Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Other stuff

On 29 Jun 2016 at 10:10am Lewes Female wrote:
Beans and leafy crops are doing well on the allotment. Saw a fox cub this morning. Loads of bees around in my garden. All lovely stuff.

On 29 Jun 2016 at 11:30am TIm wrote:
Worst year ever in the garden for me. Carrots didn't germinate, beetroot and lettuce disapear overnight, aphids decimated my young apple trees and now my sunflowers have blown over in the wind. The only thing that has really grown are my new potatoes, which despite not yet flowering are the size of tennis balls!
On 29 Jun 2016 at 4:11pm Horseman7 wrote:
You've done better than me then Tim - I've just binned 12 potato plants (grown in bags) due to the dreaded blight. Runner beans and kohl rabi have all been decimated by sluggery. On a happier note, lettuces growing 6 feet up a fence have so far evaded the snails. As for my rampant raspberries - myself and lots of neighbours are very happy with the results.

On 29 Jun 2016 at 4:26pm Tim wrote:
I've never grown or eaten Kohl Rabi. What do you do with it?
On 29 Jun 2016 at 5:16pm Horseman7 wrote:
It's sort of a cross between a turnip and a radish and, in my opinion, best treated as the latter. Cooked, I find it frankly disgusting but raw is another matter. I slice it horizontally, compost the top and tail sections, then lightly peel the circumference of each resulting circle. If it's a large specimen, I then slice these sections into batons. It's lovely in salad or grated on to the top of a curry. A lot of the time I eat it as a desk snack (home worker), either alone or with peanut butter. The slugs don't bother to peel it and aren't worried about the peanut butter.

On 29 Jun 2016 at 7:08pm Tim wrote:
Thanks, I think I'll add it to my seed list for next year. I'm always on the lookout for something different.

31 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Normans Helmet 94:132
Normans Helmet

Tom. You clearly think the answer to the question of who pays the interest to the IMF and what else it provides is interesting.... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like it when people find lost stuff on the forum
Jim