Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Parking at 06:45

On 30 Mar 2009 at 5:56pm Lopster wrote:
when is this bl00dy contract up for renewal? do we really pay to have 24 hour patrols (double-time? TRIPLE time??) just to spot if the odd bit of rubber is on a kerbstone or a bumper is overhanging the edge of a parking bay at 02:00 on a Sunday morning?
I wouldn't mind if the revenue raised by the "parking(revenue raising) scheme" went to fill local government coffers - it doesn't it lines NCP pockets - lets hope they go to the wall as part of the current credit crunch (lovely euphemism that is too)

On 30 Mar 2009 at 6:47pm juliet99 wrote:
maybe if the morons who go around blowing up parking meters hadn't done that then they wouldn't have to raise more revenue.

On 30 Mar 2009 at 6:53pm Bluewave wrote:
precisely. Most towns have a parking scheme and a lot of them are worse then Lewes so stop your moaning. Don't people have anything better to do then create another whinging thread about parking? blah blah blah yeah whatever. At the end of the day its simple; don't park illegally and you won;t get caught out.

On 30 Mar 2009 at 7:11pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
Blowing up parking meters is an understandable response to a local authority that has effectively rode roughshod over the democratic process. Most of us don't want these meters, but our views are continually ignored.

On 30 Mar 2009 at 7:24pm Bluewave wrote:
Blowing something up and risking serious injury is an "understandable response?" What planet have you just walked off then?
A lot of people might not want these meters but you don't go around putting explosives in things just because you don't agree with it. Or maybe you do, if you're a slightly dangerous individual with a 5-year old mentality (i don't like it, let's stamp my feet and have a tantrum until it gets taken away)
Sorry, you are in the minority. And sorry, Juliet99 is spot on.

On 30 Mar 2009 at 7:31pm Hedwig wrote:
I can't believe it cost them £300,000 to replace/repair the parking meters, money that was going to go into improving the scheme. Pathetic waste of money, and of course if someone gets hurt by flying shrapnel one day then it will of course be NCP's fault, not the lunatic that put the explosive in there in the first place. Dangerous idiots.

On 30 Mar 2009 at 7:35pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
They're blown up in the middle of the night. How many people have been injured so far?

On 30 Mar 2009 at 8:09pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Amazing!
The blowing-up of NCP machines is a very contentious subject. It has always seemed to me that although people condone vandalism, when it comes to the NCP machines (and regime); everyone secretly supports whoever has done this deed.
I do think that whoever has been blowing them up has been doing so in as safe a manner as possible.

On 30 Mar 2009 at 8:49pm man of the world wrote:
are you new to this town or have you been down the pub

On 30 Mar 2009 at 9:51pm Barking parking wrote:
I am glad Blue wave that you have good experiences of the scheme. You might like to think about people in Zone B. ESCC acknowledged 3 years ago that the zone didn't work, yet have done nothing to improve it. The origins of the mess lie in the flawed consultation and we are now left moving cars at wierd times, with available spaces nowhere near homes, and sometimes with nowhere to park at all. It is ridiculous, and conrary to the aims of the scheme. So please be a bit more open minded, and broad thinking in your views and a bit less 'I'm Alright Jack"

On 30 Mar 2009 at 9:54pm Isle of Lewes wrote:
Why bother with blowing up? Quick bit of superglue into the slot might work even better perhaps? A Warden wouldn't spot you 2 feet away and no one would ever know. The whole thing could be stopped by the end of the week.

On 30 Mar 2009 at 10:12pm Rooferman wrote:
Spot on Barking, i'm guessing Bluewave/Juliett99 can afford to have drives to park their cars so any flaws in the system do not apply to them?
If buying a permit does not guarantee you a space in your own road because too many have been allocated it does'nt make sense !!
EXPLAIN THAT ONE FOR STARTERS ?

On 30 Mar 2009 at 10:54pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
And please have some thought for the women who drive so they don't have to walk home late at night, and end up having to get taxis from their legally parked cars to their homes because they have to park miles away, or the tradesmen like Mr C-T who have a van full of expensive tools, materials and equipment that must be parked near their homes, and people who are on-call and need quick access to their vehicles in the event of an emergency.
What are they supposed to do when the nearest legal space is on the other side of their zone?

On 30 Mar 2009 at 11:41pm Smiler wrote:
The majority of people who live in Lewes DO NOT want this prking scheme.
I would be very interested to hear your evidence to the contrary Bluewave

On 31 Mar 2009 at 12:37am Geoff wrote:
and i will add that ESCC don't even know how many more permits they are allowing, related to the available spaces, and the implications of such an increasing imbalance, as they have no policy. they just like cashing the cheques. with all the new development in various zones, there are clear implications, and problems that have been completely ignored in planning policy, and if you take a look you will find that LDC know of the problem, but have never ursued it.

On 31 Mar 2009 at 6:29am i dont live in lewes anymore wrote:
all the time clr mathew lock rides rough shod over the views of the electorate there will be a rebel element. clrs don't have the guts to admit that they got it wrong.
if anything good has come out of it then it has shown that its not worth voting at the local elections for dishonest clrs with massive ego problems.
px

On 31 Mar 2009 at 1:44pm Its Not Rocket Science wrote:
I think in just about every thread there has been about the parking scheme, someone has asked what the problem was before we had it. I don't think that anybody has actually answered that yet. I would really like to know what it has solved and how the town has benefited from its existance. It seems to me that it has only served to annoy and inconvenience the towns residents, keep outside visitors and shoppers away, and make residential streets a jumble of randomly painted parking bays. There are some voices on here that seem to support the scheme - perhaps they can enlighten me on its benefits ?

On 31 Mar 2009 at 1:53pm Roly Mo wrote:
It employs people who would otherwise be unemployable?

On 31 Mar 2009 at 3:12pm Its Not Rocket Science wrote:
Thanks Roly Mo, thats the only thing I could think of too !

On 31 Mar 2009 at 3:26pm Mystic Mog wrote:
Rocket. When the consultants met with the County and District council to discuss their finding prior to the scheme, they said:"Lewes does not have a parking problem; it has an enforcement problem". They were referruing to the part-time warden(s) we had when the Police ran it. All we needed were full time wardens working for the County CC and to have kept the the profitable LDC off-street scheme. The whole problem was caused by the Police running down the system down, Labour moving parking away from the Police, ESCC pushing for a scheme and Lewes not voting against it (there was a questionaire sent out in 2000 which was only completed by 10% of the population).

On 31 Mar 2009 at 5:44pm Bluewave wrote:
riight...and so that means nobody could purchase a pay and display ticket and would be fined..how does that work exactly??

On 31 Mar 2009 at 5:45pm Bluewave wrote:
Just because something is blown up in the middle of the night doesn't mean that there's no risk of someone getting badly injured.

On 31 Mar 2009 at 5:50pm Bluewave wrote:
FYI morons I do live in Zone B and pay for a yearly permit, and I am not stupid or childish enough to assume that this will "guarantee" me a space every time like a lot of whingers that live in Lewes. Its a flawed scheme, most other things in this world. Deal with it. I am also mature enough to recognize that if you don't happen to agree with something, you don't go around putting explosives in it. I and everyone else I have spoken to on the subject thinks it is a shocking and dangerous thing to do and it is pathetic how people on here try to justify it. Just goes to show what a load of idiots live in Lewes. Disgusting.

On 31 Mar 2009 at 5:56pm Bluewave wrote:
and Smiler, when exactly did I say that the majority of people in Lewes want the parking scheme? Get your facts right.

On 31 Mar 2009 at 5:57pm Oh hush wrote:
Blue wave are you taking the p**** or can you not take a joke?

On 31 Mar 2009 at 6:01pm Bluewave wrote:
In which of the above posts did anyone make a joke?

On 31 Mar 2009 at 6:31pm LittleMissNaughty wrote:
I don't understand why you would label someone "unemployable," I happen to know a few of the wardens and they're decent and intelligent chaps.

On 31 Mar 2009 at 7:04pm Isle of Lewes wrote:
You can't be fined if the machine isn't working. A more artful solution than blowing up I feel.

On 31 Mar 2009 at 7:07pm cliff wrote:
i totaly agree with little miss naughty, the wardens are not the problem i too know a few and they are teachers who cant get jobs as none going and need a decent wage to surport there family's what you all dont understand is its the escc who control ncp and get the money and that they indeed dont get bonus ect they just get paid to cover street, and on the matter of permits there are far too many cars in this town anyway, myself have 1 car between the whole house so maybe you should think about that imagen if we didnt have zones? cars everywhere and you then be complaining about that! x

On 31 Mar 2009 at 8:14pm English Teacher. wrote:
I dispair,I really do....

On 31 Mar 2009 at 8:28pm speedy! wrote:
English Teacher,is it the parking problem or,the spelling and grammer that makes you dispair? :| :|

On 31 Mar 2009 at 9:33pm traffic warden wrote:
You want to try living in London or Brighton.
London double yellow lines, guess how long you get? 2 minutes!! how much is the fine? £100!
Brighton, Disabled bay. Do you think you'd only get a 35 ticket??
Hell no, Try having your car towed to hove pound, 135.
Everyone moans about parking in Lewes, but the council are reasonable, just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean there wrong.
Pay & display in Lewes outer areas 1.50 for a day. That's nothing, look at Brighton it's like 3.50 an hour. The high street is expensive, but they need to make the money back from stupid idiots blowing up meters.
Blame them for the shocking increase in charges.
People in Lewes need to come down to earth & not think there better than everyone else.

On 31 Mar 2009 at 9:44pm sam wrote:
totally agree with..... xx

On 31 Mar 2009 at 9:50pm E.T. wrote:
Grammar and smelling pistakes Speedy....

On 31 Mar 2009 at 10:10pm LittleMissNaughty wrote:
well done traffic warden, and don't worry you all do great jobs. get a life lewes residents!!

On 1 Apr 2009 at 1:07am Two Smoking Barrels wrote:
APPEAL EVERY TICKET
Here's the ESCC Parking bible. tells you when where and how to get your 'rights' www.eastsussex.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/E96FF7D3-A8AF-460C-8CDD-A394636F974E/17014/LMTE31March08item8AnnextoAppendixB1.pdf
Eat my lead

On 1 Apr 2009 at 1:34am Three smoking Barrels wrote:
AND THAT
www.eastsussex.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/E96FF7D3-A8AF-460C-8CDD-A394636F974E/16497/LMTE31March08item8.pdf
APPEAL EVERY TICKET

On 1 Apr 2009 at 2:15pm two smoking Beermonsters wrote:
Dear traffic warden, just because YOU agree with them doesnt make them right.
I live in central Lewes, have a residents permit, and park conscientiously. I have had 6 tickets in the last year. I appeal every time, - all overturned (except one) so far. Including one for being one day out of date on my residents permit. (You get 7days grace period). Another because the warden didnt spot my permit (I requested photos and there it was on his photos). no apology, apparently clerical error - I went to the parking adjudicator on another, - they didnt show up, again clerical error.
I work a lot in brighton and driving and parking are essential to my trade. I deliver goods to lots of businesses, I have had one parking ticket there in the last 4 years, which I challenged and had cancelled at the first request. I find the wardens there, as in a lot of other places, to be generally very much less sociophobic and more approachable, reasonable and understanding than the 'rules is rules' zealous lot in Lewes.
No Lewes is special they are running it very hard to set an example to the rest of east sussex. ESCC want us to give up, shut up, and pay up.
APPEAL EVERY TICKET
Check out these to get good info on appealing tickets
www.eastsussex.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/E96FF7D3-A8AF-460C-8CDD-A394636F974E/17014/LMTE31March08item8AnnextoAppendixB1.pdf
www.eastsussex.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/E96FF7D3-A8AF-460C-8CDD-A394636F974E/16497/LMTE31March08item8.pdf

On 1 Apr 2009 at 5:32pm Bluewave wrote:
Actually you can. Sorry you are wrong.

On 1 Apr 2009 at 5:35pm juliet99 wrote:
Actually tsbm, he didn't say he agreed with them. He said the council are reasonable, which they are. And all the CEOs are working under the same NCP rules, so the ones in Brighton are following the same guidelines as the Lewes ones. It doesn't change.

On 1 Apr 2009 at 5:40pm emily wrote:
Appeal every ticket? Even if you are blatantly in the wrong? Hmmm...doesn't make a lot of sense. If you're in the wrong and have parked illegally, just accept it, pay up and live with it. Put it down to experience.
I think it would create unecessary paperwork by the council who undoubtedly would just bump up the prices on us again anyway.

On 1 Apr 2009 at 8:24pm Isle of Lewes wrote:
Might be a bit of a sticky wicket of they are not allowing providing a functional meter. It would be too easy to challenge.

On 2 Apr 2009 at 9:26am hove actualy wrote:
last week i parked in an n.c.p car park multiy story, 5 hours for two pounds forty, it was clean, yes even the stairway !! it had fire equipment, rubbish bins, right next to the town hall ( what you thinking now ), and close to bars and shops, wjhat a bargin, and on return to lewes i parked on a very empty school hill, for 2 quid an hour, as noel says sense or nonsense ? roll on october, when changes must surley be made ? if not im sure november might get expensive !

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

It Takes Balls to be a Phoenix 47:132
It Takes Balls to be a Phoenix

Just because there are people able to organise a campaign and deal with the politics for something doesn't make them the best... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington