Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Panic buying

On 3 Feb 2017 at 9:18pm Community Fridge wrote:
Why do people panic buy? I see in the news that there has been a shortage of lettuce and broccoli in the supermarkets due to extreme weather in Spain. This has caused people to bulk buy, even includes people who normally wouldn't buy these items. In times of any crisis there always seems to be a human attraction to panic buying which always exacerbates the situation. When the Titanic was sinking did everyone flock to the gift shop to buy souvenirs ?
On 3 Feb 2017 at 9:19pm Adele wrote:
Who on Earth eats lettuce in the winter ??
On 3 Feb 2017 at 9:20pm Bobtail wrote:
I do.
On 3 Feb 2017 at 11:09pm Taff wrote:
Just the British selfish nature coming to the fore. Why are you so surprised?

On 4 Feb 2017 at 7:18am Landporter wrote:
The reason supermarkets restrict the sale of certain items is to stop commercial traders from buying up trollyfulls of them. If anyone has ever had the dubious pleasure of being in Tesco at around 6.30am, you would've noticed there are quite a few people with trolly's full of french bread, fruit and veg, tins of stuff, bottles of wine etc.
Personally i eat about one iceberg lettuce a week but i also love courgettes and broccoli. Oh well....cucumber and cauliflower for the moment.

On 4 Feb 2017 at 6:58pm Aldi Lidl wrote:
It's the vegetarians who are panicking! I just bought a tin of tomatoes to go in my chilli !!!

On 5 Feb 2017 at 6:59am Hot lips wrote:
People are nuts. What sane person bulk buys lettuce? You can't freeze it, so it will be a soggy mess in the fridge within a week.

On 5 Feb 2017 at 10:04pm Burger and a coffee wrote:
The French stick bulk buyers are the burger van owners . They do it every day and Tesco bakes accordingly.

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Railway Land Bridge 100:132
Railway Land Bridge

Nobody knows how those climate changes occurred, so those scientists have the same reaction as you. Ignore it and hope everyone... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington