Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Odd standards in Lewes pub food

On 10 Mar 2013 at 1:17pm Castle Gate wrote:
In some parts of central London, expensive and self-appointed "exclusive" members' clubs for the nouveau-riche media types exist. Here amid the braying noise and identical haircuts, for astronomical prices, one may order food and drink to accompany one's business conversation.

However, the food is overwrought, over-priced, and most dissatisfying. For example, the "cheese" may consist of four geometrically-arranged slivers of celery, two slices of artisan bread, and such thin cuts of cheese close to the rind as one would normally throw from one's fridge in order to begin another. After half-an-hour, presumably to fetch the celery from the Vale of Evesham by helicopter, the cheese plate would arrive. Something as simple as a hearty bowl of chips, to satisfy real hunger after a long walk across London, would be met by the phrase, "we've run out of chips", rather than the chef's commitment: "give me a minute; I'll cut some more".

Although in a pub in Mayfair, I was recently sold house Champagne for £25 a bottle, one of these clubs would consider charging £21 and up for the cheapest bottle of Prosecco.

On the brighter side, the cutlery is usually nicely polished.

The other evening, in an ordinary-looking pub in Lewes, I received exactly this level of service. The description given above is accurate. It was neither a hotel nor a wine bar: just a pub.

If you work at a pub but do not recognise the description above as your own premises, you probably already count Mrs Gate and me among your frequent and satisfied customers. However, for a friend's birthday, we went to another pub, which used to be a little more earthy: but no more. We were so bitterly disappointed by the change that this note composed itself later that night while we waited at the reliable and friendly Charcoal Grill for an urgent, substantial, pizza.
On 10 Mar 2013 at 1:38pm Dear God wrote:
I always thought you were stuck up your own @rse. You've just confirmed it with the above.

On 10 Mar 2013 at 2:38pm Townie wrote:
Just tell us which pub it was, then people can argue for or against it

On 10 Mar 2013 at 4:54pm old Cynic wrote:
Goodness what a long winded post - get to the point which pub was it and then we can discuss!
On 10 Mar 2013 at 6:44pm I.dc wrote:
Who cares

On 11 Mar 2013 at 2:25pm brixtonbelle wrote:
bet it was the kings head. we've had overpriced food exactly like that there and not gone back.

although went to the snowdrop the other night and discovered they don't do side orders of chunky chips any more, which is a shame.

31 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

South Downs Way 115:143
South Downs Way

Were the Borough Zulus blacking up last night? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes