Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Oi Lewes residents!

On Thu 22 Feb at 9:08am janet street preacher wrote:
Let's talk about something that's been buzzing around our town lately - the ever-growing debate on the impact of tourism in Lewes. Now, before you roll your eyes or scroll past, hear me out. This is more than just your average "DFL vs. locals" discussion. We' need to ask some tough questions.
Yes, we all love the picturesque charm of our town. The cobbled streets, the historic landmarks, bonfire - they're what make Lewes so special. But have we reached a tipping point? Are we sacrificing our identity and quality of life for the sake of tourism?
Let's talk about the overcrowded streets during peak tourist seasons. The constant stream of coaches clogging up our roads, making it a nightmare for locals just to run errands or commute to work. And don't get me started on the strain it puts on our infrastructure - from parking shortages to potholes and with the Phoenix development its going to get much worse.
But it's not just about inconvenience. It's about preserving the soul of Lewes. Are we at risk of becoming a caricature of ourselves, catering solely to the demands of outsiders? Are we losing sight of what made this town so special in the first place - its authenticity, its sense of community?
Now, I know what some of you might be thinking. Tourism brings money, supports local businesses, and keeps our economy afloat. And yes, that's true to an extent. But at what cost? Are we willing to sacrifice our peace and quiet, our sense of belonging, for the sake of a few extra quid?
I'm not saying we should close our doors to visitors altogether. but perhaps it's time to rethink our approach to tourism. To find a balance that benefits both visitors and residents alike. Whether it's implementing stricter regulations on tour groups, investing in better infrastructure, or promoting alternative attractions to ease the burden on our town center.
If we don't address these issues now, we risk losing the very essence of what makes our town so special. And that's a price none of us can afford to pay.

On Thu 22 Feb at 6:53pm Nevillman wrote:
I can't say I've noticed 'overcrowded streets', 'constant stream of coaches' or feel that the we are 'at risk of becoming a caricature of ourselves' (well I don't think I am). There's a few tourists about but I'm happy to welcome them here and hope they enjoy the town while spending a few bob. I certainly wouldn't remotely blame tourists for the potholes.
Increased tourism worldwide is mainly due to increased prosperity with people spending some of it on increased leisure activities like visiting other places. I expect to be at least tolerated if not welcomed when I visit other places and feel obliged to feel the same about tourists coming here.
I'm all in favour of coach parks and any infrastructure improvements that make Lewes more enjoyable for tourists and locals. You sound like your in favour of restricting numbers of tourists. I'm instinctively against that but how do you propose it could be done?

On Thu 22 Feb at 8:34pm janet street preacher wrote:
To reduce tourist numbers in Lewes, the council could implement measures such as limiting advertising campaigns, promoting alternative destinations nearby, increasing accommodation costs through taxes or fees, implementing visitor quotas, regulating tour bus access, diversifying attractions to appeal to a niche market, and improving infrastructure in neighboring towns to disperse tourist traffic. Additionally, community engagement programs could educate locals about the impacts of overtourism, encouraging them to promote responsible tourism practices and preserve the town's cultural and environmental integrity. Collaboration with relevant tourist boards and implementing seasonal restrictions could also help manage visitor numbers sustainably.

On Fri 23 Feb at 8:55am Bananus Hippledick wrote:
Why would you want to restrict the potential income to Lewes businesses? Would the local museums survive without tourism? A survey in 2018 showed in the Lewes district area tourism is worth £221 million to local businesses and the economy. Food and drink spend was £70 million. Nearly 4000 jobs rely on tourism. Would that pay for improvements on local infrastructure?

On Fri 23 Feb at 10:29am Nevillman wrote:
Isn't it also about just being pleasant and welcoming to visitors to our town as I would expect others to be pleasant and welcoming to me if I visit theirs? Quotas, taxes and fees would not achieve this.

On Sun 25 Feb at 3:48pm SHS-2 wrote:
I agree with JSP. We should promote Earwig Corner, and perhaps Beddingham, as alternative destinations nearby.
Those Lewesians running hotels, b&b or Airb&b should increase their accommodation prices and restrict how many people they take (perhaps a maximum of 2 people per week?). Tour buses could be restricted to the A27. More infrastructure in neighboring towns need not be expensive, even some extra parking restrictions and removal of public toilets should help. Currently Lewes traders just don't have the floorspace or staff to cope with the huge number of shoppers so something has to be done. Perhaps we should remove the bus station and cancel some trains?

On Wed 28 Feb at 4:29pm Tom Pain wrote:
The 15 minute neighbourhoods will sort it all out.

On Thu 29 Feb at 3:39pm Green Sleeves wrote:
Can we not make it a 5 minute neighbourhood? I hate travelling.

On Fri 8 Mar at 5:44pm Nevillman wrote:
I have recently revisited earwig corner and beddingham and agree with SHS that they have much to offer tourists looking for a tourist destination for several days. The allotments at earwig corner could become a coach park and campsite as could the grounds surrounding the church at beddingham. This should help to keep central Lewes tourist free to please Janet.

On Sat 9 Mar at 3:07pm Cedric wrote:
Why not just divert the river Ouse to form a moat around Lewes and thus alleviate the flooding problems at Barcombe at the same time.
There could be a ferry service provided at the entry points to Lewes to make a bit of cash and allow deliveries of healthy plant foods and to provide money for the clean up of the moat and allow wild swimming for residents only.
Ban all motoring within the area to solve the pothole problems.
Off for a lie down in a darkened room after all the effort solving JSP’s gripes.

On Sat 20 Apr at 9:41pm Anonymous wrote:
Yes Cedric great idea! We could bring back the parliamentary guard too and have a community project to rebuild the castle walls. Keep em foreigners out!

26 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Kingston Windmill 51:132
Kingston Windmill

It's a bit spammy and buggy is the old forum, but broadly speaking it still just about works.

Good to see brother sleeves... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde