 5pm so get in EARLY!
2
1
On 24 Oct 2011 at 11:06pm Southover Queen wrote:
I'd echo what everyone else is saying. Bonfire is a fantastic experience, but I'll be steering clear of the lower parts of the High Street this year because the crowds will be unbelievable. A friend of mine nearly got crushed in the NatWest bank doorway last year - frightening. Remember the entire population of Lewes is about 16,000, so there will be maybe five times that number crammed into the town, and half of them will be blind drunk students.

Do visit, but do it on a weeknight when we'll get half the number and you'll actually be able to move and enjoy this unique event. For my part this year I'll be hanging around my friend's house at the top of the High Street so I know I've got a bolt hole when it all gets over the top!
 
 
On 24 Oct 2011 at 11:14pm Visitor wrote:
Ed - thanks for the tip re Malling. I think the 80k predictions are wildly OTT, by the way.
Oh, and Don't Do It - people visit from far and wide because Lewes Bonfire is one of the greatest experiences still available in this country. Lucky you for being so complacent about it - just don't let it die out c/o the H&S mob...
1
3
On 25 Oct 2011 at 1:29am AHMED IMADINNERJACKET wrote:
Malling is effectively closed off from 5pm as the only entrance and exit route are cut off, so dont park there unless you want to be trapped until the early hours...I could set up a tea stall in my garden selling tea and cakes at extortionate rate for the idiots that have to wait in the freezing cold though and make my fortune!!!!!
 
 
On 25 Oct 2011 at 5:35am not from around here wrote:
Laura, 'visitor' is absolutely right. I have travelled to Lewes on the 5th by train and by car. Train is terrible - don't do it! Driving on the other hand is no problem - at least I've never had a problem, and I've driven there several times on the 5th. All you have to do is park on the outskirts of Lewes and then walk 10-15 mins into town, no problem!
 
2
On 25 Oct 2011 at 10:02am Southover Queen wrote:
I'm intrigued that "visitor" knows better than everyone else, and that the predictions for numbers are "wildly over the top". I think the crowds will be huge this year and that will make the experience unpleasant for everyone. I love bonfire, but not if you can't move for drunken students and crushing crowds.
1
 
On 25 Oct 2011 at 11:08am Penguin wrote:
Nice one Super K. Encourage people from out of town to come and park in our residential estates whilst the actual residents are out at work, and then can't park when they get home! Great idea.
We should be actively discouraging people from coming. As has already been said, too many people spoils the evening for both participants and spectators. Furthermore, the more people in town, especially those having 'made a day of it' in the pub, the more likelyhood of an incident that could be pounced on by those authorities wanting the whole thing stopped.
 
2
On 25 Oct 2011 at 11:49am Visitor wrote:
Do you have some sort of problem, Southover Queen?
No-one else has questioned the facts in the simple advice that I posted for Laura's benefit in such an aggressive way; that advice is based on years of visiting Lewes by car on the 5th, not based on living in part of the town (like I presume you do from your posting name).
And I made clear that MY OPINION is that 80k of spectators is wildly over the top; I don't know that for a fact, it's just an opinion.
I'm sure the crowds will be huge this year, which is why I will stay away as in previous years when the 5th has fallen on a Saturday, but not 80k huge. The narrow streets and pavements of the town make even 15-20k seem like a crush, hence my absence this year. Penguin is right to fear an incident, so here's hoping that the Societies' usual excellent self-policing of the night continues and overcomes the (from my experience) hopeless Police imports who know little and appreciate the event even less.
 
2
On 25 Oct 2011 at 2:04pm Southover Queen wrote:
No, no kind of problem, except that I think encouraging people to attend Bonfire this year is verging on the irresponsible. I thank you for your admission that you wouldn't come on a Saturday either - and haven't done for several years. So how can you possibly know - both whether your advice to drive and try (and possibly fail) to park and whether the predictions for the size of the crowd are reasonable or not?

Even the excellent Bonfire stewards will struggle with the kinds of numbers I think we'll see - they did last year when it fell on Friday and I'm sure my friend wasn't the only one who was badly bruised by being crushed then. I think if Laura hasn't been to Bonfire before then she'd be better off coming when it falls on a weeknight. Much safer and much much more enjoyable.
2
1
On 25 Oct 2011 at 2:20pm Visitor wrote:
For the third time, I don't KNOW that 80k is OTT. IT IS JUST MY OPINION, gleaned from previous years' Police reports, word of mouth from friends in the major societies, etc. In the same way, other friends who have visited on Saturdays (admittedly now at least about 6 years ago) coupled with chatting with local residents when checking that they were OK with me parking close to their drives / gates etc, led me to give the advice to Laura that I did.
Frankly, I regret bothering now - I only visit this forum in the run up to the 5th in order to soak up a bit of the anticipation, but it's not now what it was in previous years. You 'think' certain things, I 'think' other things. Isn't that the point of these forums?
Let's all pray for pissing rain all day and night on Saturday week, as that seems to be the only way of keeping the crowds down.
 
 
On 25 Oct 2011 at 2:29pm Don't do it! wrote:
If people want to attend Lewes for Bonfire - then please don't all come on a Saturday, that's all. For us who are active society members, find the increase on the night such a problem! It can't make it a very nice experience. If you really want to come - come next year when its a Monday - that will really blow your socks off!
 
1
On 25 Oct 2011 at 2:29pm Hedley Lamarr wrote:
Fully agree with you Visitor. There are some peevish people using this site. You should read the political threads - a load of Socialist Workers (plus one lone Tory - brave man). It doesn't make one proud to live in the town - and before people tell me to move. NO!
 
2
On 25 Oct 2011 at 2:36pm Southover Queen wrote:
Good grief, Hedley. What's peevish about suggesting that encouraging people to attend Bonfire this year is not the best of ideas? Or that crowd numbers will be dangerously high? And what on earth (I'm minding my language here) has that got to do with party politics?
 
1
On 25 Oct 2011 at 3:24pm bastian wrote:
Laura..if you bring a car here where are the residents supposed to put their cars while they are parading the streets in costume..given all our houses are in the red area.
HL...MOVE!
 
 
On 25 Oct 2011 at 4:26pm Hedley Lamarr wrote:
Bastian
I said no. I feel that I am a very small voice of reason on this site. If you read some of the violent responses to relatively innocuous entries I am sure you would agree with me. I know politics is an emotive subject to some but some people would deny others free speech. Don't forget the saying attributed to Voltaire :"I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it". With the exception of a few deliberately provocative replies on this site, I would abide by the above maxim. If you disagree with someone‚??s opinion then do so in a reasoned way - that's all I am saying. Not with a stream of invective. I am not accusing you of this Bastian but there are some people on this site who‚??s only joy is to foment trouble. Lewes Forum used to be real fun and full of thought but it has degenerated in my view. Let the sniping begin!
 
1
On 25 Oct 2011 at 4:46pm bastian wrote:
I would never have a go at anyone who was reasoning in a polite manner, yet I see a great deal of sweeping comment from the tory voters, even in the words, and I quote, "it doesn't makeone proud to live in the town"...based on our differing opinions,is a little OTT.
this debate has nothing to do with politics and much to do with the overcrowding of our streets on the 5th, it being a Saturday we could do with a few less in the crowd.
2
 
On 25 Oct 2011 at 5:19pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Visitor, the parking restrictions cover a wider area this year and go on later, so not really comparable to previous years. Even on the outlying estates, it's hard to park at the best of times and all the residents' cars will be at home. No-one will be going out for the evening (other than to watch) because they won't be able to get home again till 2 am.
As for the 80k being OTT, I'm not so convinced. We've seen figures of 60k on previous weekends and it seems to get busier every year. In previous years, people have been stopped from leaving the station on arrival because the town is simply too full.
The one thing that will put a stop to bonfire is the risk of injuries because of the numbers attending. If you really want to help keep this wonderful tradition going, please don't come and encourage others to stay away too.
 
 
On 25 Oct 2011 at 7:10pm Ed Can Do wrote:
If you read the parking information leaflet that's been coming through doors, towards the end they mention that the police are going to close off pedestrian access to the town centre compeltely once it gets "full". No mention of what qualifies as full but it looks like at some point they'll be preventing entry to the town centre completely.

It didn't seem too crowded last year but then it was raining and it's always hard to tell from in the procession quite how busy it is. Last time it was on a Saturday was a nightmare though. There was a last minute chage of procession route if memory serves because of how crowded it was in the precinct.
 
 
On 25 Oct 2011 at 10:47pm Visitor wrote:
Annette - please see above. I don't visit on Saturdays. Now I realise just how much you lot don't want visitors to come, I'm not sure I will bother again, to be honest.
 
2
On 26 Oct 2011 at 12:05am IMEYOU wrote:
Face Buvvered
 
 
On 26 Oct 2011 at 1:07am visitor wrote:
Charming!
I had been warned by friends in the town about the personality disorders of some people on this forum, and indeed in Lewes in general. Seems they were right.
 
1
On 26 Oct 2011 at 8:03am tight wrote:
Visitor, It isnt a tourist attraction, how would you feel if 80000 people rocked up to your local jumble sale.
 
1
On 26 Oct 2011 at 8:57am Private Party wrote:
A better analogy might be for you to imagine that your village holds a party every year. It gets reported in the media as if it's the Notting Hill Carnival and thousands of people turn up uninvited but assuming that you are doing it all for their benefit, they don't understand what it's all about, they get drunk, they talk through the quiet bits, they walk where they are not supposed to and get aggressive when asked to get out of the way.
Imagine how you would react after a few years of this when outsiders/gatecrashers posted on your village website asking where they can park?
Ps Next year's bonfire will be on a Saturday too
2
2
On 26 Oct 2011 at 9:09am 'ere be monsters wrote:
What shall we do with him?????????????????????????
Next year it's Monday night Private Party, there is a 29th of Feb in 2012
 
 
On 26 Oct 2011 at 11:13am Southover Queen wrote:
I've just reviewed this thread. Few of the personality disorders on display at all - in fact, I'd say that Lewes residents have been remarkably restrained in their responses.

What everyone who actually knows anything at all about this has been saying is that it will be hideously overcrowded and there will be little if any parking available to out-of-towners, given that half the resident spaces are suspended. Positively advising people to come and take up those spaces was absolutely bound to provoke quite a hostile response.

Add to that the fact that by your own admission you don't actually know what you're talking about and I think we've been remarkably restrained, frankly.
 
 
On 26 Oct 2011 at 11:58am bastian wrote:
very restrained, unless you want to be on offer as an enemy of the bonfire next year.


This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one


 

Boroughs tableau 2015 12:132
Boroughs tableau 2015

Hi, I would like to add an event but the system won't let me. Please help! Maia Eden more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like tea and faerie cakes on the Castle Green
NCG