Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Old Magistrates Court.

On 9 Oct 2014 at 5:46pm Realist wrote:
SDNPA held their planning meeting today to discuss demolition of Courthouse and building of a Premier Inn. Again the planning committee went against the SDNPA officers recommendation to accept the proposal. The majority said that the plans were unsatisfactory.
Shock of the meeting was a Mr Dicks Of Conservation Area Advisory Group who spoke on behalf of the developer to recommend the new building!!! His group will not let you change the colour of your front door but will recommend a development which the Planning committee members rejected.
Maybe Mr Dicks should learn about architecture from the far more capable planning committee members who would like to see the Lewes Conservation Area protected not destroyed.
Any of the Bonfire Societies looking for an effigy?
Result is that the decision was deferred, for the developers to try harder and raise the bar. I'm not sure that their legs are long enough.
On 9 Oct 2014 at 5:59pm Mr Richards wrote:
The due process of law is demonstrated again !
On 9 Oct 2014 at 6:01pm Lenny Henry wrote:
Go for it - Katanga , my friends !!!!
On 9 Oct 2014 at 6:07pm trooper wrote:
"Realist" Many thanks for your posting very informative if not totally encouraging.
On 9 Oct 2014 at 6:39pm Lewe Resident wrote:
Mr Dicks is clueless , and has no qualifications that I know of (someone correct me if I am wrong). Why he has not been ousted from that group would be a complete mystery, until you realise that it is simply an arm of our equally dodgy LDC Planning Dept.
This application could be great, well designed, even modern and controversial, and still benefit the town, if we had a competent set of planning officers offering consistent good advice about what high standards we expect. This is an affluent town, where projects can budget for expensive high calibre design, because the financial returns are much higher. Instead this is yet another debacle, with shoddy, inappropriate, generic kit form design of the worst kind endorsed by a sloppy culture of LDC planning department mediocrity. We can only congratulate our Councillors, for perhaps finally realising what most of us have known has been going on for years. Planning officers are failing to get the best for an important historic towns, which relies on tourists who certainly do not come here to see poor quality modern architecture.
On 9 Oct 2014 at 7:23pm OLDTIMER wrote:
Wonderful post Lewes Resident; my thoughts entirely. The LDC planning dept is beyond 'mediocre' and 'sloppy culture'. I wonder at their ill advised decisions over the years and try not to think the very worst. But crimes of 'ignorance' so often have been committed within the Conservation Area - I could give a good guided tour to alienated tourists!
On 9 Oct 2014 at 9:34pm Erm wrote:
The application is actually being dealt with by the SDNPA planners not LDC planners, facts eh, who needs them?
On 10 Oct 2014 at 8:38am Ben wrote:
Why does anyone expect the planning dept etc to have any idea about design, or be experts in this field. I'm sure they all aspired to be Norman Foster, but once you have worked your way down the job app list and failed at every interview......the last stop is always the planning dept. In this graveyard of ambition you will find many Mr Dicks.

On 10 Oct 2014 at 9:39am trooper wrote:
I and I am sure many others will have read the posts with interest and as a resident of many years and and like others has a deep interest in the well being of our town,I would ask does anyone have knowledge of how much longer this fiasco will continue ??
On 10 Oct 2014 at 9:50am ducatipete wrote:
Dick by name etc.
On 10 Oct 2014 at 9:54am tobnac wrote:
Ben, you normally post sense, but not today. I work in a planning dept (though not in the local area). Planning is anything but the graveyard of ambition. I work with bright, motivated, well qualified people who want to do the best for the communities they work for. None of them are failed architects. In lewes I've noticed that the planners are very strong on looking after the existing historic environment, but perhaps not quite so good on new design. I suspect they are worried about losing at appeal if they refuse applications on purely design grounds. They clearly have the skills and I'm sure they have the sense - they just need a bit more bottle!

On 10 Oct 2014 at 12:18pm Resident wrote:
Trooper, I share your concerns, I think the developers approach is to keep on making minor "improvements" until the objectors and planning committee are worn down and give in to a mediocre design.
Tobnac, You may well be right about the appeal, I hope that they committee continue to challenge poor design and are not influenced by money.
The money offered for S106 planning gain was also thought to be minimal.
On 10 Oct 2014 at 6:48pm Grade 2 * wrote:
Well said tobnac

On 10 Oct 2014 at 8:41pm DisapointedTeen wrote:
Whilst i respect most of your views, I do not agree with Ducatipete. As Anthony Dicks' granddaughter, I more than anyone else understand we have a surname that we can NEVER google. But I never thought that an adult that would sink as low as the bitchy teenage girls I am forced to encounter with everyday. Please, if you can't think of any good reasons to insult him, don't just go after our comically tragic surname.
On 11 Oct 2014 at 7:08pm Realist wrote:
The artist's illusion of how the new hotel will look is on the front page of the Sussex Express. Note that the perspectives are wrong, the pavements are too wide, also the hotel looks small. Compare it with the true elevation picture in link.

View the picture »
On 12 Oct 2014 at 10:03am John Stockdale wrote:
Anthony Dicks is the Chair of Lewes Conservation Area Advisory Group and he speaks at planning meetings on behalf of the Group. LCAAG includes architects, planners, at least one surveyor, representatives of the Georgian and Victorian Society and a couple of councillors and they review all applications in the Conservation Area and comment on many of them. There are elements of good design that are universally accepted, but there are many others that are just a matter of taste. Quora's original application was rejected because the design wasn't good enough. Quora sponsored but did not attend a CABE managed workshop to look at the issues raised and their revised design was a response to the ideas that arose from the workshop. LCAAG thought the new design cleared the bar. The Committee clearly didn't. IMO, that's an issue for debate, not an issue for boiling the spokesperson in oil. I should add that Anthony is an old friend of mine. But I like to think I'd have spoken up for him if I didn't know him.
On 12 Oct 2014 at 3:17pm Anthony Dicks wrote:
Thank you, John.
And to Ducatipete:
It's a shame that unpleasant people like you are able to hide behind an alias. It's especially sad that you tarnish the name of a fantastic range of bikes.
Anthony Dicks

On 12 Oct 2014 at 3:32pm trooper wrote:
"Ducatipete" ignorant pathetic troll.

On 12 Oct 2014 at 8:12pm Norton Norm wrote:
Bit harsh , Pete.

On 15 Oct 2014 at 10:13pm arthur wrote:
Anthony Dicks, aren't you the man who as "Voice for Lewes" championed a dinosaur theme park as a way forward for the town?

On 15 Oct 2014 at 10:37pm Whatr Theyon wrote:
Ah yes proposed by Dicks and Wiseman, say no more!!

On 16 Oct 2014 at 4:31pm Watareyewon wrote:
Give Mr. Dicks some credit , he`s not going to come on here with various pseudonyms and make silly comments for fun .

15 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Down the Pan 32:132
Down the Pan

Hm, I could recommend you Chameleon decorators and windows restoration This company uses vacuum-sealed double glazing technology... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare