Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

One Way Or Not One Way

On 16 Jul 2011 at 1:50pm Shouter wrote:
I'm just recovering after shouting at some bloke in a 4WD who almost ran my son over. He was about 8 inches away from getting squashed. Agh! This charming chap had decided he could drive the "wrong way" down Cliffe High Street so he could "pick up his antiques".
What the hell is going on with this pathetic bit of road/pedestrianised area? It's totally confusing for adults, let alone 4 year olds. I suppose it will take a few people getting injured or worse before something sensible gets done. Rrrrghhh!
On 16 Jul 2011 at 2:22pm Decent Citizen wrote:
Hope your child(and you) are okay after this nasty shock. Recently there was a police operation down Cliffe pointing out the error of their ways. I did tell them that a week day was not the best day to choose but, Saturday was! Yep, seen it myself, pedestrian precinct? I don"t think so. Nor do the ignorant by the look and sound of it. How do Eastbourne manage, but we cannot?
On 16 Jul 2011 at 2:30pm Decent Citizen wrote:
I suppose only heavily cobbling the street to slow the wayward drivers would be one answer. Only thing with that is, for the disabled and those using scooters,wheelchairs,etc,the toll on ones bones is just awful. Mind you , I would rather suffer that than small children being injured. This would be when we are forced into the road by the selfish people using the outdoor seating ,not leaving enough pavement!
On 16 Jul 2011 at 4:04pm Troll Head wrote:
Umad bro?

On 16 Jul 2011 at 4:13pm Vesbod wrote:
Report them to the Police, and demand something is done !!

On 16 Jul 2011 at 9:22pm Decent Citizen wrote:
Troll Head WHAT! I am guessing you do not appreciate my comment! Why would that be?YOU drive down a pedestrian area and give no thought to others?It happens to be a fact that tables chairs etc block the pavement leaving no option for disabled folk, but to go in the road. YOU try sitting in a wheelchair or mobility scooter and go onto the cobbles.

On 16 Jul 2011 at 9:54pm Cabbage Cafe wrote:
Bill's rule the Cliffe High Street and can do no wrong.
To the uneducated a pedestrian precinct is where you create an obstacle course with your table & chairs.
Sod the taxpaying public I do what I want ..............OK?

On 16 Jul 2011 at 9:55pm Cabbage Cafe wrote:
p.s. Profit before peasants.

On 17 Jul 2011 at 12:36am mr happy wrote:
well why did you let your young 4 year old move away from you side . sorry to say but you need to look at your seft not just the driver of the car
hope you son is ok

On 17 Jul 2011 at 2:02am Paul Newman wrote:
test

On 17 Jul 2011 at 9:08am Shaken not stirred wrote:
No to more cobbles. Cyclists unite!

On 17 Jul 2011 at 9:08am Shouter wrote:
You're all missing the point. This was near the Morris Road end, nothing to do with tables and chairs, and on the other side of the road anyway. I was talking to my other son at the time. The 4 year old had looked down the road to where the cars normally come from (why would cars "normally" come down a pedestrianised area?) and he stepped out onto the pebbles to narrowly miss Mr 4x4 Antique Buyer.
Why are vehicles travelling the wrong way down a pedestrian only street?

On 17 Jul 2011 at 9:26am Winterbourne Wanderer wrote:
Hi Shouter, I'm not exactly sure where you mean, but at the far end of the Cliffe cars *can* come up from South Street. They aren't allowed onto the cobbles but must turn left into Morris Road. Was this where you meant?

On 17 Jul 2011 at 10:20am I'm alright Jack! wrote:
NO to uninsured cyclists too!

On 17 Jul 2011 at 11:03am Shaken not stired wrote:
And no to uninsured pedestrians too!
And errr.. pets.

On 17 Jul 2011 at 11:56am Shouter wrote:
WW, this was between the antiques emporium and Feathers and Fins, on the cobbled area for pedestrians.
Who could I contact in authority to try to get something done about it? Not sure I'd like to find out someone got seriously hurt and I'd not mentioned it to the council or whoever.

On 17 Jul 2011 at 1:49pm I'm a driver and a walker. wrote:
I think I'm with winterbourne wanderer in agreeing that he may have been in the right. Whatever it is very unclear to motorists and pedestrians who can or can't go where and really needs some proper signage batween Cliffe bridge and south street.

On 17 Jul 2011 at 2:27pm Dave wrote:
The bit shouter is talking about is in the cobbled section and is a pedestrian priority area with vehicular access allowed one way from the Cliffe bridge end to Morris Road so the guy in the gas guzzling monster was in the wrong but I have to say the signage (the motorbike and car in a red circle) could be better like for instance a No Entry sign

On 17 Jul 2011 at 10:46pm Bob wrote:

You need to contact/complain to High Ways.

On 18 Jul 2011 at 9:27am Cliffite wrote:
I regularly stand in the way of vehicles driving the wrong way down Cliffe High St, much to their annoyance. However it is not a "car-free pedestrianised zone" so traffic is still allowed one way down.
The problem is the signage by Fur Feather & Fins is the "no motor vehicles" sign which most motorised road users don't seem to understand means "No Entry". It used to be a "No Entry" sign and needs to go back. There also needs to be a blue, one-way arrow on Harveys for traffic that comes out of Argos carpark, reminding them that they should go right not left over Cliffe Bridge.
However not sure what complaining to the Police would achieve since I always see patrol cars going the wrong way too.

On 18 Jul 2011 at 9:53am Ed Can Do wrote:
Are you sure it's one way on that stretch now though? I was under the impression that the whole road was a two way street but with vehicular access limited to loading and unloading. I have in fact driven down it the "wrong" way myself to pick up stuff from the JHT and on that occassion a police car followed me down without batting an eyelid (Although this was pretty late at night). I believed the removal of the no entry sign was deliberate as the road is in fact now two-way.

Sure people shouldn't use it as a through road and you do need to drive extremely slowly and carefully if you have occasion to be loading or unloading down there but I think the situation needs clarifying as to which way one can, or cannot drive along it as well as some pedestrian education that it's not actually a completely pedestrianised road and there will be cars on it from time to time.

On 18 Jul 2011 at 10:17am Cliffite wrote:
The sign by Fur, Feathers & Fins is very clearly the red circle with a car and a bike within and text "No Motor Vehicles" underneath. This means "No Entry"
Although the red circle signs seem to be ignored in general in Lewes, like the "No Cyclists" one on the entrance to North Court red brick pathway coming off Cliffe High St towards Harveys Way

On 18 Jul 2011 at 10:18am Cliffite wrote:
And how can it be two-way when the road works specifically narrowed the road aspect of the street, meaning that when cars do come together head-on, one has to mount the pavement to get passed the other!?

On 18 Jul 2011 at 10:49am Clifford wrote:
Cliffite wrote: 'Although the red circle signs seem to be ignored in general in Lewes, like the "No Cyclists" one on the entrance to North Court red brick pathway coming off Cliffe High St towards Harveys Way'
Guilty!

On 18 Jul 2011 at 11:05am Cliffite wrote:
*past the other /sigh

On 18 Jul 2011 at 12:09pm Ed Can Do wrote:
At the risk of sounding pedantic, the sign with a motorbike and car on means no motor vehicles, not no entry, i.e. you are allowed to cycle or ride a horse up Cliffe High Street from the bottom. I was under teh impression that the reason they replaced the no entry sign with a no motor vehicles sign was that no entry signs are almost always absolute whereas no motor vehicles signs often come with caveats, such as when you used to be allowed to drive up Western Road in Brighton in the evenings and on weekends and they used a no motor vehicles sign with an exception underneath. If memory serves (and forgive me if I'm wrong here) but there is a similar no motor vehicles sign at the other end out the back of the Riverside only that one says except for loading and unloading.

Now if the one by Morris Road has no additional information (And I honestly can't remember if it does or not) then you're correct and people shouldn't drive up that way (Unless on a bike or horse) and a no entry sign would prevent cyclists using the road. I'm sure that when the initial plans went in though the plan was for the road to be two way for loading and unloading which might be where many people, myself included, are getting confused. Sadly though, I can't find the details anywhere on the council's website.

On 18 Jul 2011 at 12:20pm Cliffite wrote:
No apology needed, you are correct. In this case was specifically referring to it essentially meaning "No Entry" (for motorised vehicles, i.e cars, which this thread was originally started to complain about)

On 18 Jul 2011 at 7:52pm Mercian wrote:
I know quite a few people from the Continent rwho live in Lewes and love it, but are completely amazed / baffled that more of the town is not pedestrianised and so much is ruined by traffic.

On 18 Jul 2011 at 8:26pm chillie123 wrote:
Make me and my fellow Cliffites happy - just do not drive up or down Cliffe High St. Why would you need to?

On 19 Jul 2011 at 8:39am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
You do if you're picking up a barrel of bright from Harveys or a 15kg sack of dog food from Fur, Feather and Fins.

On 19 Jul 2011 at 9:21am Short Cut Taker wrote:
shouter wrote '(why would cars "normally" come down a pedestrianised area?)
'Cause it ain't a 'pedestrianised area'. Business' need deliveries, I know people like you let your brats roam free to the annoyance of everyone, but try and at least take some responsibility for them now and again.

On 19 Jul 2011 at 9:40am TeDeum wrote:
What a lovely man.

On 19 Jul 2011 at 9:44am Cliffite wrote:
Also guilty as driving down (the right, one way) Cliffe High St but as I live on the street, sometimes have to drop off shopping, load stuff into the car etc. But it's not an official, wholly pedestrianised area as far as I am aware

On 19 Jul 2011 at 10:06am Ratty wrote:
Isn't the problem the speed that some vehicles are driven down Cliffe High Street? Sometimes there will be one person in the car/van/lorry expecting the dozens of pedestrian shoppers to scuttle out of ther way just because they are in a vehicle expecting to drive at their usual speed. If the occasional vehicle is driven at walking pace giving way to pedestrians then there shouldn't really be a problem.

On 19 Jul 2011 at 10:32am Southover Queen wrote:
The sign at the Morris Rd end is quite clear: "Pedestrian Area" with motorised vehicles clearly identified as being forbidden. I don't quite see how this can be construed as not being a pedestrianised area. From the other side of the bridge the sign prohibits motor vehicles except those requiring access, which presumably accounts for deliveries to and from businesses. Most of the traffic is just using it as a short cut because they can't be bothered to go all the way round town. It's got nothing to do with Bill's tables on the pavement and everything to do with selfish, lazy drivers. Here's a photo taken in October last year...

Check it out here »

On 19 Jul 2011 at 11:51am Cliffite wrote:
There's always loads of cars parked on the pavement "loading area" around 6-8pm - where are the owners? In Bill's? John Harveys? The bookies?

On 19 Jul 2011 at 1:33pm Old Cynic wrote:
Fairly typical Southover Queen! I also see people driving in the other direction and they look amazed when you tell them its one way. I have occassionally driven down there myself - usually to pick up heavy stuff or drop off heavy stuff at the charity shops but I always feel shiffty doing it and bikes, of course, seem to go in either direction, on the pavement and at whatever speed takes their fancy

On 19 Jul 2011 at 1:37pm Southover Queen wrote:
That picture was taken mid-afternoon. In another shot taken at the same time,
there are four cars parked on the pavement along with a lorry. There are also four cars driving along the "pedestrian" area - the pedestrians are peeking around the lorry waiting for the queue of traffic to ease off. No-one would mind the occasional vehicle coming to load up with heavy purchases from the shops, but anyone who dodges the stream of regular traffic down there knows that most of them are taking an illegal shortcut. Nothing to do with Bills, the bookies or the pubs, I'd suggest, just selfish drivers who have decided that the law doesn't apply to them.

On 19 Jul 2011 at 1:44pm Dixon wrote:
Report them to Sussex Police's Operation Crackdown. If more than two people report the same vehicle they get investigated.
operationcrackdown.org

On 19 Jul 2011 at 9:33pm Mercian wrote:
Ratty - I agree. I have also witnessed drivers barrelling down there like it's a normal road, expecting pedestrians/kids. People should drive there at the same speed they would in a busy car park - drivers wouldn't expect parents with buggies etc. to get out of the way immediately there would they? But they do on Cliffe High Street. 5mph would suffice.

On 20 Jul 2011 at 10:14am Shouter wrote:
I rang ESCC yesterday and the bloke there said that it is a "one way pedestrianised area with access for businesses and residents".
He also said that the correct signage is in place. I suggested that the signs weren't clear and were not understood by the average driver. He didn't have much to say about that.
Someone else is calling me to discuss further...

On 20 Jul 2011 at 10:37am giveitarest wrote:
On the subject of crap ESCC signage, when you exit Court Road at the mini roundabout a one way sign gives you the impression that you can only turn left into Friar's Walk although it's fine to go right towards Eastgate St.
The sign is not 'wrong' as such, but it is misleading. The trouble with the clowns in ESCC highways is that they are unable to distinguish between what the written standards tell them to do and what would actually be sensible in any given situation.

On 20 Jul 2011 at 6:40pm old Cynic wrote:
The fact that we have had a long debate about this and dont understand the traffic regulations in relation to this road strongly suggests that the traffic arrangements made by ESCC are crap and need looking at - get the local councillor on the case!

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Cliffe Tableau 2015 Alight 22:132
Cliffe Tableau 2015 Alight

I think it is unlikely that the IMF will be involved at all in our deficit Tom. The government have offered to give lots of money... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina