Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Onion set

On 9 Dec 2017 at 11:59am Gardener Girl wrote:
Just bought some autumn onion sets at wyevaleat a knock down price. Would it be ok to keep them and plant early spring?
Any onion growing experts out there?
On 9 Dec 2017 at 1:12pm Bert wrote:
Not really, they should have been planted in October, that's why you got them cheap. They usually rot in wet cold soil over the winter anyway and they don't store very well after they are harvested in June. To be avoided.
On 9 Dec 2017 at 1:42pm Horseman7 wrote:
I agree with Bert. But put them in regardless. They've then got 2 choices......
On 9 Dec 2017 at 6:10pm Percy Throw up wrote:
You could try potting them up individually if you have a cold frame or cold greenhouse to house them over the winter. You can then plant them out when it warms up in March/ April. Be careful though, they will need to be hardened off before they go outside.
On 9 Dec 2017 at 9:22pm Gardener Girl wrote:
Excellent idea Percy. Thanks

On 10 Dec 2017 at 12:36am Dexter wrote:
I planted onions late. A total failure for the next year that coincided with potato blight. I gave up & lawned over most of the vegetable patch. Two years later some fabulous onion plants burst through my lawn.
Lesson: Onions have a mind of their own and without doubt a better one than mine.

31 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Station Street Lewes 111:132
Station Street Lewes

Sloanes - very much a Browns type brasserie, all day drinks and food. We’ll conceived, but woefully managed and underfunded.... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina