Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Offham Roadworks

On 24 Mar 2018 at 3:30am Lopster wrote:
Exciting new crossing nearly finished at Weald Close - presumably to safeguard the school kids on their way to The Pells
- how many others cross there?
Now we struggle to negotiate Kingsley Road courtesy of the 8 months gas works thatís been filling Landport road with mud.
What next...
On 24 Mar 2018 at 9:02am Tufty wrote:
Personally, I'm slightly bemused by its location. I would have thought it would have been better placed at the "Piggy Steps" where far more people cross the road. Hopefully they'll build one there as well.
On 24 Mar 2018 at 11:43am Ronald wrote:
Three and a half months for a crossing. Why?
On 24 Mar 2018 at 3:30pm Local drinker v wrote:
It has takeen 25 years to get this crossing. A petition to get a crossing at the Piggy Steps was handed in to ESCC last week. I fear it will be many more years before the Piggy Steps one gets a crossing. Sadly, the only way of getting things like this to the top of the County council list is a fatality - really. If there is a serious accident, then the Council will bring forward things like new crossings. But, keep the pressure up on the council. Contact your Town and district councillor and ask them, repeatedly, for a new crossing.
On 24 Mar 2018 at 5:29pm SHS wrote:
How about a crossing at the north end of the station railway bridge / bottom of Station St / not a million miles from The Lansdowne? Five roads intersect here and many people cross and are cross !
On 24 Mar 2018 at 9:29pm Local wrote:
Agreed SHS - that is becoming quite a chaotic junction.
On 24 Mar 2018 at 9:56pm menthal wrote:
Quite amusing since the reason it was there was for the kids going to Pells school which has now closed
On 24 Mar 2018 at 11:49pm Local wrote:
Knob.
An enormous number of people of all ages cross the road on that blind corner, not just one school's kids.
On 25 Mar 2018 at 10:54am The Old Mayor wrote:
People can no longer cross the road without pressing a button nowadays. It's all part of the dumbing down programme !
On 25 Mar 2018 at 9:13pm Q wrote:
The real problem is the cost of installing a new crossing. Would anyone care to guess at the cost of the Offham Road crossing and the expected Brighton Road crossing? I don't suppose it's less than 50K. In some countries they simply have poles each side of the crossing with spiral windmills on top of a large disc with day glow orange on one side and the other black. No need to dig the road surface for electricity supply so no need to interrupt traffic flow. Painting the road surface only takes a few minutes. Fatal cost below 5K. Maybe not so perfect but at that cost there could be many more of them.

On 8 Apr 2018 at 11:24pm Smallminded wrote:
Why object to Lewes roads being safer for everyone? This isn't LA, it's a small town which wasn't built for the volume, size, and speed of the traffic that goes through it on a daily basis. ESCC need to think about the Grenfell Tower and The council if they are using the imbalanced argument of 'no fatalities'... only a matter of time, and stupidity...

26 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes religion 77:132
Lewes religion

Sorry Patrice, responses go directly on here it but it looks as though noone has responded. You might get more of a response from... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the fact it's safe enough to leave windows open and shops don't need to put grills up at night.
Maddie